Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Dream Come True - Sigma 24mm Super-Wide II Macro (manual)
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh my goodness. Thank you marcusBMG for posting those comparison photos.

It really is quite a striking difference, isn't it, with the newer model lens clearly preferable.

I was especially impressed by the difference in the rendering of the flowers.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

guardian wrote:
Focusthrow wrote:

Can you kindly summarize the difference for us here? Best, jt

Sure

I went with the very helpful up-thread post most kindly provided me by DigiChromeEd.

Ed managed to ferret out a post by marcusBMG over on Pentax Forums. marcusBMG had owned both lenses. His post offers a fine comparison write up.

Here is a link to that page:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/userreviews/sigma-superwide-original-24mm-f28.html

I am all but certain the lenses compared there by marcusBMG are both MF lenses, the SuperWide II lens being the one which is the subject of this thread.

Did you read what the editors @ Pentax Forums wrote in the lens summary, at the top of the page?

Description:
This is the early version superwide, introduced in 1981 according to sigmauser.co.uk. Structurally different to the superwide II. Specifications are the same though, and they are at least optically similar if not identical. Typically P-KM mount, (also M42).
Some of these suffer a technical mount problem, as described in this thread. The aperture lever guard for some reason is misaligned with the aperture lever, see pic, the result is that the lens won't mount on some Pentax DSLR's because the guard bumps against the powerzoom/SDM autofocus contacts. The necessary solution is to remove, or at least prune down, the errant guard. This is easy to do - it's only plastic.

Read more at: https://www.pentaxforums.com/userreviews/sigma-superwide-original-24mm-f28.html#ixzz5k5RjjHEN
[/b]

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

e6filmuser wrote:
I must stop reading these topics. I have just purchased a copy of the lens so I must now sow some Sunflower seeds.

The lens arrived this morning. A nice-looking lens.

It's refreshing to see marks on the barrel to line up aperture settings against focus distance. This has potential for setting hyperfocal distance, although a 24mm is not the lens most needing it. Laugh 1

The aperture ring has some good stop and half-stop clicks. The focus is smooth and not too stiff.

I am busy on another project at the moment but I checked at closest focus. I always check at maximum aperture. It is supposed to do about 1:4 but I couldn't get better than about 1:4.5 on my A7R. At that focus and wide open it looks far from flat field, either the middle or the edges being sharp. It might be OK at smaller apertures.

Just taking a look at room interiors, it looks rectilinear.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

guardian wrote:
Oh my goodness. Thank you marcusBMG for posting those comparison photos.

It really is quite a striking difference, isn't it, with the newer model lens clearly preferable.

I was especially impressed by the difference in the rendering of the flowers.

Did you read what the Pentax Forums' editor(s) wrote about the early & later model? I posted it below. It suggests the 2 lenses are, at least, very similar, if not identical optically. Other threads throughout the Web suggest this assertion as well--some people believe the coatings were upgraded on the SuperII. Best jt

From Pentax Forums link in this thread:

Quote:
Description:
This is the early version superwide, introduced in 1981 according to sigmauser.co.uk. Structurally different to the superwide II. Specifications are the same though, and they are at least optically similar if not identical. Typically P-KM mount, (also M42).

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

marcusBMG wrote:
These are the comparison pics missing from my review on PF (due to bruv in law changing servers...). Superwide I top, superwide II bottom, both at f8. Pentax k-r.

If you are going to compare lenses, it's vital to eliminate as many variables as possible. For example, the white balances for the 2 lenses are not even close & the SuperwideII sample has a lot more light, which provides the illusion of more sharpness. Also, using f/8 is never a good way to compare lenses since, more than anything else, f/8 is the great equalizer when comparing different glass. That said, I doubt, with these 2 lenses, there is any real difference in performance. Best, jt

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

couple w this little gem--FX Nikon body--almost forgot, no sharpening.

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2020 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 Like 1 Like 1

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2020 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very commendable lens... Hagia Sophia, Constantinopolis.

[img][/url]DSC05329 by lumens pixel, sur Flickr[/img]

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have this lens, and unfortunately it is displaying some small fungus on the edges, try as i may i have been unable to remove the name plate, and clean this, atm if it was cleaned it would rescue the lens, but try as i may i cannot get this thing open.

Anybody know how to clean it.

I only paid £5 for my copy in CY but would love to clean her up

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eddieitman wrote:
I have this lens, and unfortunately it is displaying some small fungus on the edges, try as i may i have been unable to remove the name plate, and clean this, atm if it was cleaned it would rescue the lens, but try as i may i cannot get this thing open.

I Had that problem with a Sigma Mini-Wide (actually non-vignetting but same body and very similar to the 24mm).

Created more grip with medical tape and used a rubber wrench

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

D1N0 wrote:
eddieitman wrote:

I Had that problem with a Sigma Mini-Wide (actually non-vignetting but same body and very similar to the 24mm).

Created more grip with medical tape and used a rubber wrench

OK discovered that that is not the way to do it, and how it is done is remove the rubber ring, there is a service hole, spin the lens round to 0.4 you will see a ting grub screw release this and then the front will unscrew easily no tool needed

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 Congrats

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Super-Wide II has no such service hole

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

D1N0 wrote:
My Super-Wide II has no such service hole

When a rubber tool alone is not enough i use good quality double sided duct tape, usually i put bit less of it than in the picture above and a rubber tool of correct diameter. A warning though, there is a good chance the duct tape will remove the white paint from the letters on the ring, so use as a last resort. Of couse first make really sure there isn t a screw somewhere holding that ring in place. On some lenses these front name rings have glue to keep them in place, try to warm up the ring using a hair dryer, don t exgagerate, also few drops of WD40 or a similar penetrating oil left overnight can do miracles sometimes.

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I probably did overdo it a bit Wink three or four pieces should be enough. No problem with letters disappearing. The glue remains in the name ring so you have to clean it of afterwards (and of the front element if it gets in there).