Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

First test shots with Vivitar 19mm 3.8
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:33 pm    Post subject: First test shots with Vivitar 19mm 3.8 Reply with quote

I was surprised to find, once I received this lens, that it was plastic. I had gotten so used to the sturdy metal builds of manual focus lenses. It is in Nikon Ais mount, adapted to Canon with fotodiox adapter.

I'm not blown away by it, but it seems decent enough and I wanted the cheapest wide angle I could get. Took it out to the coffee shop yesterday morning. I realized afterwards that most of the photos I took were close ups, and it does seem to perform well there. I'll have to post some other samples later that are not close ups.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks OK, but for crop cameras I would still recommend a decent EF-S AF lens instead. These things were designed for full frame at a time when really wide lenses were still in their infancy.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have what I believe is the same lens branded as a 20mm Cosina in Canon FD fitting. It cost me a lot of money . . . £20 including a 28-70 Cosina zoom lens. It falls off pretty much in the corners even at f8 which is its "best" aperture but as a cheap ultra-wide angle for film it's pretty good. Not a Canon lens by any means, but still useful.

I can also use it on my M8 with the old Canon Leica screw to FD adapter and Leica screw bayonet adapter. Then it has the coverage of a 28mm lens . . . and it don't do too well. Compared to my 21mm Voigtlander lens it's pretty dire, largely because what looks like decentring shows up on one side of the images. Poor assembly I expect. But, comparing the "good" side with the images from my Pentax kit zoom on the K10D it still doesn't do well. The often-derided kit lens has more "pep" and records more detail.

What I don't actually know, however, is whether my Cosina lens is a bit of a dud altogether as a result of what I believe to be poor assembly. Nevertheless, 5x7 inch machine prints look quite good . . . Rolling Eyes

Be nice to see some more from heartcat's Vivitar.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks quite good to me!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a pretty good lens for the money. Mine must be a slightly older version as mine is all-metal.
These things usually go for about $100
The corners are fairly poor at full frame, even on film, but I notice no significant distortion and it can be quite sharp in the center.

All in all however, the 18-55 AF Pentax kit lens is a better wide angle lens on a crop camera, albeit with a smaller aperture.
I suspect these modern kit zooms are better than nearly all the older MF 18-21mm lenses.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty decent looking results I would say...

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

luisalegria wrote:
It is a pretty good lens for the money. Mine must be a slightly older version as mine is all-metal.
These things usually go for about $100
The corners are fairly poor at full frame, even on film, but I notice no significant distortion and it can be quite sharp in the center.

All in all however, the 18-55 AF Pentax kit lens is a better wide angle lens on a crop camera, albeit with a smaller aperture.
I suspect these modern kit zooms are better than nearly all the older MF 18-21mm lenses.

I'd have to disagree with you on the 18-55 being as good as the viv 19/3.8. My Viv is hands down sharper than my 18-55. But then maybe I have a poor example of the 18-55 or you have a poor example of the Viv. My 18-55 has pretty bad distortion at 18-20mm as well.

Don't know if it makes a difference but mine is in KA mount.

Eric

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Close shoots like these okay with any lens, real test shoot at infinity distance, most cheap lens produce a mass only , without details and with tons of distortion , better buy a scratched , fungus infected well known lens on low price than mint condition third party lenses. Certainly some exception is there.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Food looks delicious! Smile

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Katastrofo wrote:
Food looks delicious! Smile

+1 It's making me hungry. Smile

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The food was delicious! And they make the best coffee. Very Happy

I doubt I will use the lens at affinity much, I seldom shoot at infinity. I have an RMC Tokina 28mm 2.8 that I use for landscapes that's sharp and detailed throughout the frame. I'll keep this more for close ups and for times when I'm going for a more distorted perspective.

Not sure how it compares to the Canon kit lens, it's been so long since I used it. I wanted a wide angle to add to my MF collection though and though I really wanted the Tokina 17mm I couldn't justify the price. Though I will keep my eyes peeled, you never know a deal might pop up somewhere, sometime.

Luisalegria, I'd rather have had one in a metal build, to keep the 'collection' consistent.

Scsambrook, that is interesting about your Cosina. Sounds like you got a good deal on the two lenses.

I uploaded a couple more photos that weren't close ups. The first one is the same coffee shop. I can't remember if I was shooting at f/5.6 or f/8. It's a bit noisy since the ISO was 2000 and I don't have a noiseware programme.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

looks like a great lens to my eyes!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stingOM wrote:
looks like a great lens to my eyes!

+1, that is a definite keeper!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have a photo of the lens? I don't remember a Vivitar 19mm, but I used to own a Vivitar 20mm 3.8, a long time ago.

http://img.auctiva.com/imgdata/9/7/7/0/9/3/webimg/347693505_o.jpg

It was decent, and I made some good photos with it, but that was in 1970.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is mine in pentax KA mount.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

erkie wrote:
This is mine in pentax KA mount.
I have that one which is on permanent loan to member Poolhall. I found it very good on a crop and good on FF/film. It does flare a bit though.

I have the 19-35 (Cosina) Vivitar in EF mount which looks the same IQ-wise which has replaced it.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say that lens looks pretty darn sharp. A little fringing in the corners on the shot of the house, but the center looks great! Good find!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got one of these in Canon FD mount, made of metal. Had it awhile but forgot all about it until today. What lens hood is recommended for it? I intend to use it on good old fashioned film cameras
TIA