Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Prototype Sonnar with aperture of 2 decimal points
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 2:40 am    Post subject: Prototype Sonnar with aperture of 2 decimal points Reply with quote

This is the first time I have seen a lens, apart from the 50mm 0.95, with an aperture marking of 2 decimal points, have a look:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rare-Carl-Zeiss-Jena-V1923-Nr-3-85mm-f-1-75-SONNAR-prototype-lens-/251314602619?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a8384827b

From the serial number of the lens, probably only a few were made, the interesting point is, why provide 2 decimal points for the aperture while the focal length marking is kind of standardized? It is easy to understand the 50mm f.95, as the aperture is larger than 1, a small decrease in the decimal can mean a big increase in dimensions. Anyone have seen other examples of 2 decimal point aperture?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have answered your own question...

It has a "V..." serial number which in German stands for "Versuchsobjektiv" or "test lens" so it is a development sample.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Other fast lenses like f/0.85, f/0.75.. have the same as you have realized.

But some few companies even give two digits after decimal point. For example for telecentric or macro lenses.
Probably this is a result from calculating the f/stop from numerical aperture values there.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yahvel wrote:
wow, that lens sold for over $4,000.

That is rather epic!!! Shocked

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

edited

Last edited by bernhardas on Thu Apr 28, 2016 1:49 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bernhardas wrote:
I put some bids in but all lenses from this collection go waaaay over my budget.

If you could put up the links for the other lenses I would appreciate it, would like to see some other prototype lenses!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Layer-cake wrote:
bernhardas wrote:
I put some bids in but all lenses from this collection go waaaay over my budget.

If you could put up the links for the other lenses I would appreciate it, would like to see some other prototype lenses!

Click to view sellers other items, then select Completed listings (you'll need to be logged into Ebay to do this)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GeorgeSalt wrote:
Layer-cake wrote:
bernhardas wrote:

Click to view sellers other items, then select Completed listings (you'll need to be logged into Ebay to do this)

I see, I shall have to create an account then Embarassed