Home
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Sigma 3.5-4.5/21-35 on EOS 10qd, Polypan F50, RO9 1:100
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 4:22 am    Post subject: Sigma 3.5-4.5/21-35 on EOS 10qd, Polypan F50, RO9 1:100 Reply with quote

I hate this film, it's soft, very grainy, has crappy tonality. It only has two good points imho - it dries very flat and it has a quite good dynamic range.

Souped in Ro9 (Rodinal copy) diluted 1:100 for 60mins at 20C, cold tap water for stop bath then fixed for 5 mins in my homebrew fixer.

The lens is pretty good, needs to be stopped down about 2 stops to be sharp right to the corners but there is very little falloff of illumination and distortion is acceptable. In most of these shots I have used Photoshop to correct the barrel distortion using +8 in the Lens Correction filter when the shot was taken with the lens at the 21mm setting. I can't say what the CA and sharpness of the lens in like because firstly, I haven't shot colour with it yet and secondly, this film is soft which masks the sharpness of the lens.

Last edited by iangreenhalgh1 on Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:42 pm; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, film is crappy, but makes pictures to old look lens is good congrats!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers, I like the lens and it was very cheap so I'm pleased with it. My Konica Hexanon 4/21 is of course, quite a bit better, but nice to have a backup.

Here's a comparison to show the barrel distortion at the 21mm end, first is uncorrected, second has been corrected:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the lens' performance shines through despite the film. Thanks for sharing these, have yet to try my copy of
the lens:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hope you enjoy it Bill, I like mine, now I need to give it some decent film to play with. Smile

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
Hope you enjoy it Bill, I like mine, now I need to give it some decent film to play with. Smile

Hope so, too, Ian, I don't thrive on disappointment. Laughing Your results are encouraging...

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck. I didn't get far with a second shoot today, it went from a quite bright half clear sky to raining after I got no more than 300yrds from the house. Sad