Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Best lens for landscapes please
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 4:48 pm    Post subject: Best lens for landscapes please Reply with quote

what is the best lens for landscapes I have 28MM CZJ a OLYMPUS M.ZUIKO 75 -150MM f1,4 zoom PRAKTICAR 70-210MM ,OPTOMAS f1,5 300mm .OLYMPUS M ZUIKO 50mmf1.8 and now a OLYMPUS 35mm f 2.8 Smile

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The one you have with you.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GeorgeSalt wrote:

+1 You just beat me to it George! Smile

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Almost any lens is a good landscape lens. Most lenses are tack sharp at f/8, many are sharp well before that. The loss of light isn't generally important since for landscape work you usually (should) have a tripod with you anyway. Many people do excellent landscape work with kit lenses, even P&S cameras on manual mode.

Some people prefer wider landscapes and some prefer tele landscapes. You have to just shoot and find out what you like.

When doing landscape work you will find that the lighting makes 95% of the difference and your lens is about 5%. It's much more important that you get yourself at the right place at the right time. If this means getting up at 4am to be out there at 5am before the light of sunrise, don't be lazy. It's also important to learn to use filters. That's one good thing about landscape photography -- it's more about your physical effort than your equipment, so it's a really fair playing field in photography.

Last edited by wuxiekeji on Sat Sep 14, 2013 8:58 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well on film (which would be full frame)I've had good results from the CZJ 28mm (the made in east Germany version), the Olympus 35mm should be very good but more limited in the angle of view, and the 50mm would be good for panos.
Hope that helps.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GeorgeSalt wrote:

Yeah, the standard and best ever answer to such question!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now with stitching software incorporated into camera even more so.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do a lot of landscapes, and a lot of stitching. I use everything from 28mm to 200mm, so the answer is, definitely, whatever you have with you. My preference is for 50mm lenses for stitching, as they have so little distortion, which makes things much easier when you come to stitch the images.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

H'mm seems to me with some of the answers that if you plan to take landscape shots. then grab any lens and that will do. Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excalibur wrote:
H'mm seems to me with some of the answers that if you plan to take landscape shots. then grab any lens and that will do. Rolling Eyes

Correct, if using digital.

I did this yesterday with an Industar-61 2.8/53 that cost me 4 quid attached to a working FED 4.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
Excalibur wrote:

Correct, if using digital.

I did this yesterday with an Industar-61 2.8/53 that cost me 4 quid attached to a working FED 4.

Very good, but is it classed as landscape, now show a landscape shot using a OPTOMAS f1,5 300mm from a rolling boat Smile
I was stuck with my Kiron 80-200mm lens (£4 with a sticky iris) at 1/500 sec but wouldn't call it "landscape" just a snap of a castle.

Reala film

Last edited by Excalibur on Sun Sep 15, 2013 3:59 pm; edited 3 times in total

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In theory, the less software applicate, the less image degradation.

On these line of thinking, the landscape (which there are a lot), will call for the correct lens, precise location, hour, light, shadows intensity, etc. All depends of the prevsualized image in your mind.[/i]

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have some lenses that are sharper at infinity than others.
Check yours, and see if that applies to yours as well.
Then I'd choose based on focal length and considering the possibility to stitch shots. It's incredible the amount of detail coming out from a >5 pics stitched panorama, even after resize.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 3:21 pm    Post subject: help with stiching photo's please Reply with quote

I have heard some say stitch photos together to produce a panoramic shot but how is it done and what free software is best .
Any help would be great.
Also just managed to get a OLYMPUS M.ZUIKO 28mm2.8 BRAND NEW never used with case Smile
My czj went up on the bay as I just could not get a sharp shot at all even with a fast shutter speed it was still kinda outta focus even set to infinity some are keepers and some well just don't seem to work at all why I just don't know .The lens looked mint but I just couldn't get it to perform the way it should Sad

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 3:54 pm    Post subject: Re: help with stiching photo's please Reply with quote

DAVEG wrote:
I have heard some say stitch photos together to produce a panoramic shot but how is it done and what free software is best .
Any help would be great.
Also just managed to get a OLYMPUS M.ZUIKO 28mm2.8 BRAND NEW never used with case Smile
My czj went up on the bay as I just could not get a sharp shot at all even with a fast shutter speed it was still kinda outta focus even set to infinity some are keepers and some well just don't seem to work at all why I just don't know .The lens looked mint but I just couldn't get it to perform the way it should Sad

There is a great thread IIRC by Tobias on how to do Panos. The 28mm Zuiko is up in the class of very good lenses..... congrats

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A word of caution around brand new or "mint" old lenses...if they're still in that condition, why?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="ManualFocus-G"]A word of caution around brand new or "mint" old lenses...if they're still in that condition, why?[/quote
The guy I boght it off was his fathers and recently passed away but looking at the phots it seems right , yeah I agree the CZJ I bought was "MINT CONDITION" But I could not get the thing to take a decent picture at any aperture even on a tripod so heck Knows wht was up with it .There was no signs of damage so I was at a loss .Put it up for sale cover the cost of the ZUIKO its fine.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I beleive my EPL1 has a stitching software built in so I will look into that . Smile

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 5:50 pm    Post subject: Re: help with stiching photo's please Reply with quote

DAVEG wrote:
Any help would be great.

Microsoft ICE is a free download, and it's very simple and effective.

This is a twelve image stitch done in ICE, the lens is a Takumar 55 / 2.8 but it could have been any of my 50mm ish lenses. The single images were shot at f3.5 so the DoF was tiny and focused on the nearest tall tree line. The main reason I'm showing this is, it was blowing a gale and everything in the final picture was swaying in the wind. It might look camera shake blurred but it isn't. It's basically a picture of the wind. The best thing is, the way ICE has stitched it. I fully expected a failure, but it isn't. ICE is almost certainly outdone by other software, but it's a great starting point.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 5:57 pm    Post subject: Re: help with stiching photo's please Reply with quote

Lloydy wrote:
DAVEG wrote:
Any help would be great.

This is a twelve image stitch done in ICE, the lens is a Takumar 55 / 2.8 but it could have been any of my 50mm ish lenses. The main reason I'm showing this is, it was blowing a gale and everything in the final picture was swaying in the wind. It might look camera shake

blurred but it isn't. It's basically a picture of the wind. The best thing is, the way ICE has stitched it. I fully expected a failure, but it isn't. ICE
is almost certainly outdone by other software, but it's a great starting point.

Agree , I also used Microsoft ICE works VG , it's free.
http://forum.mflenses.com/a-beginners-guide-to-panorama-stitching-t19182.html
http://forum.mflenses.com/a-beginners-guide-to-panorama-stitching-t19182.html

And two of my results with ICE :
http://forum.mflenses.com/stiched-ljubljana-rokkor-24mm-2-8-mc-t60231.html
http://forum.mflenses.com/predjama-castle-stitched-t60307.html

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 5:59 pm    Post subject: Re: help with stiching photo's please Reply with quote

Lloydy wrote:
DAVEG wrote:
Any help would be great.

This is a twelve image stitch done in ICE, the lens is a Takumar 55 / 2.8 but it could have been any of my 50mm ish lenses. The single images were shot at f3.5 so the DoF was tiny and focused on the nearest tall tree line. The main reason I'm showing this is, it was blowing a gale and everything in the final picture was swaying in the wind. It might look camera shake blurred but it isn't. It's basically a picture of the wind. The best thing is, the way ICE has stitched it. I fully expected a failure, but it isn't. ICE is almost certainly outdone by other software, but it's a great starting point.

Thanks I will give it a try Cool

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I looked closely at the full size original of this stitch and figured our where the joins had to be, this is a 100% crop from the original stitch - so the original images are still full size. This crop includes the corners of four of the twelve images, so somewhere there is a vertical join, close to center I think, and a horizontal join in the top third.
I think Microsoft ICE has done an excellent job of stitching, I can't see any trace of the joins at all. Maybe it is easier with a set of 'messy' images rather than a set with sharply defined lines?

Maybe here for the vertical ? I can't see any trace of horizontal and there has to be a join in this crop area.

There is some increased blur in this area, but at the bottom that could just be a badger trail.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its good enough for me I have a trip planned in february so want some pan of the beach where we we are staying I haven't had time to check my own camera for internal software yet .I will have a look later.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DAVEG wrote:
Any help would be great.

Some additional info
A Beginner's Guide to Panorama Stitching

My stitching technique