Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Vivitar 28-85mm f2.8-3.8
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 9:43 pm    Post subject: Vivitar 28-85mm f2.8-3.8 Reply with quote

made by kiron. a very highly rated lens. three shots, 100% crop, all wide open f2.8, 28mm, 50mm, 85mm. in the shade.

Last edited by robar on Thu Mar 29, 2007 10:46 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No comment ! Kiron ! I never seen bad lens from Kiron just good one and better! One of may favourite brand is Kiron.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

should i keep it?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smile or send to me LOL

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'll need to keep it for awhile. this will be my walk around lens

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good decision, this is a good lens keep it for ever.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 3:29 am    Post subject: Re: Vivitar series 1 28-85mm f2.8-3.8 Reply with quote

robar wrote:
made by kiron. a very highly rated lens. three shots, 100% crop, all wide open f2.8, 28mm, 50mm, 85mm. in the shade.

Robar

Vivitar never made a Series 1, 28-85. They did put out a Series 1 28-90, made for them, only by Komine. However, Vivitar did have Kiron (Kino Precision Industries) make a non-Series 1 28-85, for them. Kiron, also made their own version of the 28-85, until they replaced it with the very good Kiron 28-105.

Kiron Kid

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 3:33 am    Post subject: Kiron stuff Reply with quote

Just a couple of Kiron pics.

Kiron Kid

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila

How do I attach photos? I've tried it wice now, and twice, it hasn't worked Crying or Very sad

Russ (Kiron Kid)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paste image url here and I will fix it, to show you how does it work.

[img]http://yourimg.url[/img]

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Series I or not, the lens seems to be a good one.

I have got a Sigma 28-85 which also is a fascinating zoom lens.
It seems that this focal length range was good to calculate.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I have become too much of a purist. Since I started to seriously photograph manual, I can not touch a zoom anymore. I always long for the best picture quality, and when I zoom, any zoom, I can't but think "if I used my best prime in this range, I would take a so much better picture".

From my point of view, I actually consider less of a compromise to use an autofocus prime lens than a manual zoom. I can always manually focus an autofocus lens, but I can not "de-zoom" a zoom lens.

In the last months I have sold many of my zoom lenses. I only have 4 left: a Sigma 10-20, AF, that I use on the 400D to obtain super wide angle FOV; the kit lens for the 400D, which I keep for possible resale of the camera; The Tamron 18-200, which I keep in case I need to go someplace where I can not take a photo bag with me. and finally, a Sigma Delta 55-200, old manual zoom with Nikkor mount, that I keep only because I can not sell it and because I have sweet memories related to it.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 1:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Vivitar series 1 28-85mm f2.8-3.8 Reply with quote

Russ wrote:

Vivitar never made a Series 1, 28-85. They did put out a Series 1 28-90, made for them, only by Komine. However, Vivitar did have Kiron (Kino Precision Industries) make a non-Series 1 28-85, for them. Kiron, also made their own version of the 28-85, until they replaced it with the very good Kiron 28-105.

Kiron Kid

russ, you are correct. this is not a series 1
guess i'll quit using it.

roy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 2:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Vivitar series 1 28-85mm f2.8-3.8 Reply with quote

robar wrote:
Russ wrote:

Kiron Kid

roy

Robar

No, it's not a Series 1, but still a very good lens. Keep shooting with it. You'll be happy with it. Have you checked out the Kiron 28-105?

Kiron Kid

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 3:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Vivitar series 1 28-85mm f2.8-3.8 Reply with quote

robar wrote:

roy

Roy, the way I see it, if you are happy with it, you should keep using it, regardless of the label it has.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm just kidding. it's a great walk around lens

the 29-105
i have a kiron and a series 1.. both have problems. the vivitar's glass is great but the barrel that that has the aperture in it has a lot of wobble in it. i think it was dropped. is there an easy fix?

the kiron has haze on the interior lens. it doesn't look like fungus that i've seen but it is all over it. it still takes a pretty good image tho.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm just kidding. it's a great walk around lens

the 28-105
i have a kiron and a series 1.. both have problems. the vivitar's glass is great but the barrel that that has the aperture in it has a lot of wobble in it. i think it was dropped. is there an easy fix?

the kiron has haze on the interior lens. it doesn't look like fungus that i've seen but it is all over it. it still takes a pretty good image tho.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 12:10 am    Post subject: Re: Vivitar series 1 28-85mm f2.8-3.8 Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
robar wrote:

roy

Roy, the way I see it, if you are happy with it, you should keep using it, regardless of the label it has.

I agree!

Kiron Kid

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Kiron Kid,

Wikipedia has no article about Kiron ! I started to write a lens list can you finish it with a little about their history ?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
@Kiron Kid,

Wikipedia has no article about Kiron ! I started to write a lens list can you finish it with a little about their history ?

Kirin, is a Japanese Beer maker. Still in business. Very Happy

Kiron Kid

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Russ wrote:
Attila wrote:
@Kiron Kid,

Kiron Kid

kiron kid is a profressional teacher on kiron and vivitar history

he also have a club

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Kiron-Klub/

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fishover wrote:
Russ wrote:
Attila wrote:
@Kiron Kid,

Kiron Kid

kiron kid is a profressional teacher on kiron and vivitar history

he also have a club

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Kiron-Klub/

A teacher, me? Wow! What a compliment. And everyone else considers me a knucklehead...

Kiron Kid

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 1:13 am    Post subject: Kiron 28-85mm f2.8-3.8 Reply with quote

Just picked one up last month. Seems pretty good. Vivitar Series 1 version for a Nikon. Sample picture:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"A teacher, me? Wow! What a compliment. And everyone else considers me a knucklehead... "

Everyone knows your a knucklehead KK.... {;.)

Actually, KK was the one who let me know, years ago, about my Dine lens which I had just inherited from my Father in Law...I had, up to that point, never heard of a Lester A Dine 105 macro...

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 2:57 am    Post subject: Re: Kiron 28-85mm f2.8-3.8 Reply with quote

amedow wrote:
Just picked one up last month. Seems pretty good. Vivitar Series 1 version for a Nikon. Sample picture:

Was this shot made with the Vivitar Series 1 28-90 (a favorite of mine) or the Kiron 28-85 or Kiron 28-105?

Kiron Kid