Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Difference between Cine lenses and manual lenses?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:27 am    Post subject: Difference between Cine lenses and manual lenses? Reply with quote

Why would someone want to buy a cine lens over a manual photography one?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ONe answer could be: to shoot digital movies. Cine lenses usually have longer focus throw and better focusing ring quality than photographic lenses.
But I suspect that many here buy cine lenses because of price and because they like to re-discover old forgotten lenses.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm assuming (because of the forum section) that this is about purchase decisions for shooting films using DSLRs rather than choosing cine lenses for stills photography.

Cine lenses will have a number of feature out-of-the-box that make them suitable for video work that a manual lens may have to be adapted to provide:
- click-free, smooth action, continual aperture control
- smooth action, long-throw focus ring
- deep knurled focus ring compatible with follow-focus
- aperture scale measured in t-stops

Click-free aperture ring is probably the most significant, followed closely by the throw of the focus ring. It needs to be a reasonably long throw for the operator to make steady and controlled changes in focus.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

+Professional cine lenses were and are generally top of the notch in IQ!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

do cine lenses eliminate crop factor? also do they focus properly at infinity?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kiev3 wrote:

No - yes.

(this was posted 4x - I have deleted 3 of them.)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kiev3 wrote:

depends what cine/video system they were designed for and whether the back focus(mount register distance) is suitable for your camera.

Example. A D-mount cine lens - probably the smallest mount - is designed to cover an area of 4.8mm by 3.5mm so the image circle is very small. The mount register distance is 12.29mm. It is possible to use these lenses on a Pentax Q (sensor size 6.17mm x 4.55 mm and register distance of just 9.2mm) with perhaps a touch of vignetting. The lens goes slightly inside the mount.

C mount lenses come in different types and the image circle varies depending upon which sensor it was designed for and which camera you use. I get vignetting on my NEX with a TV lens, but on a M4/3 is is less visible due to the sensor size.

Larger lenses can be used, obviously lenses designed for 35mm will be perfect on crop sensor cameras. But are extremely expensive.

The resolution of cine lenses is outstanding this is why they are popular. And TV lenses are considerably smaller than their 35mm full frame counterparts.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure, thanks for the details, but that hasn't been asked for Wink

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:
Sure, thanks for the details, but that hasn't been asked for Wink

more info then please