Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Lens identification
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 11:18 pm    Post subject: Lens identification Reply with quote

Hello, I was wondering if any of you could identify the brand of this lens, as shown in the pictures there is no nameplate or serial number on it, it is a 28 mm f/2.8. Can´t even remember now how I got it.

In the Auto/Manual switch the A is in red and the M in green.

Some quick shots with the lens, no PP at all just converted the raw image with capture one

f/2.8

f/4

f/4.5

f/5.6

f/8

f/11

Thanks

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like a Sun or Chinon lens to me. It could have had any number of brands on it originally.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bell & Howell perhaps

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I concur on the Sun origin. It could have had any of a dozen or more brands.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a "Sunagor" (Soligor?) 28mm f2.8 M42 that looks very similar. The ink is different colours but the layout is identical.
It also has a slightly hazy/flary low contrast look that yours has - not sure it has any useful coatings. It might have some use as a flare-monster effects lens, but I need to try it out properly.
Not a lot of info out there on Sunagor, but as people have pointed out, these cheap lens designs got hawked out under all sorts of brands.

I would say this is a 60s/70s model. There seems to be a later (1980s?) Soligor version with multicoating which looks like it might be a much better lens.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

casualcollector wrote:
I concur on the Sun origin. It could have had any of a dozen or more brands.

+1

Always check well for condensation haze before testing and making conclusions. In good shape this SUN is comparable to pre-RMC Tokina version (big front glass design).

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My bet would be Chinon, but Sun is also very likely
Is it hazy?

Last edited by ForenSeil on Sat Oct 05, 2013 4:56 pm; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ForenSeil wrote:
My bet would be Chinon

CHINON did not make lenses at least until PK mount. A while ago i opened this topic:
http://forum.mflenses.com/viewtopic.php?t=39944

Most of them would now be recognized as Tomioka, SUN, Tokina, Cima Kogaku, Cosina and Tamron made.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems to be not very sharp: perhaps it is focusing beyond infinity? Otherwise you would expect sharper pictures at small aperture?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the replies,

I know it is very difficult to tell which brand this lens is, I was just wondering if someone had one exactly like this.

Mos6502,

I thought it could be chinon at first but I had several of those before and the barrel design is different (silver bezels on the focusing ring for example, leatherette instead of diamond plastic grip sometimes, etc), also I have googled for images both for chinon and sun 28 mm lenses and cant find one that looks too much to this one.

philslizzy,

These are the ones looking more similar than this one (Bell and Howell), specially for the green on aperture numbers and going from higher to lower aperture (left to right) but again from the pictures I get from internet differ on the big front element of the one I have, osawa where similar too but the aperture numbers where from right to left compared to this one.

caspert79

It might be my fault, light was not great (very odd being cloudy in this part of the world) and did it in hurry (lazy) as the lens can deliver much better images than the ones I posted (not great tough).

Again thanks for the replies, lets see if someone else has the same lens in the forum, cheers,

Francisco

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, i had three like this. SUN, again.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the glass clean? It looks in the samples like it has some haze, or at least, that's how the performance seems to be.

Most of these third party 2.8/28s are poor, not getting acceptably sharp until f5.6. If your camera can mount one, I highly recommend the Minolta 3.5/28 and 2.8/28, very cheap but superb. The Konica 3.5/28 is excellent too.