Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

I got two new lenses: Pentax K 3.5/28 & M 1.4/50
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:44 pm    Post subject: I got two new lenses: Pentax K 3.5/28 & M 1.4/50 Reply with quote

Last Sunday I bought two vintage lenses.

The SMC Pentax M 1,4/50 was listed on ebay, only one bad foto and an insufficient description helped me to get it for a resonable price of 40€.
The lens is in good condition, just some simple cleaning was necessary.
It's a good lens, I can not understand why it is often dismissed. Even wide open perfomance is good.
Maybe it is not as sharp as the 1,7/50 is but it is sharp enough, gives a beautyful soft bokeh and performs very well with the lens turbo on my Nex.

Is a SMC Pentax (K) 3.5/28, it was listed on a german camera forum.
The lens is in like new condition and came with the dedicated lens hood.
This lens is a beauty, build so well and a joy to operate.
The first test shots showed up its great optical perfomance, lots of contrast & superb resolution across the frame made me think WOW! If i had to name this lens I would like to call it "poormans-poormans-Distagon".
Some shots will follow as soon as the weather gets better.

Timo

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the SMC Takumar Version of the 28 3.5, and I LOVE it! Great Contrast, cool depth of field, just great! Also, nearly the best buildquality I´ve ever seen. Like a rock made out of steel and glass Razz
Congrats to you for these buys, have LOADs of fun with them!
Cheers,
Timo Smile

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Give some samples with the turbo, I'm still wondering a little about it but...

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

congrats, enjoy Smile

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done Timo.
I always like to see images from Pentax lenses - post some for us to enjoy.
Happy snaps
OH

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The smcK 28mm f3.5 is a truly outstanding lens. It is NOT a remount of the smc takumar 28mm f3.5 which was a 7 element design, its a redesign with 8 elements and it shows....

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two great lenses. The K series 28mm f3.5 was manufactured with no corners cut. Mine is brass inside. It is a lens perfect for high resolution captures.
I can't help but think it would excel on the Sony A7r. A classic lens!

I use my 50mm f1.4 on the NEX C3 to shoot videos of musicians in very dark clubs. It is so compact and never disappoints.
A lens that should never be dismissed.

Congratulations!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

During the last two days we were invited on two partys, I used the combination of Pentax M 1.4/50, lens turbo and Nex 5n to capture some portrait shots of relatives and friends in very dim light.
I was able to get some decent shots, please accept that I will not post them here.

What can I say about the lens turbo and the Pentax M 1.4/50:
The lens turbo gives my Pentax 50 back the field of view of a "normal" lens, so I am no longer limited to the narrow "crop view".
The lens turbo delivers a benefint of about 3/4 stop of ligth, so I can get faster shuter speed.
The lens turbo also causes curvatured to the focus plain, which for me is no restriction in purpose of portrait works.
The Pentax M 1.4/50 is not very sharp wide open neither with the lens turbo.

My verdict:
SMC Pentax M 1,4/50 + lens turbo and nex 5n are a very handsome combination for low light portrait works. I am totally satisfied with the results.

Here is a single shot my wife took today. It`s me with my little daughter Lotta sitting near to my desk, please excuse the focus being a bit of. SMC Pentax M 1,4/50 @ 1,4 with lt on Nex 5n:

100% crop:

Timo

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

same combination, also wide open:

another 100% crop:

Timo

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you tell me what is a 'Lens Turbo' please-- never heard that expression ---

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pentaxpete wrote:
Can you tell me what is a 'Lens Turbo' please-- never heard that expression ---

It's a 'focal reducer', an adapter for short register / mirrorless cameras with optics that 'bundles' the image projected by a lens made for 35mm film into the smaller APS-C sensor. Roughly the opposite of a tele converter it ( almost completely ) eliminates the 'crop factor' and gains speed.

the 'original' product on the market was the socalled "Speed Booster": http://forum.mflenses.com/canon-eos-and-manual-focus-lenses-t3361.html
the lens turbo is a cheaper Chinese alternative, e.g. a user report: http://gtbarnes.com/2013/05/16/nex-lens-turbo-speed-booster-initial-impressions-samples/