Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Three soft Uno portraits in bad light
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 5:20 pm    Post subject: Three soft Uno portraits in bad light Reply with quote

Here are three of my first portrait test shots with the bokeh adjusted Uno 7.7/5". The last one is slightly front focused on purpose. The light was very bad, and I had to use rather too slow shutter speeds. However, it doesn't matter too much in the context of this type of soft portraits.

Veijo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice... I think number two works really well with the subject looking away...

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really love those colours: the pictures look like middle age paintings... A lens with personality.

Jes.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A note about the adjustment I made:

This isn't an original idea. Taylor, Taylor & Hobson soft focus portrait lenses like e.g. Series IIb f/4.5 Portrellic had a softness control which moved the front group forward from the rear cell, 6.8mm max in a 10.5" lens, which relatively is about the same adjustment I made in the Uno. Series II was manufactured and sold in various forms for more than three decades and was a favorite especially in Hollywood. The old TTH LF portrait lenses still fetch good prices on eBay.

As I have many enough sharp lenses, I'll probably fix the Uno into this soft position and use it for the distinct signature or "personality", both for portraits and for landscapes. The 4/135 Triotar can be similarly modified - but only at the expense of losing infinity focus.

Veijo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A nice set - I particularly like no.2