Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Old Zeiss and Kodak lenses
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:11 pm    Post subject: Old Zeiss and Kodak lenses Reply with quote

I am clearing my attic and found a silly amount of my old equip. Some was from my father in law. I found mounted on boards. One is a Kodak Supermatic #2, F4.7 127MM. The other is a Zeiss Ikon Anistigmat Cronos B. f6.8 7 1/2 In. Is there a market for these? I have no idea how much these may be worth and if they are something that would be sought after. Both are mounted on Burke & James boards. If anyone can shed any light on these for me, it would be greatly appreciated. Both are in great shape and shutters work like the day they were made.
Thank in advance for any info and help!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are probably 1930s lenses for 4x5 Burke & James press camera. Supermatic #2 is the shutter name, the lens will be a 5 inch (127mm) Anastigmat, a 4 element in 3 group Tessar type. Cronos is also a shutter name, it is probably an older item, perhaps from the 1920s.

There is a market for them, but it depends on the condition of both the lens and the shutter. Neither is a very valuable item but they do have some value.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank for the very quick reply. I am actually amazed at what good condition they are in. Would you have any idea what they may be worth?
Hopefully the pic comes through

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have also had very little luck finding any info online for these. Do you know of any good resources. I am having a blast going through this very large and old collection of lenses, timers and cameras. I also found an Exa with a 135MM lens my father in law probably bought in Germany while in the Navy in WWII

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's an interesting lens, it's not made by Carl Zeiss, but something that Zeiss Ikon bought in from an outside supplier. What design a 'Special Anastigmat' is, I don't know. It would have been fitted to one of their large format cameras as the cheaper alternative to a Carl Zeiss Tessar.

Value is difficult to determine with these old items.

Is that the 135mm I can see in the background on the left? Looks like a Steinheil, that is a nice lens, those are worth a nice sum if in good condition.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Kodak Anastigmat 127mm lens on Kodak Supermatic, working, could get $30-60 on US ebay.
Not a very valuable lens but actually likely to be a nice user. The Supermatic is a great shutter.
Very common.

Your Zeiss-Cronos is probably a 1920's leftover from the great Zeiss Ikon merger. Cronos shutters were made by Ernemann, which was merged into Zeiss Ikon. So your shutter is a quite interesting leftover of when all the bits of Zeiss were merging their product lines. Zeiss dropped the Cronos shutters, and I don't blame them because in my experience they are awful. Gauthier and Deckel became the shutter suppliers to Zeiss-Ikon. Your lens is either a triplet or a doppelanastigmat I would think, as these types were most often seen in such generic markings.

In spite of the interesting nature of the Zeiss-Cronos shutter, I don't think its valuable. At a guess you may get $20-30 for it on US ebay.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank for the info. Some interesting history here. I really appreciate the input on these. I have no use for them. Hopefully somebody is looking for something like this to complete their system.