Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Sigma 400mm f/5.6 - Which model?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 7:47 pm    Post subject: Sigma 400mm f/5.6 - Which model? Reply with quote

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/Sigma-A-400mm-F5-6-A-PK-LENS-FOR-PENTX-K10D-K20D-K7-K5-K-M-K-X-K-R-K100D-K200D-/00/s/NDAwWDEwMjU=/z/-jkAAOxyB0VRySnM/$T2eC16NHJGYFFkvsIle3BRySnMTvJw~~60_58.jpg

I've Googled a lot but I'm still not sure which exact model this is. It's a KA mount lens, that's for sure. Help would be appreciated.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is super crap better to avoid, at least mine was really crap, this lens has a same looking variant but APO (or at least you see APO label on it Smile ) that is good one I still have it, actual Multi Coated went to trash bin.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha thanks. Do you think if I tell them it's sh*t I'll get a discount? Very Happy

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sigma Apo Tele Macro 400/5.6 - the last version-is the best.Previous - just apo 400/5.6- is acceptable though not stellar.Earliest model ,(the one from your link),without apo correction, is rather not recommended.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the Sigma 400/5.6 APO Tele Macro version and as Attila said it's a good one, I haven't used the older non APO or APO non Tele Macro versions so can't tell how much better but based on specs, it focuses down to 1:3 with 400mm working distance that's quite a big deal. Some even refer it as the Canon EF 400 5.6L killer due to it being half the price of the Canon and IQ rivals it with better macro capability. Only down side is F5.6 might be slow in some situations and AF speed for the non HSM version (doesn't really matter if you use it as MF, this is MFlenses forum after all but as a buyer it's normal to take into consideration these aspects even if you're an MFer, just my opinion).

The APO Tele Macro version is pretty rare and most often seen in Canon & Nikon mount. Pentax is rarer. The HSM version is very rare I haven't seen one myself before, most people won't sell it I guess. Hope that helps Smile.

Oh btw, you can also consider the Sigma 300/4 APO if you can find one in Pentax mount (assuming you use Pentax cause the one you showed is Pentax). It's basically the little brother of the 400/5.6 and most people just add a x1.4 tele converter to make it 420/5.6 and increases magnification by 40 percent. So you basically convert the 300/4 into 400/5.6 with 20mm more and more magnification.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sigma wrote and partially still writes APO on everything which isn't an CA-light-saber.
But anyway I can second that the APO and the especially the APO Macro are much better than the non-Apo, which should be really avoided.

Sigmas "APO" has nothing to do with the famous "APO" lenses of brands like Zeiss, Leitz, Nikon, Minolta,....
But Sigmas "APO" label is not as bad as these from "Voigtländer APO 28-200 Tele Zoom" platic soup-zoom lenses though Laughing

Last edited by ForenSeil on Sat Nov 02, 2013 7:34 pm; edited 6 times in total

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Giklab wrote:
Haha thanks. Do you think if I tell them it's sh*t I'll get a discount? Very Happy

Not even for free, time to try and postal fee still much for this lens Smile

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ForenSeil wrote:
Sigma wrote and partially still writes APO on everything which isn't an CA-light-saber Wink
Almost as funny as these (Cosina made?) "Apo Voigtländer 28-200" soup-zoom lenses Laughing
But anyway I can second that the APO and the APO Macro are both much better than the non-Apo, which should be really avoided.

This was my bet too, Sigma APO is meaning less, I have pretty bad experience with Sigma manual lenses, only a few was okay, rest of it garbage.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I'm looking for something longer than 300mm without having to resort to various Wundertubes. @bruzzo Yes, I use Pentax. Thanks for the recommendations.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With Apo mark this lens is okay, good one.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Attila I just remembered you live "next" to me Very Happy . Where do you get your lenses? I've gone through Ebay EU and local sources, so I need new ones Very Happy.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tamron SP 500/8 (decent mirror lens) if you wan't something more compact.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Giklab wrote:
@Attila I just remembered you live "next" to me Very Happy . Where do you get your lenses? I've gone through Ebay EU and local sources, so I need new ones Very Happy.

Ebay and local sources, Tamron SP500 is a good hint .

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get a Tair-3C 4.5/300 and get a little closer to target. Smile

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well thanks guys. Looks like it's only 300mm vs 500mm (inb4 both Very Happy ) and if I'm prepared to use a mirror lens.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did try many long lens quality is drop dramatically above 300mm if price is affordable, mirror lens is exception they offer excellent quality in 500mm focal length on affordable price , you can pickup locally MTO 500mm Russian mirror on low price. Question is what would you like to do with long lens, if subject fill frame , doughnuts are not visible , if you willing to shoot smaller subjects , mirror lens bokeh can be disturbing at blurry areas. Another tough thing is size and weight if you not select mirror lens. One of the best non mirror 400-500mm lenses what I did try and price is affordable lens is not damn heavy , Sigma 400mm f5.6 APO , Novoflex 400mm f5.6 , Beroflex 500mm f8 'wundertutte' Carl Zeiss Jena Fernobjektiv 500mm f8 not cheap due rarity, but light weight , incredible long.

Pentacon 500mm f5.6 cheap but heavy rocket launcher

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
you can pickup locally MTO 500mm Russian mirror on low price.

Pentacon 500mm f5.6 cheap but heavy rocket launcher

Right now looking at a MTO 500/8 and a Tamron 400/7.2 (refractor lens). The MTO finishes first, but maybe I'll go for both Very Happy

I've seen a Pentacon that's priced at 250€. Not exactly cheap, but you get what you pay for, I guess?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the end I let them pass... One because the price jumped to an unreasonable level in the last 10 minutes and the other because there were 10 bids for ~1-2£ by what looked like the same person. Which just seems like the seller inflated the price with a second account.