Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

C/Y Vario-Sonnar 35-70mm f3.4 vs Sonnar 85mm f2.8
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 9:48 am    Post subject: C/Y Vario-Sonnar 35-70mm f3.4 vs Sonnar 85mm f2.8 Reply with quote

Maybe a stupid question, but since they are both sonnars, would the output of the Vario-Sonnar at 70mm f3.5 be similar to the Sonnar 85mm at f3.5 ?

I have the zoom, does it make sense to by the 85mm prime ?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The VS 35-70mm is very sharp and contrasty from wide open, as is the Sonnar 85/2.8. The VS is more prone to vignetting wide open though (as far as I remember), and obviously has a shorter focal length. Both lenses are stunning either way Smile

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 12:03 pm    Post subject: Re: C/Y Vario-Sonnar 35-70mm f3.5 vs Sonnar 85mm f2.8 Reply with quote

asterinex wrote:
Maybe a stupid question, but since they are both sonnars, would the output of the Vario-Sonnar at 70mm f3.5 be similar to the Sonnar 85mm f2.8 at f3.5 ?

I have the zoom, does it make sense to by the 85mm prime ?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even if both lenses are excellent - which they doubtlessly are - it doesn't make a lot sense to buy the 2.8/85 when you already have the 35-70.
The difference between 70mm / f3.5 and 85mm / f2.8 is somewhat marginal.
Either try to get the 1.4/85 or the 2.8/135. That would make more sense. (I'm a big fan of focal lens doubling. Wink)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1, the 85/1.4 is incredible Shocked

BTW, the 85/2.8 is about an inch shorter than the zoom, if that's of any help Smile

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry if I'm being picky, but aren't you talking about the C/Y F3.4 zoom? There is a 3.5-5.6 Contax G zoom...

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CBokeh wrote:
Sorry if I'm being picky, but aren't you talking about the C/Y F3.4 zoom? There is a 3.5-5.6 Contax G zoom...

Yes, it is indeed the 3.4f zoom. Sorry for the confusion.

Some interesting thoughts here. Well the 85mm f1.4 is too big and heavy for my taste. I have the CZJ Pancolar 80mm which I believe has similar rendering, but is much smaller and lighter.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've edited the title to avoid confusion Smile

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

asterinex wrote:
CBokeh wrote:

Always good to confirm!

asterinex wrote:

Some interesting thoughts here. Well the 85mm f1.4 is too big and heavy for my taste. I have the CZJ Pancolar 80mm which I believe has similar rendering, but is much smaller and lighter.

What camera body are you planning to use? Crop or full frame?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

asterinex wrote:
CBokeh wrote:

I think too Pancolar 80 is better lens from every aspects than Planar 85mm f1.4 , zoom probably big and heavy, I have Sonnar 85mm f2.8
actually my favorite lens. If you are fine with heavier, bigger lens your zoom probably perfectly fine, except if you look on all picture thin DOF as majority of people Wink

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
asterinex wrote:
CBokeh wrote:

I think too Pancolar 80 is better lens from every aspects than Planar 85mm f1.4 , zoom probably big and heavy, I have Sonnar 85mm f2.8
actually my favorite lens. If you are fine with heavier, bigger lens your zoom probably perfectly fine, except if you look on all picture thin DOF as majority of people Wink

The zoom is indeed big and heavy. That's a real minus.
I'm using Fuji X-E1. If I find a good copy of the sonnar 85 at a reasonable price, I buy it. But I'm not in a hurry.
For me very thin DOF is not really that important.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The zoom is actually pretty light at 475g, the 85/1.4 is actually 120g heavier Smile

I have yet to find a portrait lens better than the Planar 85/1.4 (subjectively)...

http://forum.mflenses.com/i-love-my-planar-85-1-4-t40255.html

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ManualFocus-G wrote:

I have yet to find a portrait lens better than the Planar 85/1.4 (subjectively)...

Then we are two subjects Wink

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Niiiiice Cool

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ManualFocus-G wrote:

The CZJ Pancolar 80mm f1.8 maybe Twisted Evil

@Orio : Terrific portrait ! The planar is indeed one of the best in it's class.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

asterinex wrote:

The zoom is indeed big and heavy. That's a real minus.
I'm using Fuji X-E1. If I find a good copy of the sonnar 85 at a reasonable price, I buy it. But I'm not in a hurry.
For me very thin DOF is not really that important.

In that case, you should consider a Voigtländer Color-Heliar 2.5/75. That's an extremely well built rangefinder lens.
Compact and an nothing but excellent performer! Fits well to the X-E1.

You can find them for about €300,-.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thx for the tip!