Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Don't Judge a Book by Its Cover - Diamonds in the Rough
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 6:50 am    Post subject: Don't Judge a Book by Its Cover - Diamonds in the Rough Reply with quote

I'm sure that we all have stories to tell about the gem that popped up from under a surface of grime or at the bottom of a pile of junk.
This is a thread that you can add to if you would like to share your experience.
Now here is mine.
I bid for, and was lucky enough to win this not too wonderful looking camera.
It went for not much at all.
I have been after an M42 50mm Yashinon lens for some time, but they all seem to go for more than I want to pay. So, maybe a camera will have one attached. The camera doesn't really matter too much if the lens looks OK.
Here is the original listing:

Here it is with a minimal clean:

Not too shabby at all.
OH

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A filter mounted on the lens is always a good sign.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've see lots of Contax RTS's in boot sales and charity shops and I always get excited hoping there may be a Planar attached but there's always only a Yashinon. This one. So its worth getting then?.

I've seen one attached to a Contax RTS with pretty reasonable covering, along with a Hanimex 135 2.8, 2x converter, Vivitar 283 and other stuff for about £20. I'll bob over on Saturday it may still be there.

Do I need another system? or another 50??

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

philslizzy wrote:
I've see lots of Contax RTS's in boot sales and charity shops and I always get excited hoping there may be a Planar attached but there's always only a Yashinon. This one. So its worth getting then?.

I've seen one attached to a Contax RTS with pretty reasonable covering, along with a Hanimex 135 2.8, 2x converter, Vivitar 283 and other stuff for about £20. I'll bob over on Saturday it may still be there.

I have seen some very good results from this kind of Yashinon 50mm f1.9 lens taken by others.
I will give a it a run and see if this one measures up.

Stay posted.
OH

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

philslizzy wrote:

The lens attached to an RTS won't be the Yashinon 50/1.9 as it's an M42 lens. It will likely be the Yashica ML 50/1.7, ML 50/2 or a cheaper Yashica DSB lens.

The M42 Yashinon 50/1.9 is actually pretty good, although you need to stop it down a bit. It can create swirly bokeh on occasion Smile

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This Yashinon DS Auto 50mm f1.9 is auto only - no manual aperture control switch - so I will need to use it with an M42 to PK adapter that depresses the auto aperture pin (- on my Pentax K-10D - I don't shoot much film these days).
The multi coating reminds me very much of the Canon SC coatings of around the same time.
I might get some time tomorrow for some tests.
OH

Last edited by Oldhand on Fri Sep 20, 2013 9:40 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I've see lots of Contax RTS's in boot sales and charity shops

I must be going to the wrong boot fairs! Fair enough, I got my first 50/1.7 Planar in a charity shop but have never seen a Contax body and I would grab any non-motorised Contax body (or a Yash FR-I for that matter) if the price was right, as they are all lovely to use. Plus any ML lens will be an acceptable performer, at worst.[/i]

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

barryreid wrote:
Quote:
I've see lots of Contax RTS's in boot sales and charity shops

I must be going to the wrong boot fairs! Fair enough, I got my first 50/1.7 Planar in a charity shop but have never seen a Contax body and I would grab any non-motorised Contax body (or a Yash FR-I for that matter) if the price was right, as they are all lovely to use. Plus any ML lens will be an acceptable performer, at worst.[/i]

Ni I'M going to the wrong ones as they never have a Planar! The bodies are usually in terrible shape as the covering goes 'manky'. Anyhoo, I'm off to see if the YMCA still has that bag of stuff behind the counter.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, here are some results for the Yashinon-DS 50mm f1.9 on Pentax K-10D
Some quick and hasty samples.
I missed focus on one or two and it is slightly behind the subject so if it isn't sharp, look higher in the image.

100% crop

and @100% crop of the above

And something completely different

100% crop of corner

This lens is not just good, but I might venture to say - it is outstanding...........
.... and as cheap as chips ...............
OH

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are some more images from the Yashinon 50mm f1.9
Once again on Pentax K-10D

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I picked up an ML 50/1.4 last weekend, I have not had a chance to try it out yet.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:07 am    Post subject: Re: Don't Judge a Book by Its Cover - Diamonds in the Rough Reply with quote

Oldhand wrote:

Not too shabby at all.
OH

Oldhand, did you do anything special to get the black parts so black or did you simply wipe off the dust?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:20 am    Post subject: Re: Don't Judge a Book by Its Cover - Diamonds in the Rough Reply with quote

CBokeh wrote:
Oldhand wrote:

Not too shabby at all.
OH

Oldhand, did you do anything special to get the black parts so black or did you simply wipe off the dust?

Nothing special, just a wipe over with a damp cloth and better lighting when I photographed them.
I am amazed constantly by the quality of the cameras that were produced in the 60's and 70's.
I am really liking this lens.
Best $16 I ever spent
OH