Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Jupiter 21a
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:48 pm    Post subject: Jupiter 21a Reply with quote

Hi All,

I'm a long time reader of the forum. Don't think I've posted before !
Bit of a Russian M42 Fan.
The reason I'm posting is to try and find out about the Jupiter 21A 200mm lens. Very scant information about this lens. I know that it has quoted resolution figures that are better than the much-recommended 21M, and it is considerably lighter and of smaller size than the 21M. It also appears to be a very rare lens. All the examples I have seen, have a serial number consisting of year date followed by individual number. I have not seen an example with an individual number above 1000, suggesting that perhaps only a thousand or so were produced in any given year. I am not sure of the production dates, perhaps mid-seventies to early eighties. I have two examples dated '78 and '80. Maybe a total production of 5000 or so ?
I have seen comment mainly on Russian and East European sites that it is considered better than the 21M.
Very rarely turns up on Ebay, though there is one at the moment for about three times the price of the 21M. I have seen one example with a serial number starting '000' where year of manufacture can only be guessed.
I consider myself very much a photographic beginner, but have been very impressed with results from this lens.
I also love the 11a, which I have five copies of ! Not rare at all, but surely underappreciated all the same.
So, if anyone can shed any further light on the 21A, such as serial number, user experience, I would be very interested.

Kevin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Serial # 790257. I can't tell you much about IQ. 200 mm is too long for me to hand hold comfortably on an APS-C camera.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thankyou for posting your reply. Another low serial number, again suggesting small production run. I find i can use this lens OK on my 400d without camera shake. However, I do find accurate focussing quite difficult though this is more to do with limitations of the camera and the operator !
Does anyone else know of earlier or later production years?

Kevin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was intrigued about the claim for extra sharpness, as I feel my Jupiter 21M is already very sharp. Unfortunately, the Jupiter 21 info page is not entirely clear:

21: 40/30 lines / mm
21A: 50/36 lines / mm
21M: only differences from A are listed and resolution is not one of them; same resolution?

The 21M is the largest and heaviest though.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This site...

http://www.commiecameras.com/sov/35mmsinglelensreflexcameras/lenses/index.htm

... gives the following values ...

21 40/30
21A 50/36
21M 50/36

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not that the 21A is any sharper than 21M; it's about mechanical quality and (rumored) better blackening of lens internals in the 21A that make it a better lens. Now, I have first-hand experience on how flimsy the mechanics (mainly, diaphragm operation) of Jupiter-21M can be. It just failed for no apparent reason in mine (a quick search on the Internet revealed it's a common issue). IQ wise, however, I was pretty happy with my sample, and find it hard to believe a 21A could be any better.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 21A version is definitely more rare version than never M, but I don't think that there will be significant optical differences.
See on Zenitcamera.com

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome. Smile
Here are 2 links about Jupiter 21s :

http://translate.google.fr/translate?hl=fr&sl=ru&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.zenitcamera.com%2Farchive%2Flenses%2Fjupiter-21.html

http://translate.google.fr/translate?hl=fr&sl=ru&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.photohistory.ru%2Findex.php%3Fpid%3D1207248189176748

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thankyou for the interesting links. I see that most sources actually credit the 21A with significantly better resolution figures compared to the 21M. It also has the advantage of being physically slimmer and approximately 25% lighter, thus largely overcoming the common complaint about the 21M. Slightly closer focussing distance also.
I remain interested in the production years and serial nos. So, if any other member has an example, what is your serial number?
I hope to post some example photos in due course.

Kevin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sturmovik wrote:
Thankyou for the interesting links. I see that most sources actually credit the 21A with significantly better resolution figures compared to the 21M. It also has the advantage of being physically slimmer and approximately 25% lighter, thus largely overcoming the common complaint about the 21M. Slightly closer focussing distance also.
I remain interested in the production years and serial nos. So, if any other member has an example, what is your serial number?
I hope to post some example photos in due course.

Kevin

My copy is #790274.
Here is some comparison http://www.deep-life.ru/test-8/index.htm but I don't think it is very representative. According to all sources I've read there is no much difference in resolution. The 21M is usually reported as loosing contrast due to reflective inner parts of diaphragm mechanism. And there are many DIY cures for this problem desribe on net. One should take into account that 21A was made by KMZ which is known for its better QA than other optical plants in USSR. The 21M is made by VOMZ.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 21M is #88002611

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've not seen any contrast ussues with my 21M. It is a great lens but not a focal length I use much.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had Jupiter 21M it has only one problem it's weight, it is an excellent lens. No idea about others.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't even mind the weight so i can only tell the best of this lens.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
My 21a is #790144

Any interests of buying?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 21A has a preset aperture, The 21M and automatic aperture with pin an A/M switch. I bought mine as a repair case. I don't remember what I did but is was fixed pretty easily. Something about a loose a/m switch ring. It is probably my sharpest 200mm lens along with the Tele-Takumar 200mm 1:3.5. Just avoid any direct sunlight on the front element. On aps-c you should probably use a longer hood than the built in one. It is a Sonnar with a large lens element in it. Hence the weight: