Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Desert Island 50mm
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:33 pm    Post subject: Desert Island 50mm Reply with quote

As the topic states ,specifically 1 ,ONE ,UNO, if you could only choose 1 50/55/57MM ,out of all you've ever owned,or had the chance to use,which would it be..if you have a example image you've taken with it please post or and an image of the lens itself.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me there is no question. If required to select only one manual focus 50is lens it would be the Zeiss Ultron 1.8/50. Mine is in M42 mount but it was primarily produced in Ikarex mount.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

newst wrote:
For me there is no question. If required to select only one manual focus 50is lens it would be the Zeiss Ultron 1.8/50. Mine is in M42 mount but it was primarily produced in Ikarex mount.

Friends
Is it similar to the Zeiss QBM mount?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first generation of this lens was a Voigtlander Ultron 2.0/50 for the Prominent camera. Then Zeiss bought Voigtlander and had the lens produced as the Zeiss Ultron, 1.8/50, in Ikarex mount for that Zeiss camera, but also in M42. Later, a redesigned Voigtlander Color-Ultron 50mm 1.8 was released, in QBM and M42. This version had a convex front element. All are excellent designs but from what I have read the earlier concave lenses, as they were initially designed by Dr. Tronnier, were considered to be better.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a question I have thought about before and I simply have never been able to decide, there are a few I really, really love.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would never take a 50mm as my only lens on a desert island! 40mm would be my focal length... Twisted Evil

Cheers!

Abbazz

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be practical, we need to test a large number to destruction to figure out which ones could survive the plane crash that will put us on the desert island. First things first.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suggest the Pentax-M 50/2
Not because its that great, but because these things are as durable as a cockroach, and almost as numerous. A passable lens in the hand is worth three great ones in the lagoon.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it is a difficult task. it has no single decision. perhaps, I would choose Carl Zeiss 50/1.7 C/Y MMJ.

waiting for the winter by Mr TTT, on Flickr

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It greatly depends on the camera (sensor) which is left on the desert island. Maybe it's wiser to take a mechanical film camera (such as my Bessa R2 or any Minolta SRT) instead. Wink

Most probably for my Ricoh APS-C I would pick the Leitz Summicron 50/2 RF lens as it will last some more trouble free decades and delivers irreproachable picture quality. However, for my Sony DSLR FF camera I would take the Minolta AF 50/1.4 instead. Unclear about my Panasonic MFT camera yet. Maybe be the Summicron as well.

Pictures can be seen here: http://forum.mflenses.com/leitz-summicron-50mm-f2-m39-ltm-collapsible-t71104.html

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are too many great 50s. Many may have better specifications than my choice. But ...

For reliability, consistency, predictability and ease of focus, I would bring the Nikkor 50mm f2.0 H C.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will pick a fast one, say F1.2, which is useful when making a fire.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Without question... Zeiss 50mm f/1.5 Sonnar-C T* ZM

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
This is a question I have thought about before and I simply have never been able to decide, there are a few I really, really love.

c'mon make a choice. Wink

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MD Rokkor 50 / 1.4 I adore this lens as much as I trust it. But leaving my Planar 50 1.7 would be tough. And how about my favourite oddball - the Petri 55 / 1.7? Shocked

I'll stick with the Rokkor.
Minolta XD7. Minolta Rokkor 50 / 1.4 Ilford XP2

Like 1 small

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with newst on this. I have a couple of these in Icarex mount and they are truly stellar. But if I didn't have this the Septon 50mm F2 is awfully nice!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tb_a wrote:
It greatly depends on the camera (sensor) which is left on the desert island. Maybe it's wiser to take a mechanical film camera (such as my Bessa R2 or any Minolta SRT) instead. Wink

Most probably for my Ricoh APS-C I would pick the Leitz Summicron 50/2 RF lens as it will last some more trouble free decades and delivers irreproachable picture quality. However, for my Sony DSLR FF camera I would take the Minolta AF 50/1.4 instead. Unclear about my Panasonic MFT camera yet. Maybe be the Summicron as well.

Pictures can be seen here: http://forum.mflenses.com/leitz-summicron-50mm-f2-m39-ltm-collapsible-t71104.html

Ahh, but where will you get the paper and chemicals on this deserted island to process those analog images? Come to think of it, how will one keep the batteries charged for a digital camera? As Yul Brynner said, "It is a puzzlement."

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

USB Solar Chargers, $15-25 from ebay.

Will have to fiddle with adapters and @#$&&# of course.

Much harder will be how to get your pictures off the island. Or off your camera.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I'll better take the painting equipment instead. Wink

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think a macro lens would be a nice companion on a desert island. Portraiting bugs and documenting the local flora and fauna could be a nice way of spending your spare time...

Cheers!

Abbazz

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lloydy wrote:
iangreenhalgh1 wrote:

c'mon make a choice. Wink

Fantasy: Kubrick's 0.7/50 Planar

Reality: Nikon Micro-Nikkor 3.5/55 - sharp as hell both closeup and at distance, incredibly well built, I'll chose it over the others for the added macro ability.

Luis makes a good point about durability, in which case a 1960's Nikkor-H 2/50 for everyone, those things will survive a nuclear war!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Desert Island 50?

Leica 50 Summicron APO. At f/2, nothing else compares. Period

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

james wrote:
Desert Island 50?

Leica 50 Summicron APO. At f/2, nothing else compares. Period
And once on the desert island, we're out of reach of the debt collectors anyway Laughing