Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Sigma 3.5-4.5/21-35 on EOS 10qd, Polypan F50, RO9 1:100
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 4:22 am    Post subject: Sigma 3.5-4.5/21-35 on EOS 10qd, Polypan F50, RO9 1:100 Reply with quote

I hate this film, it's soft, very grainy, has crappy tonality. It only has two good points imho - it dries very flat and it has a quite good dynamic range.

Souped in Ro9 (Rodinal copy) diluted 1:100 for 60mins at 20C, cold tap water for stop bath then fixed for 5 mins in my homebrew fixer.

The lens is pretty good, needs to be stopped down about 2 stops to be sharp right to the corners but there is very little falloff of illumination and distortion is acceptable. In most of these shots I have used Photoshop to correct the barrel distortion using +8 in the Lens Correction filter when the shot was taken with the lens at the 21mm setting. I can't say what the CA and sharpness of the lens in like because firstly, I haven't shot colour with it yet and secondly, this film is soft which masks the sharpness of the lens.

Last edited by iangreenhalgh1 on Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:42 pm; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, film is crappy, but makes pictures to old look lens is good congrats!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers, I like the lens and it was very cheap so I'm pleased with it. My Konica Hexanon 4/21 is of course, quite a bit better, but nice to have a backup.

Here's a comparison to show the barrel distortion at the 21mm end, first is uncorrected, second has been corrected:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the lens' performance shines through despite the film. Thanks for sharing these, have yet to try my copy of
the lens:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hope you enjoy it Bill, I like mine, now I need to give it some decent film to play with. Smile

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
Hope you enjoy it Bill, I like mine, now I need to give it some decent film to play with. Smile

Hope so, too, Ian, I don't thrive on disappointment. Laughing Your results are encouraging...

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck. I didn't get far with a second shoot today, it went from a quite bright half clear sky to raining after I got no more than 300yrds from the house. Sad