Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Modification of Helios 44 :)
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:20 pm    Post subject: Modification of Helios 44 :) Reply with quote

I read about a modification in this forum and did it to my copy, but then I was not able to find the old topic to post the results.
So I will post them here Smile.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's interesting. Does it take advantage of the Helios swirl, or would the mystery modification work for any lens?

I like the effect, it's very different.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is that the mod that involves reversing one or some of the elements? It creates an interesting 3D tunnel perspective effect on the OOF elements. Would be good to see a recipe.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like a lot too, please post how did you make this mod, I think you will have many followers Smile

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this?
http://forum.mflenses.com/viewtopic,p,1151104.html

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
That's interesting. Does it take advantage of the Helios swirl, or would the mystery modification work for any lens?

Some weeks ago, I tested reverted optical part with a Fujinon 50mm/1.9 X-mount.
That swirls a lot, but result is not really the same (or maybe I don't have your talent) :

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not bad Pierre, especially #2

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
I like a lot too, please post how did you make this mod, I think you will have many followers Smile

Reversing front element on Helios 44 is all that is required. It's very easy.

You can achieve this type of effect with many lenses. The Helios 44 works very nicely for this though because it remains pretty usable with the effect most prominent at close focus.

Click here for a video I made using three lenses with reversed elements

0:01 - 0:48: Cyclop-1M 85mm f/1.2 Night Vision lens with reversed elements and Helios 44 rear elements
0:48 - 1:32: Helios 44-2 with reversed front element
1:32 - 2:05: Sears 55mm f/1.8 with reversed front elements.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks!!!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edited

Last edited by bernhardas on Wed May 04, 2016 7:35 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

significantimagery wrote:
Attila wrote:

Reversing front element on Helios 44 is all that is required. It's very easy.

You can achieve this type of effect with many lenses. The Helios 44 works very nicely for this though because it remains pretty usable with the effect most prominent at close focus.

Click here for a video I made using three lenses with reversed elements

0:01 - 0:48: Cyclop-1M 85mm f/1.2 Night Vision lens with reversed elements and Helios 44 rear elements
0:48 - 1:32: Helios 44-2 with reversed front element
1:32 - 2:05: Sears 55mm f/1.8 with reversed front elements.

еxactly! Reversed front element.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I'm missing something here, when I tried to reverse the front element on a 44-2 the element hits the one behind it and rocks on the two convex surfaces of both elements, and if the front element was to be spaced out enough to stop it hitting the one behind, there wouldn't be any axial location to align it, or thread left to get the ring back on? Confused

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lloydy wrote:
I think I'm missing something here, when I tried to reverse the front element on a 44-2 the element hits the one behind it and rocks on the two convex surfaces of both elements, and if the front element was to be spaced out enough to stop it hitting the one behind, there wouldn't be any axial location to align it, or thread left to get the ring back on? Confused

that is something that you can't avoid Smile that's why I did it to helios for 3$ Smile. You must center it and assemble it like this.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried it with an old 44-2, gently holding the reversed lens in place with the ring, which I did get to fit second time of trying. But I couldn't get anything useable from the lens at all, I took maybe a dozen shots and nothing was recognisable, certainly nothing like the leaves or the plane in the pictures above, all I could get was a coloured mush. Confused

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well that effect happens mostly outside with sunlight and closest focus of the lens.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sunlight? I've forgot what it looks like. Laughing I shall try the Helios again, but I got nothing at any focus distance or aperture that I could recognise, and I was taking pictures of a brick pillar 1 meter away and the garden beyond. Annoyingly, I've deleted the pictures, such as they were.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

simbon4o wrote:
well that effect happens mostly outside with sunlight and closest focus of the lens.

I don't know about Helios, but with Fujinon, what is in focus is just not sharp at all, but not swirling. Only the background "bokeh" swirl. So at infiny, nothing swirl, it's just the opposite of sharp (but everything is visible).

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The same thing happens to the helios, most of the photos are 2.8 and more closed. At 2.0 it is so glowy Smile.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very interesting, think Ill have to try this, Ive got a 77m-4 with sticky aperture to experiment on.