Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Equipment photo - 2nd attempt - Pentax ME Super
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 6:19 pm    Post subject: Equipment photo - 2nd attempt - Pentax ME Super Reply with quote

Well,

My previous post "Equipment photo - 1st attempt - Pentax ME Super" was... maybe not completely disaster, but I was not happy about the results.
Now I took different approach:
- black background
- one speedlight with umbrella
- one reflector

I would like to hear your comments and hints/tips what should I change to improve this shoot.

Mateusz

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just noticed, that I should have took off this "Quality Passed" sticker Wink, but somehow I missed this Wink.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PhantomLord wrote:
I just noticed, that I should have took off this "Quality Passed" sticker Wink, but somehow I missed this Wink.

Some people pay extra for those! Wink

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep the sticker, it is expected on these cameras. But it is in a silly place. Perhaps carefully peel it off using a little paintbrush cleaner to dissolve the glue and stick it back on the back or the side of the prism with a little contact adhesive. Thats the normal place. Contact adhesive will keep it on but will not damage the finish of the camera. Scrape any glue off with a piece of stiff card, anything harder may scratch the camera.

I was confused by the tripod head at first, thinking it was part of the camera or a winder. It would look silly cloned out, perhaps the camera sat on a circular mirror would look good, particularly with a black background. The strap could come off too, it is distracting. But a nice photo none the less and working well against a black background.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, much better than first attempt.

You could also try painting with light. I have not tried it myself, but I have seen good results.

Here's a link, what kind of results one could achieve: http://haroldrossfineart.wordpress.com/2012/10/25/one-on-one-light-painting-workshop-with-wendy-belkin/

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you guys for replying.

philslizzy and visualopsins: well I don't care too much about stickers, so if I remove it from one place it would go straight to the trash and certainly not on camera Smile, however I like the idea of putting reflective surface beneath the object and removing the strap - those are things that I've missed and have to do better.

Gurdie: I must admit I don't see painting with light on such occasion, I know people do marvelous stuff with this technique, but it's more for those 'creative' shots than for products in my opinion, but thank you for your opinion.

Mateusz

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are very nice work, especially the catch lights in the lens. It may be worth reducing the light a bit to help remove more detail from the background.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Thinking here about this umbrella... I find the light rendered by this light modifier too harsh. Probably you can get rid off it placing a tiny diffuser in front or - better - using a softbox to "spread" light around the camera.

Renato

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you David and Renato,

Maybe turning down the light would not be good at this instance, because I wanted whole camera more or less equally lit, but for sure I should have keep longer distance between the background and the subject to kill light from the flash from the background.

As for umbrella Renato, well it's my only modifier and I don't have money to buy softbox right now, but as I look closer at photos with your remark in my head I saw what you're talking about. I completely agree, that softer light would turn out better, I'll try to soften the light coming from flash a little with some diffuser (before it hits an umbrella) or maybe to use some piece of white fabric instead of umbrella.

Once again, thank you all you guys, those are type of comments of constructive critique I was wishing to receive Smile. I'll try to re-shoot the scene I report it back to you.

Mateusz

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably a bit of dust removing on the camera might improve the whole thing, too Wink

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, try dark velvet as background, little mirors to focus light on certain parts of the object, tracing paper to diffuse light.

Tips from Philippe PcCordall here :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SuGi0KAfc9c