Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Chinon - Tomioka 55mm f1.4
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:34 pm    Post subject: Chinon - Tomioka 55mm f1.4 Reply with quote

A lovely lens with good results.
OH

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine (#307907) is being LBA'd right now....

I really like it alot...

Some shots

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice results,can you post up a side view and back view for those of us who like seeing the whole lens? Very Happy Only if you have time of course.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mo wrote:
Nice results,can you post up a side view and back view for those of us who like seeing the whole lens? Very Happy Only if you have time of course.

OK Moira - just for you - done.
OH

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it the same of the auto revuenon 1.4/55 and auto mamiya sekor 1.4/55 (flat rear element)?

Nice samples, btw.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you.
The rear element is flat on the outside - yes.
Is it the same in other respects as the lenses that you mention - I'm not sure.
Someone will know for sure.
OH

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edited

Last edited by bernhardas on Wed May 04, 2016 7:26 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same lens from Revuenon and the elder brother 55mm f1.2. ALL from the TOMIOKA family...

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lo3ll wrote:
Same lens from Revuenon and the elder brother 55mm f1.2. ALL from the TOMIOKA family...

Ok, and what about the auto revuenon with the "O" shaped rubber grip? It also has a flat rear element, is it the same as these?
I read thousands of threads about this, but really I can't get through it.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for posting those extra views of the lens itself.The lens looks like it is in very good condition.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Revuenon 1.4 lenses with "O" shaped rubber grip were made according to the Tomioka design. They carry several markers that allow to set them apart from Revuenon lenses made by Tomioka and identified as Tomioka or identifiable as Tomioka. Those Revuenon with "O" shaped rubber grip lenses need not be of less quality, but a Tomioka is a Tomioka.

I recently read a new word that was invented to describe the image quality of Tomioka lenses quite nicely as "Zeiss-ish." By that word is meant the clearness, high luminosity, brightness of the overall appearance with strong and full primary colors. The shadows are well-defined and even in bright sunlight the image might give the appearance as if lit by a strobe-light. If "sharpness" were an attribute of colors, not only of edges, then the "Zeiss-ish" Tomioka lenses could be described as "sharp" in detail and colors.

But perhaps members have other words to describe the Tomioka lenses.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fujinonuser wrote:
But perhaps members have other words to describe the Tomioka lenses.

Over-hyped. Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fujinonuser wrote:
The Revuenon 1.4 lenses with "O" shaped rubber grip were made according to the Tomioka design. They carry several markers that allow to set them apart from Revuenon lenses made by Tomioka and identified as Tomioka or identifiable as Tomioka. Those Revuenon with "O" shaped rubber grip lenses need not be of less quality, but a Tomioka is a Tomioka.

Ok, thanks.

As for tomioka made lenses quality, I only have one, the mamiya macro sekor 2.8/60 (which everybody say it is made by tomioka), and I must admit it's great. Not cheap at all, though, seeing the prices on ebay. Luckily I managed to trade it for a bunch of (good) lenses I didn't need anymore.
Anyway I really really like it.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Over-hyped. Rolling Eyes

@iangreenhalgh1
One cannot argue about taste. I have simply tried to describe what some users like about Tomioka lenses. I have not made a statement about the quality of ALL Tomioka lenses. I have seen pictures taken with the 60mm Macro lens and they looked extremely sharp to me. I like lenses with the ability to reduce complexity to essential details. A bad lens will render artifacts in addition to the essential details. Again, for other purposes and intentions I would chose another lens. I have never liked such silly competitions about what is "the best lens." There are differences and a high price is not always indicative of excellent quality.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, when I made my comment, I was referring to how the word Tomioka is being used by ebay sellers to increase the price of items.

I honestly don't know what to think about Tomioka lenses, because it's difficult to know what is made my Tomioka and what isn't, as there appear to be several levels of quality and several manufacturers that all used the same barrels. One example is the common Chinon 2.8/28, it's a mediocre lens, doesn't achieve a good level of sharpness until stopped down to f5.6. Who made it? If Tomioka, it indicates that not all Tomiokas are good lenses, if someone else, it just shows that there were more than one maker using the same or very similar barrels.

Here is the 2.8/28 I refer to, branded Hanimex, alongside a Tomioka 1.2/55:

On ebay, it is often now called a Tomioka, in an effort to increase it's price. It's a poor lens really, and illustrates why I find it hard to form an opinion about Tomiokas, or even know what is a Tomioka and what isn't.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ian (if I may call you by that name), I fully agree with you. Regarding the 1.4 / 55mm, I feel that the extended discussions at MFlenses have shown that it is justified to call the different versions a Tomioka Planar design. It was made by different manufacturers and both the look of the metal tubes as well as the purity of the glass differ, sometimes widely.

The Hanimex or Hanimar 28mm lens shown by you clearly is a re-labelled Chinon lens with a nice Chinon metal tube. It is not identifiable as Tomioka made or designed. Please note the peculiar index marker, the position of the A/M switch and the orientation of the aperture ring. It has variously been attributed as being made by Sun, Ozunon or Cimko. There is yet another Chinon 28mm that is quite sharp. It was apparently designed and made by Tokina and sold as a Soligor, Hanimex and possibly Rikenon and Mamiya. It is the better choice. I cannot comment about the Yashinon 28mm as I have never owned a copy. That would probably be where to look for a Tomioka design.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may indeed call me Ian. Smile

Thanks for the info, very useful.

I have a theory that there was one company that produced barrels that were purchased by several optical companies, hence there are a large number of similar looking lenses that contain differing qualities of glass.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

School holidays and we are babysitting the grandchildren.
Interesting activities time ..............

100% crop

OH

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great pictures! Breathtaking sharpness, isn't it? Which camera did you mount it on?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fujinonuser wrote:
Great pictures! Breathtaking sharpness, isn't it? Which camera did you mount it on?

A humble Pentax K-10D.
Thank you for your kind words
OH

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, nice photos!