Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

X-Fujinon EBC 50/1.2 on a7
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:47 pm    Post subject: X-Fujinon EBC 50/1.2 on a7 Reply with quote

X-Fujinon EBC 50/1.2 @ f1.2 (SONY a7)

Same subject with Voigtländer Nokton 35/1.2 @ f1.2 (SONY a7)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW!
being a big fan of Fuji lenses, I was very skeptical about this lens FUJINON / Porst, but on A7 the lens really shines!
Thanks for sharing.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice pictures!

This X-Fujinon 50/1.2 is very punchy and vivid. The bokeh can be a bit busy wide open, but depending on the situation, it can be an advantage. In my opinion this lens optimum performance is at f2 where the bokeh calms down and the lens gets very sharp and contrasty. Of course, one could argue that a 1.2 lens should be used widen open, or one should use another smaller lens instead. I don't agree, this lens has two sides. It is wild and expressionistic at f1.2 and sophisticated at f2-f5.6. With this lens, sudden mood changes are no problem...

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree. An ultra-fast lens may be sharper (excepting the corners) than a slower lens at identical aparture stops due to its wider rear lens element. If you go for sharpness right up to the corners (as in reproductions), then you will chose a slower lens. An ultra-fast lens may give exceptional results in portrait photography, if sharpness is accepted.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me this lens is a marvelous at f2, very good at f2.8, at f4 is just one good lens more and maybe after f5.6 can lose against slower counterparts.

But as said at f2 the spherical aberration is gone and the sharpness, well... it's a razor. I don't think there are many (if any) spherical slower counterparts that are that good at f2. Even the f1.4 ones.

In my case I wouldn't argue that f1.2 lenses are to be used at f1.2, at least the spherical ones. For me they are excellent f2 lenses with an emergency extra stop. The same or better f2 performance can be achieved with a more modern, slower and more expensive ASPH lens.

I like the f1.2 of this lens sometimes when focusing at long distances, the spherical aberration can make interesting effects.

At f1.2 and close distances it can be pleasing with a more or less uniformly illuminated backgrounds (controlled environment) but the lens isn't as its best: very busy bokeh with a lot of green bokeh aberration as shown here.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty sharp and contrasty for an f/1.2!
But I don't like the bokeh at all, I'm afraid.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My experience also matches those expressed in this trail. Last week, I compared all my normal lenses. My X-Fujinon 50/1.2 seemed to be the sharpest lens at f2.0 amongst a group of what I considered to be pretty good lenses (including Topcor 58/1.8, Takumar 55/1.8 and SMC Takumar 50/1.4). I was very much surprised as I was expecting the Topcor to be my sharpest lens at around f2.0. I repeated the same experiment today (examining the bottom left corner of the full frame using a 5DII, mirror lock-up) with identical results.

As I mentioned in my previous post, at f8 my Zeiss 45/2.8, Super Takumar 55/1.8 and Topcor 58/1.8 looked better than my Fuji.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Monet had a camera .................

..... love it!
OH

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rafa1981 wrote:
For me this lens is a marvelous at f2, very good at f2.8, at f4 is just one good lens more and maybe after f5.6 can lose against slower counterparts.

I do not want to hear about "stopped down"Smile I have allergies when somebody says about ultrafast lenses (wich cost 2-10-20 times more than an normal one) to stop down one stop or more. What reason was to build a faster lens, to invest money and time to do calculations with pencil in a hand, why? after all to say "Yeah it's very good but, stopped down a bit..." Or, I'm thinking: "Wow! excellent lens, I wil sell all my normal primes, gathering money and will buy only one ultrafast FUJINON, then I will close a bit the aperture"... Smile
...Fortunately this lens, in some situations and skilled hands, even wide open, deliver magic, it was shown by Bille's pictures, that I personally liked very much.
Please Keep Calm and Don't stop Down Ultrafast Lenses! Smile

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldhand wrote:
If Monet had a camera ...
..... love it!
OH

I will rather say Van Gogh than Monet... Wink

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="RAART"]
Oldhand wrote:
If Monet had a camera ...
..... love it!
OH

I will rather say Van Gogh than Monet...

No, Van Gogh had a Helios 40, or Biotar 75, can't remember exactly Wink

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

izvar wrote:
rafa1981 wrote:

I do not want to hear about "stopped down"Smile I have allergies when somebody says about ultrafast lenses (wich cost 2-10-20 times more than an normal one) to stop down one stop or more. What reason was to build a faster lens, to invest money and time to do calculations with pencil in a hand, why? after all to say "Yeah it's very good but, stopped down a bit..." Or, I'm thinking: "Wow! excellent lens, I wil sell all my normal primes, gathering money and will buy only one ultrafast FUJINON, then I will close a bit the aperture"... Smile
...Fortunately this lens, in some situations and skilled hands, even wide open, deliver magic, it was shown by Bille's pictures, that I personally liked very much.

Sorry but I don't get this "a fast lens should be used wide open or not at all" mentality. The X-Fujinon 50/1.2 is the perfect example of a multi-purpose lens. Fast when you need it, expressionistic if you want it, very sharp at f2, as good as other lenses at smaller apertures. All of this in a relatively small and light package. Why would anyone want to use this lens at f1.2 only?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

izvar wrote:
rafa1981 wrote:

Good for you! You can buy faulty lenses with oil on the blades, or even without diaphragm at all for cheap Very Happy

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rafa1981 wrote:
izvar wrote:
rafa1981 wrote:

Good for you! You can buy faulty lenses with oil on the blades, or even without diaphragm at all for cheap Very Happy

My english is very bad... I know Smile

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jokes by side.... I think that this lens has very nervous bokeh at 1.2 and personally I don't like it, but the colors are nice.
If I had choice between 1.2 lenses (I used once, borrowed from friend Oly 50mm 1.2 on FF D700) I think that I will go with Canon FDn 50mm 1.2L or Olympus 50mm 1.2

For the bokeh unbeatable my favorite was Olympus 50mm 1.2 (on Nikon D700) - YMMW

I am wondering if someone has all those three lenses (Fujinon, Canon and Olympus) and can post some shots at 1.2 and 2.0 with crops to compare them. That would be interesting or just Fujinon vs Olympus on FF camera.

Edit: If I find a cheap Olympus 50mm 1.2 I will buy it right away, especially it is adaptable to Nikon or Pentax cameras. In my personal opinion this is the best all-around 1.2 lens (quality, optical performance, adaptability, etc...)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that the Fujinon 1.2 ultra-fast lens is a multi-purpose lens, not only to be used at its widest aperture. Why is it that an ultra-wide lens may be sharper stopped down than a slower lens? Because it will lack softness due to inflection. If I go for a smooth, creamy and even bokeh, I will take my Fujinon 1.8 / 55mm or the Fujinon Macro 3.5 / 55mm. Both will render the subject as well as the background very differently. I'd be interested in a comparison among the various 1.2 lenses, and I will make a point that colour rendition will be included among the criteria to judge all lenses.