Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Takumar wide angle lenses are they good?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2023 6:07 am    Post subject: Takumar wide angle lenses are they good? Reply with quote

Hi,
Are the takumar wide angles good?
They seem to have similar build quality to the yashinon dx line.
Especially the 35 mm 3.5 version seems to be normal priced and on the net i found great test shots.
Had a vivitar 35 mm tokina made wirh soft corners. Howbis the tak 35 mm?
Kind regards bluedxca93

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2023 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Super Takumar 35mm f/3.5 (circa 1964) has always given me perfectly satisfactory results, but I'm notorious for not bothering about the odd few pixels in the corner of the frame not being perfectly sharp, especially at full aperture, that's all part of the "character" of the lens … inevitably YMMV Wink
FWIW, I'm also perfectly happy with the results I get from my Vivitar TX 35mm f/2.5, my Tamron Adapt-a-Matic 35mm f/2.8, my Soligor 35mm f/2.8 in T2 mount and especially my Fujinon 35mm f/1.9 … make of that what you will Wink

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2023 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

28mm has very low distortion.

35/2.3 is magical.

35/2 fat version is best of 35s but big.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2023 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Compared to contemporary lenses they are among the best, also compared to third party stuff up into the eighties and nineties. I am sure someone will find fault with their corners and have some Minolta that does better though.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2023 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am quite happy with the Super Takumar 28 / 3.5, not the best with low light (weak in contrast wide open), but still much better than mostly competitors.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2023 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the S-M-C Takumar 35/3.5. It's very tiny and beautifully built. It's by no means technically perfect, but the images are very pleasing and poppy, also pretty good when stopped down.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2023 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The S-M-C 35/3.5 is rather good considering its age even on full-frame. On APS-C it surely works even better.

My copy of S-M-C 28/3.5 was rather poor on infinity even on APS-C. Maybe it was just a bad copy.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2023 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 35/3,5 is a very good lens for walk around.
Very tiny, light and in the pic you will see all that you wanted to.

A long time ago I have used the big and oldest 28/3,5 and it seemed very sharp.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2023 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I doubt you could find a better value. Considering age, build quality, image IQ, price and potential resale value you are unlikelyto beat them. Newer wides will certainly beat it on image quality but price and resale value and build quality are nowhere near as good (damn few lenses ever built will compete on this front IMHO). How much were you thinking to spend? A hundred and a quarter should get a very nice example of the Asahi Pentax-M SMC 35mm 2.8 in PK mount.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2023 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed, the 35/3.5 is excellent in APS-C and 35mm.

Depending on which camera system you will use the lens, and considering these are 50+yr old they can be excellent to good. Also some have not been cared properly or have misaligned over time.

Considering that I'm a pentaxian, I tend to rate them high
The 28/3.5 is a VG lens in APS, G in 35mm
and the 20mm is G in APS.

I've had a few 28s and recently got a 35 and a 20.
The Takumar 28 is better than most lenses of the time, but not as good as the NIkkor 28mm/2.8 or the 1980s SMC-A 28mm/2.8

Pentax SV / H3v - SuperTakumar 28mm

papasito wrote:
The 35/3,5 is a very good lens for walk around.
Very tiny, light and in the pic you will see all that you wanted to.

A long time ago I have used the big and oldest 28/3,5 and it seemed very sharp.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2023 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would use it on APSC on an eos 2000d.
While not beeing the best camera it produces sharp enough photos for din A4/a3 pronts which is enough for my purposes.

Thanks A lot for the answers.
The reason i would like to buy the 35 takumar is that i suppose it has a good built quality while examples looking sharp and price is reasonable.

Have an 28 mm ml on which i have infinity problems either buy a second 28 ml or a new adapter...The 28 mm takumar seems to cost much more than the 35mm.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2023 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

titrisol70 wrote:

The Takumar 28 is better than most lenses of the time, but not as good as the NIkkor 28mm/2.8 or the 1980s SMC-A 28mm/2.8

It's successor however, the SMC Pentax (non M) 28mm f/3.5, is one of the best vintage 28's around.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2023 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

caspert79 wrote:
titrisol70 wrote:

It's successor however, the SMC Pentax (non M) 28mm f/3.5, is one of the best vintage 28's around.

Yea, the K 28/3.5 is astonishing for landscapes. However, it is not a common lens and the price is kinda high nowadays.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2023 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

titrisol70 wrote:

Which is quite logical since the SMC Takumar is the oldest of the three lenses. Nethertheless, it is very good and perfectly useable as a landscape lens (very good behaviour against the light and uniform sharpness stopped down). While it might be not as good as the later SMC Pentax 28 mm f/3.5, it's close enough to replace it.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2023 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The SMC Pentax-M 28/3.5 is not so far behind the SMC K version and much cheaper. On APS-C extreme corner performance (Which is not bad, just not as good as the K) won't matter. The Pentax-m 28/2.8 is no slouch either. I prefer them over the A version because of build quality. The A series was a bit lacking in that especially the more common 50 an 28mm lenses.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2023 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The M series 28mm was my go for years, until I got a A-28mm, which communicates with the Pentax DSLRs and allows me to control the aperture

Optically they are not disimilar

I know of the K-28/3.5 but it is a bit pricey

D1N0 wrote:
The SMC Pentax-M 28/3.5 is not so far behind the SMC K version and much cheaper. On APS-C extreme corner performance (Which is not bad, just not as good as the K) won't matter. The Pentax-m 28/2.8 is no slouch either. I prefer them over the A version because of build quality. The A series was a bit lacking in that especially the more common 50 an 28mm lenses.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2023 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

visualopsins wrote:
28mm has very low distortion.

35/2.3 is magical.

35/2 fat version is best of 35s but big.

I second the f2.3! Incredible bokeh, at least