Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Insect photos with my new old 105mm Micro Nikkor
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 12:32 am    Post subject: Insect photos with my new old 105mm Micro Nikkor Reply with quote

This is my first picture post, hopefully doing the right thing by making them 1024 pixels wide (except the first, which is smaller).

I picked up this lens the other day for $70 at the local market. Well used, but the glass is reasonably clear with only a little bit of internal condensation.

When I saw this robber fly on the clothes line in the backyard I quickly ran inside and reappeared with my D300 and the Micro Nikkor. My first picture is from a 'safe' distance. This is w/o cropping. Unfortunately, the fly was in the shadow, while the bushes in the background were well lit. Nevertheless, at least the background has an interesting kaleidoscope-like effect to it.

This next one is an actual-size crop from the same image.

At last the sun shone on the fly and I also ventured to approach it closer. Cropped and 50% size reduced.

The fly didn't seem to mind me coming closer (which only made me nervous).

Sometimes it would fly away and come back again. This last picture was taken 'in the blind' as the sun was shining right into my eyes. I only noticed it had a prey when I enlarged the image on the LCD screen. It's a pity the exposure was incorrect (so this image has some Photoshop applied to it).

This spider (species yet to be identified) took up camp on the review mirror of my mother's car. It did not mind to be photographed at all. In fact, it did not show the slightest inclination to leave, so eventually my mother grabbed it with a tissue paper and threw it into the bush - which was a rather brave move, I thought.

I'm quite happy with the performance of the lens. What do you think? (You can also comment on the performance of the photographer.

Smile )

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice images!

Spiders make great subjects, they rarely run away unless you touch them.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fuzzywuzzy wrote:
Nice images!

Spiders make great subjects, they rarely run away unless you touch them.

Yes, they stay put. The fly was harder to photograph and I think it shows on the sharpness (or lack of it). Also, there was a slight breeze. However, the lens with it's 105mm, which was actually made into a 150mm by the 1.5 crop factor on the D300, was a joy to use.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great series from a great lens! Spiders has hair also helps to show sharpness just like cats.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Great series from a great lens! Spiders has hair also helps to show sharpness just like cats.

Thanks Attila.

And yes, when it comes to hairy (or fury) creatures, cute cats are also a more popular subject with photographers - wonder why? Wink

Still not sure what spider this is. Any spider experts on the forum?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Totally great start !

Looks like you'll have fun with this lens !

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mir wrote:
Totally great start !

Looks like you'll have fun with this lens !

Thanks Mir. The lens feels good in the hand and it makes me wonder why I spent more than 10x as much on an AF lens which stays at home most of the time due to it's weight/bulk.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice pictures. and you got the lens for $70? great price

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

very well done!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look at that spider Shocked !
Where do you live?

70$ is a crazy price for such an awesome lens.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

congrats, superb captures with this great lens !

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fine shots with a great lens

patrickh

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nikkor 105/2.8 AIS is a great lens and one of my favourites.Excellent image quality in macro more and up to infinity.Very solid but not too big.Nice to operate.Good for FF and mirrorless (manual focusing and aperture).I enjoy it any time I take it out for shooting.

Nikon D600+Nikkor Micro 105/2.8 AIS

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovely pics, thanks for sharing!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you caspert79 Smile

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

caspert79 wrote:
Look at that spider Shocked !
Where do you live?

70$ is a crazy price for such an awesome lens.

Australia is the home of this spider, like many other interesting creatures. But sadly, even here the wildlife is rapidly disappearing due to homo sapiens expanding and converting the environment.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice macros, congrats!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what does the small chrome knob on the side of the barrel do?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hifisapi wrote:
what does the small chrome knob on the side of the barrel do?

It locks the focus ring.