Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Konica AR 100mm & 35mm f2
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 2:09 pm    Post subject: Konica AR 100mm & 35mm f2 Reply with quote

Bought them for a low price(including a autoflex A) but when they arrived yesterday night I found fungus in the 100mm lens, luckily the 35mm was completely clean (the reason I bought the lot). After removing the back elements I was able to clean the fungus without any damage (from the fungus). The lenses need to be cleaned externally (smell of tabaco and discolouration), but look great already. Can't wait to use them on the A7!!! Well my nex 7 has to do, for now Razz anybody know a easy way of cleaning lenses externally without removing the paint?

Some other random konica's for the konica fans out there: you know who you are Razz

Some 50's I love.

Some 50,s 1.7's the one in the background is de half stop click version Smile

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never tried the 35mm F2 but heard good things about it. I do however have the 100mm F2.8 and it is a great lens. It is definitely in the top 3 lenses from my 12 lens Konica set. Very sharp, even wide open and renders background blur beautifully. Here are a few shots that I took with it: http://www.flickr.com/photos/96271228@N08/sets/72157637097342016/

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, i too found the 100 excellent, imo visibly better than the 'famed' 85.

btw, for whoever might care, i am selling my 3 favorite remaining konica lenses, the 24/2.8, 57/1.4 and this 100 as a set for $225 and i will throw in very nice tc and tc-x cameras as well.
tony

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To clean the outside surface of a lens i always use a glasscleaner. Just spray it in a microfiber cloth and clean the lens, that's all!!! Wink

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats! Look forward your shoots!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My AR 100/2.8 also has fungus in it (the only of my ~15 Konica lenses that has it), but it seems to be on the front of the second element, so it needs to be opened from the front (which I can´t do until my set of rubber name ring removers arrives).

For cleaning the outside of lenses, I always use 70 % ethanol and a microfibre cloth. No residue whatsoever and removes most of the stuff you can find on a lens barrel/cap. Stubborn sticker marks are easily removed with a petroleum-based solvent (I use something called chemically pure gasoline, but I don't think it´s called that anywhere else).

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TrueLoveOne wrote:
To clean the outside surface of a lens i always use a glasscleaner. Just spray it in a microfiber cloth and clean the lens, that's all!!! Wink

I need a better degreaser, but not one so aggressive it eats the white paint away (I have one of those Smile), windows cleaner just doesn't do the trick to clean al the much and hand grease (smoke, what ever).

sceptic wrote:
My AR 100/2.8 also has fungus in it (the only of my ~15 Konica lenses that has it), but it seems to be on the front of the second element, so it needs to be opened from the front (which I can´t do until my set of rubber name ring removers arrives).

For cleaning the outside of lenses, I always use 70 % ethanol and a microfibre cloth. No residue whatsoever and removes most of the stuff you can find on a lens barrel/cap. Stubborn sticker marks are easily removed with a petroleum-based solvent (I use something called chemically pure gasoline, but I don't think it´s called that anywhere else).

Ill try that, chemically pure gasoline- aaah WD40 Smile But petroleum based stuff usually removes the paint too Smile
P.S. Removing the front ring is easily done with rubber (surgical) gloves.
Can you show me where you bought these rubber -ring removers?

Attila wrote:
Congrats! Look forward your shoots!

Coming up, but the weather is so bad over here rains almost every day.

rbelyell wrote:
yes, i too found the 100 excellent, imo visibly better than the 'famed' 85.

btw, for whoever might care, i am selling my 3 favorite remaining konica lenses, the 24/2.8, 57/1.4 and this 100 as a set for $225 and i will throw in very nice tc and tc-x cameras as well.
tony

Thats a great price, what versions are they? the latest or the splined metal ones?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice collection you got there.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sceptic wrote:

In my experience from cleaning Konica Hexanon lenses, you do not need to remove the name ring on the front of the lens to open the lens up from the front (atleast I have never bothered removing them to get into the front of the lens). There are typically screws on the front protective barrel. Once those are removed, you can unscrew the front protective barrel along with the name ring still attached. Typically these screws are hidden, and are either under the lens hood (if the lens has one), or in your case, they are hidden underneath the very end of the focus barrel (the very end of the focus barrel is actually not physically attached to the focus barrel, and can be unscrewed from the focus barrel to reveal the screws that are used to hold the front protective barrel in place.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Konica AR 100mm & 35mm f2 Reply with quote

Dogtag wrote:
anybody know a easy way of cleaning lenses externally without removing the paint?

Alcohol and a lot of patience.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

verbatimium wrote:

In my experience from cleaning Konica Hexanon lenses, you do not need to remove the name ring on the front of the lens to open the lens up from the front (atleast I have never bothered removing them to get into the front of the lens). There are typically screws on the front protective barrel. Once those are removed, you can unscrew the front protective barrel along with the name ring still attached. Typically these screws are hidden, and are either under the lens hood (if the lens has one), or in your case, they are hidden underneath the very end of the focus barrel (the very end of the focus barrel is actually not physically attached to the focus barrel, and can be unscrewed from the focus barrel to reveal the screws that are used to hold the front protective barrel in place.

Are you sure about this for the 100/2.8 specifically? My 135/3.5 and 3.2 unscrew just like you describe, but there you can see the grub screw(s) when looking at the barrel. Om my 100, there is no sign of any screw on the front barrel or the focusing grip.

Dogtag wrote:

I´ll try that, chemically pure gasoline- aaah WD40 But petroleum based stuff usually removes the paint too

No, not WD-40. That´s a lubricant and not a solvent (even though it probably dissolves grease as well). I´m talking about pure naphta, like lighter fluid/Zippo fuel. The stuff I use is very volatile (more so than lighter fuel), so it evaporates instantly and is great for dissolving finger grease and helical grease. I have never had any issue with paint being dissolved.

My only paint-removing incident was the blue "VMC", written on the name ring on my Vivitar S1 90/2.5, which did not like being washed with alcohol.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sceptic wrote:
verbatimium wrote:

Are you sure about this for the 100/2.8 specifically? My 135/3.5 and 3.2 unscrew just like you describe, but there you can see the grub screw(s) when looking at the barrel. Om my 100, there is no sign of any screw on the front barrel or the focusing grip.

I have never opened up the 100mm this way, but I have with the 85mm (the little top of the focus ring easily unscrews to reveal a small screw holding the protective front barrel in place. I am amusing that the 100mm is the same way.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

verbatimium wrote:

I have never opened up the 100mm this way, but I have with the 85mm (the little top of the focus ring easily unscrews to reveal a small screw holding the protective front barrel in place. I am amusing that the 100mm is the same way.

That´s very good to know, since I have a 85 with some play in the focusing, perhaps one of those screws has come loose.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sceptic wrote:
verbatimium wrote:

That´s very good to know, since I have a 85 with some play in the focusing, perhaps one of those screws has come loose.

Those screws will only affect the attachment of the front protective barrel, and will have no impact on how loose or tight the focus barrel is.