Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

One lens to rule them all
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 4:02 pm    Post subject: One lens to rule them all Reply with quote

I started a search but came up with over 5000 hreads so I'm narrowing this thing down.

What would be your one lens for life? You only get one choice, no ifs or buts, one lens.
This is in light of the passions ignited by the Summilux 75 thread and so, if it has been done before, (more than likely I bet) then please ignore this and I'll take it down after a couple of days.

Mine's going to be the CV Nokton 50mm f1.5 because it's just a good, decent lens in either APS-C or FF.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At the risk of seeming impossibly low brow or inexperienced, my go to lens recently has been the Vivitar Series 1 28-90, 2.8-3.8 (Komine). I cannot afford expensive lenses and have no experience with Leicas or equivalent. I love the versatility - if I'm traveling light and can only take one lens, this is likely to be it. I use it on a cropped sensor Fuji XE-1 and it covers the range of what I typically like to photograph. Nice colors, especially reds, capable of macro work, great build quality. Aside from some modest barrel distortion, I don't really have any complaints. I recently took it on a trip to a location with 0 degree Fahrenheit temperatures and it functioned perfectly.

I'm sure there are better choices but this is my budget choice. Wink

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The lens installed in our eye. Single element but works well after software correction. Wink

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol, weirdly enough I'm busy sitting here watching the first lord of the rings;) speaking from not too much experience of the upper end lenses, the first lens I ever got is still my best.

its not a MF lens sadly but it has stopped me from moving away from MFT, the Panasonic 20mm 1.7!!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

calvin83 wrote:
The lens installed in our eye. Single element but works well after software correction. Wink

Sorry, doesn't count , anyway, most carry two and you're only allowed one! I'm sure you'll agree? Wink indeed.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Magic drainpipe (Canon EF 80-200mm f/2.8 L)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cyrano wrote:
calvin83 wrote:

Sorry, doesn't count , anyway, most carry two and you're only allowed one! I'm sure you'll agree? Wink indeed.

You never mentioned it is not allowed to carry more than one copy. Wink

My votes goes to the Kern-Macro-Switar 50/1.9 AR. Not because it is optically excellent but also it is a piece of fine craftsmanship.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 4:41 pm    Post subject: Re: One lens to rule them all Reply with quote

cyrano wrote:

What would be your one lens for life? You only get one choice, no ifs or buts, one lens.

Answer: The lens of the Panasonic FZ1000.

The lens is a 25-400mm eq. macro-zoom lens; and it comes with a free camera body with a very interesting sensor! With that lens you have a complete photographic system with macro photography capabilities, plus flash and 4k video.

The FZ1000 is so exciting that it changed the life of a photographer with 60 years of experience with SLR and digital cameras with interchangeable optics:
http://cameraergonomics.blogspot.com.au/2014/11/sculpture-by-sea-i-have-been-using.html

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One lens only? I like the full frame format so I would choose a 50mm lens. Since only one lens is allowed I would choose a lens that does macro or at least closeup photography in addition to working great as a normal lens. A lens that can be used with cameras of the future as well as cameras of the past. Electronics get old but optics last.

I think I would choose the Olympus Zuiko OM 50/2 Macro

Last edited by Pontus on Sun Jan 11, 2015 7:02 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Almost impossible to say.

Probably the "old workhorse" Nikkor 24-120 on my Nikon Df. But I would often miss the "speed" of an f/1.4 lens.
So with the 24-120 and a 1.4/50 I could perhaps live. (What a terrible thought! Wink)

My "lens to rule them all" would be a 2.0/24-100. But such a lens does not exist and if it existed, it would be way too big and heavy.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ratio says an excellend zoom e.g.Fuji x 18-55mm or for mfT a 7-14mm Pana.

Emotions says clearly Micro Nikkor 2,8/55mm.

But Jee, Your question is not fair, only one lens, who in the world could imagine this???

Rolling Eyes
Thomas

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

duckrider wrote:
Ratio says an excellend zoom e.g.Fuji x 18-55mm or for mfT a 7-14mm Pana.

Emotions says clearly Micro Nikkor 2,8/55mm.

But Jee, Your question is not fair, only one lens, who in the world could imagine this???

Rolling Eyes
Thomas

Life is hard Thomas Twisted Evil One, just one.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, for me probably the Samyang 85/1.4 - of my lenses, it's the one I enjoy shooting with most despite the razor thing DOF being utterly merciless! The results when you properly nail it are stunning too (though I might be a little biased after getting a photo onto the BBC national weather forecast with mine!)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a yearning for all photographers I think.
However I will agree with Calvin that the one that we carry in our eye is the one to rule them all.
When I am taking images, I almost always only take one lens with me.
Yesterday it was the Super-Takumar 1.4/50, but it could have been something different.
This is not a universal lens, but is very good nonetheless.
What makes it, and any other lens work, is the way it is used, and the thought that goes into each shot.
I use my legs, change position and point of view, read the light and manage my backgrounds.
If, however I could only take one lens, it would be a nifty fifty - either Takumar or Mamiya.
OH

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a game. You can choose any lens out there. You don't have to own it. Not that there is anything wrong with choosing the Samyang, especially if you are attached to it after getting a picture published.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking that of all the choices, a 50 or perhaps 35 would garner the most votes. It's good to see an 85 in the mix, I'm expecting a 135 to rear its elegant head though early days yet. Zooms? Bit of a cop out I feel, while strictly speaking they are a single unit it could be said that they are multiple units in one shell,hmmmmmm. it has to be one lens and one lens only.The choice is yours be what it will. Have a think, what could you do if you didn't even have a choice? If your solo lens was dictated to you, say a 150 or a 15, you'd have to adapt. It may well spellthe end of your hobby or it may open a door,the only door available.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regardless of what I may have read about a lens, if I haven't used it I couldn't say I would want it to be my keeper. So, limited to the lenses I have used, if forced to pick a single lens it would be the CZJ Flektogon 35mm f2.8.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can only consider lenses I have used, on that basis I'd have the Vivitar Series 1 135/2.3 because it's just wonderful.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And there goes that 135mm Smile
Yes, only lenses you have used, wish lists are something else.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm switching from the OM 50/2 Macro to OM 35-80/2.8

This is a lens that rivals the Zeiss 35-70/3.4 plus it works great as a portrait lens at 80mm with wonderful bokeh wide open. Should also work nicely as a macro with a set of extension tubes.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pontus wrote:
This is a game. You can choose any lens out there. You don't have to own it.

Ah! OK! In that case it would be the new Nikon AF-S 24-120mm 1:4G ED VR, because it's a tad faster than the old one at the tele end and f/4 at 120mm is already pretty nice. Plus, it has got a stabilizer. Probably the most "universal" lens for a "fullframe" cam.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cyrano wrote:
And there goes that 135mm Smile
Yes, only lenses you have used, wish lists are something else.

Sorry, I was mistaken. See the above post by the OP. But a Nice choice that Nikon Smile

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No doubt about it: Meyer-Optik Görlitz Domiplan 2.8/50mm rules them all.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pancolart wrote:
No doubt about it: Meyer-Optik Görlitz Domiplan 2.8/50mm rules them all.

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I choose the 90mm f/3.5 EBC Fujinon from Fujica GW690.
On medium format it is a nice wide to normal lens, on 35mm a portrait/shy tele -lens, and on cropped sensors a tele.