Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Lens Mount Quiz
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 4:59 pm    Post subject: Lens Mount Quiz Reply with quote

Have a look on this lens:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Carl-Zeiss-Jena-Tessar-50-mm-f-2-8-UNKNOWN-MOUNT-/350920599655?pt=Camera_Lenses&hash=item51b47f6867

The mount of the lens is really unusual, my first thought was Exakta 66, but for a 50mm Tessar? Not likely...

Anybody wants to find out the answer? I don't have a clue...

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bet for a Frankenstein

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like some form of adapter to me. For some reason, Praktina comes to mind.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like an AKA Akarelle/Akarette mount.

Regards
Henry

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hinnerker wrote:
Looks like an AKA Akarelle/Akarette mount.

Regards
Henry

Not AKA mount. The male thread of the AKA is on the camera not the lens.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a theory.

So the lens is a 50/2.8, meaning the largest aperture will be about 17mm. I pulled the image into Illustrator and the lens (including the thread's widest point) is 3.4 times the lens opening size. Assuming that's 17.4mm, then the mount grip is about 60mm.

Also, the mount looks a LOT newer and better than the lens, so it's decidedly not original.

I suspect someone converted that into an enlarger lens and used a retaining ring from a Compur LF shutter to hold it onto the board. Having a lens with focusing capability on an enlarger would make ultra-fine grain focusing a bit easier to do.

So that's my theory -- home-adapter for enlarger use.

One off thing about that lens -- the distance scale seems different than a typical 50mm lens. Usually, infinity is 200X the focal distance and beyond. So, on a 50mm, that's about 33 feet. The distance scale on that goes to 50 feet and then infinity. Am I nuts for thinking that's not standard?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was adapted.
I think the mount is a custom one for Photo-Sonics high speed movie cameras.
I have seen similar conversions of lots of Schneider lenses.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bentzin Primarflex perhaps (mount, not lens).

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Luis, converted to some sort of film camera mount it seems. Not sure about Photo-Sonics.

Last edited by kds315* on Sat Nov 09, 2013 11:23 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reflex Korelle ?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a Tessar 2.8/50 so it won't be for Primarflex or Reflex Korelle as those are 6x6 MF cameras and the coverage of the Tessar is insufficient. Also, the lens would only focus a few feet away due to the 50% longer register.

Whatever it is converted to fit will be something uncommon that used 35mm film, so Luis is probably on the right track.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
It's a Tessar 2.8/50 so it won't be for Primarflex or Reflex Korelle as those are 6x6 MF cameras and the coverage of the Tessar is insufficient. Also, the lens would only focus a few feet away due to the 50% longer register.

Whatever it is converted to fit will be something uncommon that used 35mm film, so Luis is probably on the right track.

I meant mount. Lens is only inserted onto.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some time ago, there were a number of Schneider Xenotar's adapted by Photo Sonic offered for sale, this is a re-sale on Ebay:

http://www.kevincameras.com/gallery/v/classics_collectables/albuw30/schneider/4524340/

The mount on this sample does not look quite the same as the Tessar in discussion, any new attempt?