Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Rollei Zeiss vs. Contax Zeiss -- Ergonomics and Mechanics
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 8:16 am    Post subject: Rollei Zeiss vs. Contax Zeiss -- Ergonomics and Mechanics Reply with quote

I've done quite a bit of reading online but not much on mechanics and ergonomics specifically, so I would like to ask how Rollei lenses, especially the early metal Rollei Distagon 35/1.4 and Planar 85/1.4, compare to the Contax counterparts in terms of mechanics and ergonomics. I have used and owned several Contax Zeiss lenses and am familiar with them.

If numbers on the internet are trustworthy, the Rollei lenses should be slighter lighter than their Contax counterpart (35: 560g vs. 600g; 85: 537g vs. 595g) Sources: http://www.taunusreiter.de/Cameras/Rollei_QBM_Zeiss_dt.html and allphotolenses.com

I'm especially interested in the focus ring of the 85/1.4. Is the focus throw equivalent to the Contax? And is it focus ring harder to turn? (I realize this depends on the grease, but I'm curious about the effect of the smaller diameter of the Rollei).

Any general impressions will be greatly appreciated as well.

Thank you!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rollei lenses marked Zeiss are made by Zeiss and should be same quality

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:04 am    Post subject: Rollei v\s Zeiss-Yashica-Kyocera Reply with quote

I have not handled the German-Japanese C\Y Distagon, but the "Auto-Alpa color" 35\2,8 (Distagon?) made by Rollei Sigapore is compact and as solid as other contemporary optics.

According to Thewes, this and the 135 made as prototypes in Singapore, were rejected by Pignons due to quality concerns. On the other hand it mayas well have been price concerns, since the Swiss factory at that time seems to have been quite hard pressed to maintain sales of their more expensive offerings.

p.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the responses. I am sure the Rolleis are of fine build quality, but I'm asking for subjective handling experiences as compared to the Contax equivalents.

The metal Rolleis are articulated (thinner after the front element, with protruding focus and aperture rings), vs. the tubular Contax. How does that affect handling? They also seem to have wider aperture rings than the Contax lenses--true? On my 6D, I find that both focus and aperture rings of my Contax 35/1.4 and 85/1.4 are sometimes a bit hard to turn.

And again, the Rolleis appear to be uniformly lighter, which is definitely a plus for me personally.

I suppose my question is really best posed to people who have used Contax and Rollei equivalents -- e.g. Orio.

Thanks again.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Rollei 35mm/2.8 Zeiss Distagon lens with full metal focus ring - it is partly defective. Furthermore I do not own or know the Contax 35mm/2.8, only different other Zeiss Contax lenses.
I don´t like the handling of this metal focus and iris ring. I am not sure wheter I remember correctly, but I think on the back (automatic/manual switch?) was some plastic I don´t like.