Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Helios 44-2 and 44-3, Any difference?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:46 am    Post subject: Helios 44-2 and 44-3, Any difference? Reply with quote

OK CZJ Biotar fans, is there any difference between the two models of the Helios listed - the 44-2 and the 44-3.
I know that there is a 44-6 which is MC but are there 44-4 and 44-5 models?
I guess it boils down to which is the best Helios 44.
Your thoughts, as always are appreciated.
OH

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Optically the are basically the same with different bodies.
The biggest difference is the coatings. I think the multicoated ones have better color reproduction.
I found my helios 44-3 more neutral than the 44, 44M and 44-2 which have a slightly warmish/greenish tone.

But the helios 44-3 can be tricky to adapt because some of them have a deeper mount compared with focusing ring as shown in this image:

Check this topic for more information:
http://forum.mflenses.com/complete-list-of-helios-lenses-getting-closer-t26100.html

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have always been confused about the different variations of the Helios 44. Which one has the most swirl out of them I wonder?
I have the 44M only, whats the difference between the 44M and the classic 44-2?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bruzzo wrote:
I have always been confused about the different variations of the Helios 44. Which one has the most swirl out of them I wonder?

I believe the 44M is multicoated while 44-2 is single coated.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought the 3 is MC and has the number of aperture blades of one and two.
Please look it up, but I think nr 3 should be the best on paper.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone - and to flaviomaia for the link.
Some reading ahead
OH

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The helios with the recess on the back, like the pictures above, has problems when mounted on some cameras and adapters - I know it's a problem on Pentax and people machine the back of the focus ring down.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

drjs wrote:
bruzzo wrote:

I believe the 44M is multicoated while 44-2 is single coated.

Actually the difference between 44M and 44-2 is that 44M has a newer body with a switch for Automatic diaphragm or Manual, and the 44-2 has an older body style with a preset aperture mechanism.
Both have 8 blade diaphragm and both can be single coated, since the MC version of the 44m is quite rare and the 44-2 is single coated only.

I have both (made by KMZ) and they perform very similar, with the 44M being more prone to flare because of the less recessed front element.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldhand wrote:
Some reading ahead
OH

Which version you chose, I believe you'll get a good lens. I have 4 versions of the helios 44 and I like them all, but have in mind they are old designs. The corners only become sharp at F4 and onwards, whereas the center is good wide open! Smile

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

flaviomaia wrote:
Oldhand wrote:
Some reading ahead
OH

Which version you chose, I believe you'll get a good lens. I have 4 versions of the helios 44 and I like them all, but have in mind they are old designs. The corners only become sharp at F4 and onwards, whereas the center is good wide open! Smile

Thanks for your input Flavio.
Would use on an APS-C camera miss most of the edge problems anyway.
OH