Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Jupiter-3 50/1.5 all-makes
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:14 am    Post subject: Jupiter-3 50/1.5 all-makes Reply with quote

A very early 1950 KMZ Jupiter-3 5cm F1.5, on the M Monochrom. This lens required the rear group to be moved out, and the optics module to be remounted in a new focus mount. Well worth the effort, this lens is sharper than my Nikkor 5cm F1.4.

Wide-Open, at close-focus of 0.8m. The focus mount is modified.

mid-range, also F1.5.

I've assembled 4 generations of J-3, German glass KMZ, Russian Glass 1956 KMZ, 1963 ZOMZ, and 1984 Valdai. Will post some shots with each, taken on the Leica's.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Second photo is nice! Is it L39 or Kiev mount version? Also is it J-3 or Zorkiy (german glass)?
KMZ made J-3 from 1951 to 1956 for Kiev and Zorki.

EDIT : Ok, I just read the other topik, no need to answer Very Happy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice ones Brian, especially seeing your daughter grown up so much!
You got a Monochrom?? Congrats!!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:
Nice ones Brian, especially seeing your daughter grown up so much!
You got a Monochrom?? Congrats!!

Thankyou, Klaus. I tell people that the M Monochrom is only the second Monochrome Digital Camera that I've bought in 20 years... The Kodak DCS200ir being the first. 20 years ago I called Kodak to make that one. 3.5yrs ago, I called the same Division at Kodak to ask about a Monochrome M9. One engineer remembered me from the first time I called. I paid for the M9 and M Monochrom by selling gear, mostly manual focus lenses for Leica, and ones that I custom converted to Leica.

This is with a 1956 KMZ J-3, wide-open. Probably one of the last made by KMZ, before handing over production to ZOMZ. I also have a 1956 ZOMZ J-3, in Contax/Kiev mount. The KMZ is better, it took a year or two for ZOMZ to get it right.

Also at F1.5,

and at F4.

Manassas Battlefield, statue of Stonewall Jackson. When Jackson stood like a "Stonewall", he was in between two lines of artillary.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW, quite a story "have them make one for me" - impressive, to say the least!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! M9 and M Monochrom! Congratulations! Fantastic gear!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MMtS

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:
WOW, quite a story "have them make one for me" - impressive, to say the least!

It was funny- by 1992, I had over 10 years of experience with working with Digital IR sensors in the Research Lab. I wrote the data acquisition, image processing, and image display code. All FORTRAN and Assembly. The Kodak DCS200ir was the first "Store Bought" digital camera. $12,400 for the body alone- 1.6MPixels. The Kodak engineer laughed that I wanted them to undo years of work to make digital look more like film.

The M9 and M Monochrom- I even told my wife how much they cost! I paid for them by selling gear, mostly lenses. Manual Focus lenses: Better than the stock market.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1963 ZOMZ Jupiter-3, wide-open on the M9.

and at F4:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1984 Valdai, wide-open and close-up, on the Leica M9. This lens required a major rebuild, including resetting the helical in the mount.

The rebuild is here:

http://www.leicaplace.com/f13/valdai-1984-black-jupiter-3-adaptation-test-199/

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A double post followed by a triple post, you're on a roll. Laughing

I was wondering about the shimming of the elements, what signs do you see that tells you a lens needs it, and what do you use for shims?
The reason I ask is that I have a Topcor RE 28/2.8 that is just not sharp at infinity, at closer distances its better, but no where where I'd expect a Topcor to perform.

Thanks for posting about the J3's Brian, a KMZ is on my list to get.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lightshow wrote:
A double post followed by a triple post, you're on a roll. Laughing

I was wondering about the shimming of the elements, what signs do you see that tells you a lens needs it, and what do you use for shims?
The reason I ask is that I have a Topcor RE 28/2.8 that is just not sharp at infinity, at closer distances its better, but no where where I'd expect a Topcor to perform.

Thanks for posting about the J3's Brian, a KMZ is on my list to get.

The site was really slow last night, got a perpetual "waiting". I do not see a Delete function for the post, so I edited them.

Making shims- wide ones, 1mm+, I use an old tubular tripod and a pipe cutter, polish down to the correct thickness. Thin- use kitchen aluminum foil, copper tape, vacuum seal from coffee cans.

The KMZ: The lens could not be calibrated to the rangefinder across range. This means the focal length was wrong. Also- the field curvature was insane. I moved the rear triplet out until I could do a two-point calibration, 1M and infinity.

Documented here:

http://aperturepriority.co.nz/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/Jupiter-3-Focal-Length-Adjustment.pdf

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, a J3 collector, Have you compared J3 to Leica glass?
I use J3 on NEX, its lovely combo. But M9+J3 is Rock!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of my Leica lenses are older, classic 1930s through 1950s. The Leica lenses are lower-contrast, better corrected. The Jupiters are classic Zeiss designs: speed and contrast, who cares about flatness of field in a 3D world...

http://www.the.me/unique-blend-of-compactness-super-speed-and-perfect-imperfections-1930s-sonnar-lenses-on-the-leica-m9-and-m-monochrom/

I've compared the J-3 against the wartime Zeiss 5cm F1.5 and Nikkor 5cm F1.4. A good Jupiter-3 holds it's own. Same with the J-8, compares well with the Nikkor 5cm F2 and Zeiss 5cm F2. I will be writing a similar article for the Jupiters, similar to the one about the Zeiss lenses.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not too worried about RF accuracy since I'm using a NEX-7.
So shimming out the rear triplet only effects the focal length? I really should try some experiments one of these days on a cheap lens, like my Industar 61.
And thanks for the tips on shimming.

Have you tried a Helios 103? I find mine to be very sharp, and a nice rendering, the biggest downsides are that it's not the most robust build quality, and its only available in Contax Rf.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lightshow wrote:
I'm not too worried about RF accuracy since I'm using a NEX-7.
So shimming out the rear triplet only effects the focal length? I really should try some experiments one of these days on a cheap lens, like my Industar 61.
And thanks for the tips on shimming.

Have you tried a Helios 103? I find mine to be very sharp, and a nice rendering, the biggest downsides are that it's not the most robust build quality, and its only available in Contax Rf.

Helios-103, very good classic Planar. I have one shimmed for a Nikon S-Mount, one for Contax. I need to put up a comparison on using a Black Marker on the aperture blades. I made One into an RF coupled leica mount for a friend.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://nikoneers.yuku.com/topic/394/Helios103-Modified-for-the-Nikon?page=1

I found the old thread with the Helios and Menopta examples, modified for the Nikon S-Mount. Also posted are some example shots taken before and after painting the aperture blades to reduce flare.