Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

testing my lenses - part 63 - Kiron 28mm/2
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 4:22 pm    Post subject: testing my lenses - part 63 - Kiron 28mm/2 Reply with quote

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this one is for Atilla

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice results!

WolverineX wrote:
this one is for Atilla

May be, but I like the dog too!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

new samples using E-M5

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a wonderful lens.
Your second series is splendid.
Thanks for sharing these
OH

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got this lens for $3 at a yard sale because the aperture is stuck wide open @ F2...which is just fine as that's where I intend to use it...as your night pix show it would be fun to use...

....and as an added thought...I think others would like a photo of the lens itself when reviewing it, don't you think?

...is this it?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very common problem with Kirons, the grease they used in the helicoids turns to oily liquid over time and gums up the aperture blades. You really should clean them with lighter fluid to get it working again because it's not very good at f2, needs to be closed a stop, preferably two to give it's best.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
Very common problem with Kirons, the grease they used in the helicoids turns to oily liquid over time and gums up the aperture blades. You really should clean them with lighter fluid to get it working again because it's not very good at f2, needs to be closed a stop, preferably two to give it's best.

Well, if I have to go to 2.8 or 4, I'd go with the Oly 24/2.8....which I do....

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice captures! Inspires me to try some night shots with my Komine made 28/2.
The oof blur is actually interesting as well cause both my Kiron made 24/2 and Komine made 28/2 tends to produce a radiation-like bokeh instead of the smoother bokeh like yours. I always thought the Kiron 28/2 would have similar characteristics at least to the Kiron 24/2. Hmm interesting.

Yeah I heard it's a common problem for Kiron made 24/2s and 28/2s. I have a Kiron made 24/2 in which the aperture got stuck due to oily blades. Got it repaired and is now in good shape Smile. I wonder if this problem occurs in other Kiron made lenses as well such as the famous 105/2.5 1:1 macro? Or the series 1 70-210/3.5?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quite an easy fix but can be a bit tedious.
May require multiple applications of lighter fluid and a lot of exercise of the aperture.
Its not perfect at f/2, but more than adequate if you really need an f/2 28mm.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quite an easy fix but can be a bit tedious.
May require multiple applications of lighter fluid and a lot of exercise of the aperture.
Its not perfect at f/2, but more than adequate if you really need an f/2 28mm.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mfkita wrote:

....and as an added thought...I think others would like a photo of the lens itself when reviewing it, don't you think?

...is this it?

i'd have to see it from the side to see if it's the same design, but since vivitar in that photo has 22 serial it should be the same lens.

as for photo of the lens itself in the review, i thought about adding that to the threads recently, and i probably will add photos of the lenses, just have to photograph them all first

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If WolverineX doesn't mind, I'll post a picture of my Kiron 28/2.
I will likely be similar to his:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a lot of bang for your bucks! Performance seems to be pretty good at f/2. I remember reading a lens test in a magazine, the kiron 28mm had very good performance. Best 28mm i ever had was a Nikkor 28/2.8 Ai-s, if you don't really need the extra speed, this is really as good as it gets. If you're lucky you might find one cheap.