Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Meyer Trioplan 10cm f/2.8 (C-mount) thread issue
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 5:28 pm    Post subject: Meyer Trioplan 10cm f/2.8 (C-mount) thread issue Reply with quote

I've bought a nice Trioplan recently. Cosmetically the barrel has some paintloss and light damage, but the glass is pristine and the color combo of the lens and hood is just sexy to my eyes.

Since it was originally intended for 16mm film there was some light blocking ring at the end, which caused vignetting on my MFT camera. To get there I had to remove the back part of the lens, but it was a very very very hard thing to do. After having managed to remove it, I mentioned the culprit: someone messed with the lens while not knowing what he was doing and tightened the screws right on the thread instead of the intended place on the left to it. Sad

While I know what kind of force I had to use to get it loose, I won't even try my best getting it back on again without fix because it has to be in the right position again and I'm not sure I get that far even with damaging the lens. I suppose there are people here with experience on the same issue: what's the best thing to do here? Simply lubing doesn't solve it, and making another hole like the original one on the left to get the damaged thread gone looks a little bit drastic right now.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nope, that is not too uncommon that grub screws go into pre-drilled holes within a thread - and that looks exactly like that, otherwise the remaining threads aroudn that hole woudl be damaged.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure I understand you. Those pre-drilled holes are there intended for the screws to go into, but on the right of it (on both sides) someone tightened the screws on the thread itself instead of the pre-drilled holes. The thread is damaged enough to give too much friction.

To clarify a 100% crop:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it wasn't correctly placed at the right position.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take a small piece of abrasive paper and sand down the damage, then it should screw on fine. I had the same issue with a Schneider barrel lens.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have fixed this kind of damage often.
I have a sharp jewelers"V" file I use to clean up damaged male threads to remove the dings.
It does not work on female threads of course.

Just run it through the thread a few times. Its worked well on brass and aluminum threads.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would rather suggest small file so you can "clean" thread without sanding it down.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's what I meant, clean it up with some very light abrasion.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll take a look tomorrow if I can buy such a jeweler's file somewhere local, looks more precise than sanding paper, I didn't know such small ones existed. Thanks all for help, I'll update when fixed.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you can buy thread restoring files,

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Thread-Repair-Restore-Files-for-Imperial-Metric-Internal-External-Use-/111217057975

is the best picture I can find, which shows one in use. The files are multi sided to suit different threads, so you have to know how many 'threads per inch' the damaged thread is. If there's not a full inch, measure 1/8 inch and multiply by 8. Then get the thread file to match the TPI. The problem with getting the right file is determining the right thread on the lens, which could be difficult without precision measuring equipment.

For fine male threads in aluminium or brass I have rolled a sharp knife blade in the thread with great success. Lube the two parts and gently thread them together and if it is still tight repeat the process with the knife.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine is in no way as precise.

It came in a set like this -

http://www.ebay.com/itm/10-piece-Needle-File-set-jewelers-budget-files-hobby-5-3-8-gunsmith-/261328640781?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cd8669b0d

These are very common and cheap. Everybody should have some.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can get sets of diamond dust needle files in just about all hardware shops now, the Chinese are knocking them out for next to nothing. But they are excellent for the price, and the amount we are likely to use them. I have a set in the draw of my desk just in case I need them urgently! Laughing

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lloydy wrote:
you can buy thread restoring files,

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Thread-Repair-Restore-Files-for-Imperial-Metric-Internal-External-Use-/111217057975

is the best picture I can find, which shows one in use. The files are multi sided to suit different threads, so you have to know how many 'threads per inch' the damaged thread is. If there's not a full inch, measure 1/8 inch and multiply by 8. Then get the thread file to match the TPI. The problem with getting the right file is determining the right thread on the lens, which could be difficult without precision measuring equipment.

For fine male threads in aluminium or brass I have rolled a sharp knife blade in the thread with great success. Lube the two parts and gently thread them together and if it is still tight repeat the process with the knife.

I did a rough calculation and the TPI would be somewhere between 50 and 60, too much. That in combination with the "mine is in no way as precise" let me decide to take your second tip to practice and evened out the ditches with a small sharp kitchen knife. It worked, not great, but enough after some tries to screw it back on with repeated knifing in between. I couldn't make it all the way to the end but got close enough (and no, I won't put those screws back at a random place, the ring sits tight enough as it is).

A real quick bokeh-test shows those typical bubbles and I mentioned some glow earlier today already when looking through the viewfinder, so my first impression: the old uncoated c-mount Trioplan doesn't put his big Exakta / M42 brothers to shame.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This isn't a showcase for sharpness (no tripod, windy, available dull light, and somewhat below shake avoiding shutter speed) but I think it shows how it draws nicely while I didn't want to go to a higher ISO because of added noise. Cropped on right (origally landscape) and a bit on top afterwards, subject is on left outer edge of lens image circle. Standard pp of uncoated lenses: only contrast up and blacks down.

(And now I'll leave this topic to rest, most people aren't interested in C-mount lenses and there's another section for that.)