Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

What lenses will hit Canon Full frame sensor?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 10:44 am    Post subject: What lenses will hit Canon Full frame sensor? Reply with quote

I'm about to get a Canon 6d which is a lot of money to me. I mostly use Nikkor, Contax, and m43 lenses. Does anyone know if these lenses will hit the sensor? I thought I heard somewhere that some Contax lens will hit the sensor.

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We made an excel sheet a post here long time ago which lens hit 5D and Canon 5D II, I don't remember for any posts about 6D.

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With regards Contax, the Distagon 18/4 hit the sensor of my 5D, so would likely do the same on the 6D.

I have run my 6D quite happily with the 25/2.8, 28/2.8, 35/2.8, 35-70/3.4, 50/1.4, 85/1.4, 85/2.8, 100/2.8 Makro-Planar, 135/2.8, 70-210/3.5, 80-200/4 and 100-300/4.5-5.6. It's avisable to get a decent quality adapter though.

I've also used the Nikkor ais 24/2.8 with no probs, the 55/1.2 is also fine. The 20/4 is a problem though and the rear plastic fin needs to be removed to make it work.

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ManualFocus-G wrote:
With regards Contax, the Distagon 18/4 hit the sensor of my 5D, so would likely do the same on the 6D.

I have run my 6D quite happily with the 25/2.8, 28/2.8, 35/2.8, 35-70/3.4, 50/1.4, 85/1.4, 85/2.8, 100/2.8 Makro-Planar, 135/2.8, 70-210/3.5, 80-200/4 and 100-300/4.5-5.6. It's avisable to get a decent quality adapter though.

I've also used the Nikkor ais 24/2.8 with no probs, the 55/1.2 is also fine. The 20/4 is a problem though and the rear plastic fin needs to be removed to make it work.

Which adapter would you recommend? thank you for the comprehensive list.

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ManualFocus-G wrote:
With regards Contax, the Distagon 18/4 hit the sensor of my 5D

Hit the sensor?! Or the mirror?

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hitting the sensor is an interesting concept! That would be an extremely short focal length lens.

Regarding hitting mirrors, the CZJ Flektogon 35mm f2.4 is quite popular at the moment, but it does protrude behind a little at infinity focus, so apparently in some cameras is limited to liveview/mirror lockup use.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No lens should hit the sensor, the shutter or mirror will be another story all together.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha, I meant mirror not sensor! Laughing

The problem with adapters is that the suppliers seem to change them regularly, so it's difficult to get the same adapter twice! That said, all the adapters I've had like the one below (and from that seller) have been fine (last one I purchased was a year ago though):

Click here to see on Ebay

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ManualFocus-G wrote:
With regards Contax, the Distagon 18/4 hit the sensor of my 5D, so would likely do the same on the 6D..

Was yours MM or AE version that had mirror strike? Did it strike the mount or rear element?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I mainly use Nikon mount lenses on my 5D classic.

I use a Nikon e 50/1.8 a AI nikkor 85/2 and a nikon mount tokina wide-auto 35/2.8 with no problems.

I have a Leinox nikon to EOS adapter with af confirm chip that I found cheap in a thrift store and it works very well with these lenses.

But I also have a Nikkor-H 50/2 which has overhanging aperture ring, and it can not mount on the leinox adapter, and when I force fit it the aperture ring will not turn. Fortunately my Leinox adapter also came with a second, non-chipped adapter in the box, no brand name on it, but works well with the Nikkor-H.

Unless you are going to invest in a proper focusing screen I recommend a chipped adapter. I find it impossible to focus reliably with the canon stock screen (I had no problems with the stock screen on my old Pentax ist ds)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ultron wrote:
Unless you are going to invest in a proper focusing screen I recommend a chipped adapter. I find it impossible to focus reliably with the canon stock screen (I had no problems with the stock screen on my old Pentax ist ds)

I just use live view most of the time. I have split-screen but I still find live view more reliable because you're seeing what the sensor is actually seeing. It's hard to nail focus even with a screen for f/1.4 but I consistently nail it every time using the LCD. It also makes the shooting much quieter and less likely to attract attention when you're trying to do candid stuff Smile Plus I like to shoot at odd angles (from above using monopod as a pole, near the ground, and it's not possible to use the viewfinder for those shots).

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm using a NEX-7 for manual focusing, it's great for this purpose, I'm getting far more accurate shots when I have the time to focus then take the shot, then I've ever had with my 1DIII.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wuxiekeji wrote:
ManualFocus-G wrote:
With regards Contax, the Distagon 18/4 hit the sensor of my 5D, so would likely do the same on the 6D..

Was yours MM or AE version that had mirror strike? Did it strike the mount or rear element?

It was AE and it wouldn't work with any of my high quality adapters. Not sure which bit hit the mirror, I couldn't see.