Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Cosina 19-35 3.5-4.5 MF
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 6:56 pm    Post subject: Cosina 19-35 3.5-4.5 MF Reply with quote

Does anyone have a Cosina 19-35mm, the older manual focus, full-frame version?

I'm considering one as the answer to my (low budget) requirement for a wide-angle lens on digital, and maybe some alternative viewpoints on film. I know it's not as good as a decent 17mm that many have on here, but how good/bad are they?

Thanks for any info Cool

Graham

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have yet to find one on Ebay that I don't get outbid on. Good luck getting one for a reasonable price.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the AF version which I assumed was the same as the MF version. I also had a 19mm Cosina prime which had the same performance. They are both sharp on my 5Dii, except for the extreme corners, and I do mean the last few pixels. They do tend to flare easily and have a slight red cast. When the flare isn't a problem, they had good contrast too. I would say they are better than the Tamron 17mm Adaptall lens except when pointed into the sun; the Tamron is nowhere near as sharp.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good info, thanks chaps Wink

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a copy recently, is this the one you are referring to?

haven't shot much with it yet...

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had this lens in AF version (same optics though). It's good and sharp, with rather noticeable geometric distortion and CA (nothing articularly bad though). Flare was a bit of a problem though, but it's a cheap lens and it's got to have its share of imperfections.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This lens is sharp over all the (apsc) frame, it has a very useful focal range both for ff and for apsc (which is something quite rare) and it's cheap.
Distortion is evident, but on par with many wide zooms.
I think it's really a useful lens, especially at the wide end, where you'd need a much more expensive lens to outperform this.
I sold it because after buying a flektogon 20 it wasn't getting much use, but I warmly recommend it to those who look for a cheap wide.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I keep seeing this and wondering if its worth having. They go for too much just to buy on spec.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On APSC they will be sharp. I use on fullframe and film and the corners are not really noticeable. It's one of my favourite lenses. It has a couple of flaws but so what. I can work around them.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had one, sold it after a week, on my EOS 450D corners were soft even at f8. Right side was worse than left so probably decentred, very susceptible to veiling flare too. The Tokina 20-35 is much better but also much harder to find, I think people keep hold of them.