Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Helios 40 & Cyclop 85mm f/1.5 - A7R
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 2:30 pm    Post subject: Helios 40 & Cyclop 85mm f/1.5 - A7R Reply with quote

Still testing out my new camera Wink
Wide open shots

Last edited by Nordentro on Sun Dec 15, 2013 1:52 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

edited

Last edited by bernhardas on Tue Apr 26, 2016 1:12 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you need to continue with even more tests, especially when your pretty lady is in the frame, purely for photographic reasons of course, honest! Razz

Edit; but seriously, great looking shots Very Happy

Last edited by SonicScot on Sat Dec 07, 2013 11:34 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Incredible series, breathtaking !

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NIce ones Lars!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perfect shots with perfect lens Very Happy

The second photo is top

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jealous! can't wait to see more shots of the helios-40 on full frame!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great shots, Nrdentro, the one with the wife in the tunnel is superb, shows exactly the 3 most evident characteristics of this lens which pleases me more: the sharpness, the color rendering and the bokeh,

Chers,

Renato

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1

dream lens

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, great! Especially no. 2!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was -40 when I picked up my A7r, was a bit warmer today but didn't get out to shoot. Sad
Tomorrow should be not too bad.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

-40?!? Shocked Shocked

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

-40 in Calgary Shocked
Have seen some great FF samples from this lens with some Canon 5Ds already so not in doubt that it'll render great results. But is the 36mp really a big improvement compared to the 5D iii's 23.4 mp sensor for MF lenses?

I've heard some claim that the A7 is a better choice for old MF lenses because it doesn't demand such high resolution from the lens compared to the A7R, so if you are planning on using a bunch of old MFs the A7 is a better choice, is that true?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bruzzo wrote:
-40 in Calgary Shocked
Have seen some great FF samples from this lens with some Canon 5Ds already so not in doubt that it'll render great results. But is the 36mp really a big improvement compared to the 5D iii's 23.4 mp sensor for MF lenses?

I've heard some claim that the A7 is a better choice for old MF lenses because it doesn't demand such high resolution from the lens compared to the A7R, so if you are planning on using a bunch of old MFs the A7 is a better choice, is that true?

Only true on wide RF lenses Wink
But retrofocus wide angle lenses are ok (slr lenses)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lightshow wrote:
Was -40 when I picked up my A7r, was a bit warmer today but didn't get out to shoot. Sad

Let me know how the camera works in -40 Laughing

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nordentro wrote:
Lightshow wrote:

-40°C or -40°Fahrenheit ?

-40°C is very cold Smile The coldest I've ever experienced was in switzerland in winter on a mountain during a snow storm, 2500-3000m above sea level; -41°C . Definately not nice weather for photography. Some cameras like Kiev 60 already stop working reliable below 10°C ^^

Last edited by ForenSeil on Mon Dec 09, 2013 12:51 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ForenSeil wrote:
Nordentro wrote:
Lightshow wrote:

-40°C or -40°Fahrenheit (+4.4°C Very Happy)

-40°C is very cold Smile ....

-40°Fahrenheit is also very cold. You might want to check the conversion.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wonderful photos !

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

-40C and -40F exactly same temperature.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kryss wrote:
-40C and -40F exactly same temperature.

lol, ups Very Happy

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A great lens! I love that swirly bokeh.
I always wanted to get one, but those are really expensive in Poland (cheapest go for $350). There's also a different version of that lens named Cyclop 85/1.5 and even Cyclop 85/1.2 (sic! but image quality of that one is rather poor). It doesn't have aperture at all, but who needs aperture if you have so thin focus plane Wink

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking of Cyclop, I was wondering how it would look in comparison. FF is definitely the format for best Helios results - it really brings out the flaws in the lens; the flaws are what we now value.

When I first looked at -40°, I thought this must be C and is warmer than F, which I'm more familiar. But no, same temperature? I didn't do the conversion. I have never experienced -40F and do not wish to ever. I have been in below zero F and don't like it much. The last time I was in as cold as +8°F, I got a flat tire from the cold and after changing it had to go back home to thaw out and then worked from home that day. I moved south and this weekend was in 50sF and we were complaining.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Woodrim, +8F is Bikini weather here in Calgary Alberta.last Friday it was - 42C and a windchill made it -52C i.e..2mins.exposure and hello frostbite.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RSalles wrote:
Great shots, Nrdentro, the one with the wife in the tunnel is superb, shows exactly the 3 most evident characteristics of this lens which pleases me more: the sharpness, the color rendering and the bokeh,

+1 for #2 image.