Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

The top nine classic lenses - How many of these do you own?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 6:29 pm    Post subject: The top nine classic lenses - How many of these do you own? Reply with quote

The topic here is NOT to debate which lenses should be in the top nine. Let's please save that discussion for another thread. OK?

Instead:

Here is a list of one person's top nine. It's not my personal list, I promise you. The question here is how many of the lenses on this guy's top nine list do you already own?? I'll go first:

I was surprised to own any at all of the lenses on this list. But as things turn out I already own three of the lenses on the list. In addition I own a version of the Zeiss lens, but not the precise version shown.

It's an arbitrary list. I'm betting there are participants here who own copies of ALL of those nine lenses. But the prize goes to the person who owns the most . . . and I'm confident that is not me. Wink

Here is a link to the list:

https://contrastly.com/classic-lenses/

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have three: Jupiter 12, CZJ Tessar & Sigma Mini-Wide 28mm

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A bit of an odd assortment, no real rationale. Top end-ish fast nifty-fifties then the inferior (to the MW-ii, and indeed many other 28's) sigma miniwide I, and the one I actually have, the viv T4 200mm, which is a good one actually I should post some pics.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zero. Haven't owned a single one of those, as well.

For me would be interesting to see how each of our own personal lists of nine fit into each other's collections. Each of us has a personal list of must haves, right? I wonder how many other people own the lenses in my personal list of nine? And how many other people own the lenses in your list of nine? And how many of everybody else's lists are owned by other people? The lists of nine found in more collections would be significant, yes? Finding a list of nine lenses in many collections would nominate the list for being generally accepted as The List of MF Must-have Lenses...

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

visualopsins wrote:
For me would be interesting to see how each of our own personal lists of nine fit into each other's collections. .

Great idea! Why don't you start a thread on that.

But again, this thread exists to answer a different question. Just trying to keep things on topic here.

Seriously, start a new thread on your topic. I think many of us would like to participate. But please let's not drive this thread off topic. Thanks

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yep, start a new discussion

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 8:29 pm    Post subject: Re: The top nine classic lenses - How many of these do you o Reply with quote

guardian wrote:
The topic here is NOT to debate which lenses should be in the top nine. Let's please save that discussion for another thread. OK?

Instead:

Here is a list of one person's top nine. It's not my personal list, I promise you. The question here is how many of the lenses on this guy's top nine list do you already own?? I'll go first:

I was surprised to own any at all of the lenses on this list. But as things turn out I already own three of the lenses on the list. In addition I own a version of the Zeiss lens, but not the precise version shown.

It's an arbitrary list. I'm betting there are participants here who own copies of ALL of those nine lenses. But the prize goes to the person who owns the most . . . and I'm confident that is not me. Wink

Here is a link to the list:

https://contrastly.com/classic-lenses/

No prize for me Smile
Only the SMC Pentax 1.4/50
Mine is the Pentax-M but has some unfortunate de-lamination of the middle cemented pair of elements.
The 1.7/50 that he mentions is a better lens IMHO

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, interesting list, mine would be very different.
and it seems that my rokkor is missing a blade..... it has only 8..... Wink

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

guardian wrote:
visualopsins wrote:
For me would be interesting to see how each of our own personal lists of nine fit into each other's collections. .

Great idea! Why don't you start a thread on that.

But again, this thread exists to answer a different question. Just trying to keep things on topic here.

Seriously, start a new thread on your topic. I think many of us would like to participate. But please let's not drive this thread off topic. Thanks

Sorry for the off-topic.

On topic, what is the question this thread exists to answer? Trying to answer that got me off topic. Smile

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

visualopsins wrote:

On topic, what is the question this thread exists to answer? Smile

Again, as stated in the OP:

Of the nine lenses on that guy's classic lens list, how many do you own. That is the only topic here.

Our heavy hitters have yet to post. I'm betting there are participants here who own copies of ALL of those nine lenses. Laugh 1

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

4 of 9 (sorta, kinda)

The sigma 28 I have.
The Vivitar 200 I have as a non-T4 Soligor badged 200/3.5
I have the Jupiter 12 in Contax mount, but don't shoot film so the edges are not what they could be.
I have a Werra camera with a CZ Tessar 50/2.8 on it, not removable.
I have seven and eight element takumar 50/1.4s, but not SMC and not the Pentax A version shown there.

One day I wouldn't mind a 58/1.2 but have no plans to get any other lens, or lens version, on the list

Last edited by Alun Thomas on Sat Oct 26, 2019 12:11 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have around 60 lenses I think. But none from the list. I'm kind of pleased in a way. There's thousands of lenses out there. Imagine if we all had the same nine.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jupiter – 12 - A great lens, worthy of the 'classic' tag.
Carl Zeiss Jena Tessar 50mm 2.8 - Another great lens, and everyone must have at least one by now?
Sigma Mini-Wide 28mm - I've got three, and try as I might I can't get a decent picture from any of them, on APSC or Full Frame. Not on my list by any measure.
Vivitar Auto F3.5 200mm - What an oddball for a list like this, but it's on my list of favourites all day long.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sciolist wrote:
I have around 60 lenses I think. But none from the list. I'm kind of pleased in a way. There's thousands of lenses out there. Imagine if we all had the same nine.

Oh, then the world would be like that

Sorry for the off-topic, me too. I just liked the poetic questions by visualopsins.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lloydy wrote:

Carl Zeiss Jena Tessar 50mm 2.8 - Another great lens, and everyone must have at least one by now?

Likely. But not that one.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2019 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I own none of "The Nine," and am very pleased with what I have.
In fact, I own nothing similar(or apparently so).

My signature offers some ideas; I've no desire to compete.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2019 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is indeed a strange list. I own a couple -- I think.

I own an SMC Pentax 50mm f/1.4 M -- does the "M" qualify?

I also own two copies of the Vivitar 200mm f/3.5 -- one in Canon FD and one in Nikon F mount. Now, I honestly don't know what the author sees in this lens. It's massive and well built, but optically it's just okay, at best. My Canon nFD 200mm f/4 is vastly superior to it. And I'll wager so is the old pre-AI Nikon 200mm f/4. I've owned several copies of it in the past, but currently don't own one. And I would go so far as to say that any 200mm produced by Pentax or Minolta would be way better also.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2019 5:31 am    Post subject: Re: The top nine classic lenses - How many of these do you o Reply with quote

None for me. As a Vivitar collector, it is shameful for me not owning the 200mm/3.5. I guess that is a TX 200mm correct? From the font, it looks like a TX, not a T4.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2019 6:38 am    Post subject: Re: The top nine classic lenses - How many of these do you o Reply with quote

vivaldibow wrote:
From the font, it looks like a TX, not a T4.

The early 70s Vivitar-Tokina lenses had the meter scale in red font, and the metal focus grip. The TX period had the meter scale in green font, and a rubber focus grip.

There's also a Kiron model with metal focus grip, red font, and a Komine model with metal focus grip and green font. I believe the Kiron was late 60s early 70s, and the Komine late 70s early 80s.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2019 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it surprised me, but I've actually got three of these lenses, a Jupiter 12 (but no digital body to fit!), two Tessars and several Tessar derivatives (Industar and the like), which are long-time favourites ... and the Vivitar 200mm in TX-mount, which I've yet to use "seriously".

I have other personal favourites, but, as commented, this is not the place for that discussion Wink

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2019 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alex ph wrote:

Oh, then the world would be like that

Like 1 . Vive la difference.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2019 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lets see. I have a Rokkor 58mm 1.2 and Jupiter 12. The Contax mount Jupiter preformed so badly on Sony a7 that it has not been used since an initial test. Probably my worst 35mm for adaptation to Sony. But I blame a part of that on the sensor design.

If it counts I also have a silver Exakta Tessar 50mm 2.8. It doesn't get much use, I tend to pick a triplet instead.

Finally the Rokkor 58mm f/1.2 lives up to most of the hype. The only negative is that the bokeh gets cut off by the mount when used on a Minolta X-700 film camera.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2019 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the Minolta Rokkor 58/1.2, a Tessar 50/2.8 and the J-12 35/2.8 which isn t all that bad for street photography. Never thought much about the Sigma until now, but there s one for sale locally for cheap...so maybe. The Leica Summicron 50/2 is almost always on this kind of lists, as is usually a Pentax 50 mm lens. Even thouhg i like swirly bokeh, the Petzval lenses seem odd to me, as does the Vivitar.

My personal list would be very different as well.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2019 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the tessar, the rokkor and the pentax. I must concur it is a very odd list.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2019 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1.) Leica Summilux M 50mm f1.4
2.) Minolta MC Rokkor 58mm f1.2
3.) Leica Summicron-M 50mm f2.0
4.) Petzval 85mm f2.2
5.) SMC Pentax 50mm f1.4
6.) The Jupiter – 12
7.) Carl Zeiss Jena Tessar 50mm 2.8
8.) Sigma Mini-Wide 28mm
9.) Vivitar Auto F3.5 200mm

I wouldn't mind the Lux, but it's a bit pricey, I have been on the lookout for a Cron 50 to go with my 24/2.8 Elmarit Asph and 90 cron APO.

I have and love the Rokkor plus a number of other fast normals, it remains one of my favorites.

I don't have the Petzval, I've been tempted by it, but I ended up getting a Meopta Meostigmat 70/1.4, it has all the swirls I could ever want, it's the same formula as the CZJ 75/1.5 Biotar and Helios 40, only it's way smaller.

I do have the Pentax, in fact I have most versions of it, Super Takumar 8 element and 7 element, S-M-C Takumar, missing the SMC, SMC K, SMC M and, SMC A. I prefer the K and S-M-C.

I never bothered with the Jupiter 12 for some reason, mostly because I already had a great Canon S 35/2.8 that doesn't cause color shift/magenta corners on my NEX-7 & A7r.

Have that Tessar, it's not a great lens, it's very cheaply made.

I don't have the Mini-Wide, but I already have a few awesome 28's, Rokkor MC 28/2.5, X-Fujinon 28/1.9 and Topcor RE 28/2.8 that I think are as good or better.

Never came across the Vivitar, I already have a few lenses that out perform it, Topcor R 200/4 Preset, and Leica R 180/3.5.