Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Ammonia + Peroxide = HOW?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:38 pm    Post subject: Ammonia + Peroxide = HOW? Reply with quote

I have a cloudy Elmar. It produces some good images but I am sure the cloud or fog inside is reducing the contrast a little bit. I want to clean off this fog without even opening it.

Is there any solution? I have been reading about Ammonia and Peroxide solution. But I don't understand how to make this solution and use it for the cleaning process. Do I have to immerse the whole lens in the solution? Please help.

Also how do I get peroxide? Home depot? I am aware that Ammonia is the Windex that I use for cleaning my car's glass. How do I get peroxide. Any clue?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hydrogen peroxide should be available from a pharmacist, try ebay.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

See the foggy part?

I don't know how to clean that without dismantling the lens. Or there's no way!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

no way! Mix is dangerous to you and lens both , it's kill fungus well , but also makes boiling mixture when fresh. Lens is cheap Leica, low contrast lens with little respect. Cleaning not helps.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

philslizzy wrote:
Hydrogen peroxide should be available from a pharmacist, try ebay.

Yes. Agreed.

Here in USA also called sometimes "drugstore" . . . . . or "pharmacy".

(hydrogen) Peroxide is sold "over the counter" routinely. It is not a prescription item so you will not need to speak with a pharmacist in person. It's somewhere in the aisles of your CVS, or Rite-Aid, or Walgreens, or whatever drugstores you have in Florida. Hydrogen peroxide is a powerful germicide, bleach, you name it. And as Attila says, used improperly it can yield up unwanted outcomes. Be really careful.

One final thing: hydrogen peroxide deteriorates, it break down, pretty readily. Keep it away from heat and sun. Store it in a cool, dark place for longest life.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The lens must be dismantled to clean glass surfaces inside. Wink

Tip: use the mildest cleaning solution that works. Wink Try the mildest, say distilled water. If that doesn't work, try ethanol. If that doesn't work try naptha. Then cold cream. Tiny drop of acetone on an earbud. I.e. progressive increase in cleaning power rather than full blast, which may do some damage.