Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Best camera for handheld HDR
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:41 pm    Post subject: Best camera for handheld HDR Reply with quote

I've been looking at a new camera for HDR shooting and the options seem very limited. The best of the current model that are affordable are the Samsung NX series, with the 2omp NX20 being the one that appeals to me most as it has an EVF and a tilting screen.

Looking at the other options, most are higher end cameras that I can't afford, but some of the older ones I should be able to find at a price I could afford. I've highlighted the ones that should have good enough IQ but be cheap enough for me in yellow.

Of those yellow highlighted ones, the Canon models are all big, heavy ones that don't really appeal to me. The Nikon D2X is quite appealing, but is also a big heavy thing and I only own two Nikon lenses. The Fuji S5 Pro appeals to me a lot because it has a superb sensor, but also has the Nikon mount. The Pentax models look interesting as I have plenty of M42 lenses that could fit.

Just looking to canvas opinions and thoughts from anyone who might own any of these cameras or has any info to add.

Last edited by iangreenhalgh1 on Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:33 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the Pentax are weather sealed, which is a bonus in the Lake District. I use my K10 out in any weather and never had any issues.
The K7 is a good camera that's recently been updated so there are plenty around at decent prices. Try the UK Pentax User Forum, there's always plenty of fanboys selling good gear as they upgrade.
Where the Pentax loses out to Canon and Nikon is mostly on FPS and the speed of autofocusing, which for your style of photography doesn't matter. Where it wins however is the in camera stabilisation which works with any lens, and it does work.
I'd been a Canon man for about 30 years, I was looking for a Canon DSLR, but bought a Pentax.
If the budget stretches to it, don't discount the K-50, I think it's one of the best cameras for the money at the moment.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Dave, I'll have a closer look at the Pentaxes.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry Ian, but the Nikon D2X is APS-C. It was Nikon's flagship at one time. They didn't have a FF sensor at the time - and they pretended that nobody needed one!

I notice that you include the D300. The D5000 uses a similar sensor which actually has better dxomark specs than the D300. However it's slower, it only gives you 3 bracketed frames and it doesn't include all the pro-features (metal chassis, AF motor, Ai-metering, etc). However it will be cheaper. Also, you can mount pre Ai-lenses without modification.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you actually have any experience using any of these cameras?

I'm only interested in hearing from people who have actually used them and can report on their actual user experience, rather than minor technical points. Simply because minor technical points are usually of little consequence but I would like to hear about how the cameras have worked for people over the years, what frustrations have cropped up or what particularly good features they have that have made the user experience positive. In short, hands-on experience rather than technical minutiae.

The D5000 is not suitable, it only has a 4 stop EV range using AEB. I have only included cameras with at least 6 stops EV range via AEB.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could also add NEX-6, NEX-5R and NEX-5T on the list. Out of the box their bracketing capabilities are laughable but they have this add-on app system which enables you to install a bracketing app on them for $4.99. IIRC this app allows you to shoot bracketed photos in the range of +-5EV for a total coverage of 9EV (or is that 10EV then?). And the nex cameras are all very fast shooters, around 10 or 12 FPS.

EDIT: Actually scratch that. I don't have this, I was just repeating what I had read. Apparently this app doesn't actually work the way you'd expect. Sad

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

miran wrote:
EDIT: Actually scratch that. I don't have this, I was just repeating what I had read. Apparently this app doesn't actually work the way you'd expect. Sad

Good to know, I was deciding to buy it: I'll wait for further developments.
Too bad the apps for nex suck so far, I think the concept has some potential.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding bracketing, on many Canon you can install an extra software called Magic Lantern that reversibly modifies the firmware, adding many features. Some of them regard HDR: up to 9 brackets and other things I do not know because I do not do (yet) HDR.
http://www.magiclantern.fm
(I only have some experience with Magic Lantern ancestor, CHDK, that I installed on a couple of compact cameras).

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Enzo,that's interesting. I might try it on my old EOS 450D

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Magic Lantern works on the following cameras:

5Dc, 5D2, 5D3, 6D, 7D, 40D, 50D, 60D, 500D (T1i), 550D (T2i), 600D (T3i), 650D (T4i), 700D (T5i), 1100D (T3), EOS M, 100D (SL1)