Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Landscapes with Minolta 21mm f2.8 on Nex5n with Lens Turbo
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:28 am    Post subject: Landscapes with Minolta 21mm f2.8 on Nex5n with Lens Turbo Reply with quote

I recently went for an overnight trip down south, I wanted to make the most of it so I shot some landscapes with my Minolta 21mm f2.8 on Nex5n with Lens Turbo adapter.

I shot a bunch more, please do check them out here if interested: http://joshpereraphoto.metalforfishes.com/?p=2182

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

looks nice, do you have color version?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, but I don't find that this combo has a decent IQ beside center Sad

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

agree with Iaza's question - do you have that shot in color? I actually like the color shots on your website more, especially the one with the rails

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ultrpix wrote:
Sorry, but I don't find that this combo has a decent IQ beside center Sad

You are exactly right mate. I make comment of this on my blog post, I maybe should have stated that here too. The lens turbo accentuates your lenses good qualities but also the bad. If a lens has soft corners it increases them and magnifies the problem. I like that I can get the full wide veiw from the lens, but it frustrates me how soft the edges are. Like I said in my post, I will return again to shoot with this lens of my Fullframe Nex once I get my grubby hands on one. haha
I have tested the lens turbo with my mamiya 645 lenses and the edges are not soft, as you are still not even getting close to the edges of those lenses, so it seems these problems are entirely lens dependent in combination with the lens turbo.

IAZA wrote:
looks nice, do you have color version?

strangelove wrote:
agree with Iaza's question - do you have that shot in color? I actually like the color shots on your website more, especially the one with the rails

Thank you for taking the time to look at my blog post I do greatly appreciate it. I do have this shot in colour on my photobucket account I will go dig it up. As I stated in my blog post, the reason I converted this shot to b&w is because I had the 'Blue Dot of Doom' in the center of this shot, another floor with the lens tubo if shooting in very sunny conditions, it is caused by refractions through the adapter resulting in a circular blue area in your shot with a drop in contrast through the area. I have had some success correcting for it in some of the shots, but this one I was never happy with it till I converted to b&w.
Ok, so here is the shot in colour. I really am not happy with it, I really do prefer the b&w version:

Do you see the blue dot of doom? I have done a lot of work to remove it, but it is still there. This is one of the trade offs with using this adapter to achieve the wider field of view and extra stop of light.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hood wrote:
Do you see the blue dot of doom? I have done a lot of work to remove it, but it is still there. This is one of the trade offs with using this adapter to achieve the wider field of view and extra stop of light.

yep - totally get the conversion now :-/

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

strangelove wrote:
Hood wrote:

yep - totally get the conversion now :-/

Haha, cheers. So yes, the lens turbo is a fun tool to have in your kit to get the fullframe 'look' but it does have some serious drawbacks too. I think it is definitely best suited to portraits, flowers, and street-photography. I also have my suspicions about a low-light problem with refraction too. I will post when I have more on that.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your answer; useful to know Smile

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ultrapix wrote:
Thanks for your answer; useful to know Smile

Not a problem mate, thank you for taking the time to view my pictures. Very Happy