Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Carl Zeiss Jena Biometar 120mm lenses
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:00 pm    Post subject: Carl Zeiss Jena Biometar 120mm lenses Reply with quote

What is your experience with these lenses ?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Attila, concerning your question, I 've loaded comparison of CZJ Biometar 120mm with Hasselblad Planar 120mm, so you can build your own opinion.
First Biometar, second Hasselblad
Regards

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked I see no real difference , what is your opinion ?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Differences are tiny at most.
My understanding is the biometer is a Planar/Sonnar hybrid.
I'm on my PDA and won't search for a diagram to link.
Maybe someone has it handy ( Jiri, Klaus Smile )

edit
Well now on the bigger screen I see the hassie is smoother in transition/OOF and sharper.
Still though the Biometer looks pretty nice. It can be quite inexpensive at times although the adapter for DSLR is an expense.

Last edited by F16SUNSHINE on Sat Aug 22, 2009 2:00 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the hassy better, the bokeh is less agressive for this subject.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the Hasselblad lens more, bokeh is smoother and white flowers are sharper (less glow). Are both shots thaken at the same aperture value?

I have never bought Biometar 120/2.8 - I don't use medium format camera and this lens is quite expensive to use it as SLR/DSLR lens via adapter. Many 135mm lenses are cheaper and more suitable for DSLR (smaller, no need of expensive P6 adapter, some of them have smoother bokeh).

As I remember, 120/2.8 P6 Biometar, 80/2.8 P6 Biometar, old M42/exakta 80/2.8 Biometar and Tomioka Macro Yashinon 60/2.8 are all based on hybrid 5/4 planar/sonnar design, which is in fact reversed Meyer Macro-Plasmat or Zeiss Macro Prakticar Smile

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1- the biometar, like almost all the CZJ lenses is in the warm side (a bit, yes, but warm) and the planar is in the neutral/cold one. Difference: the pics with the CZJ are more yellowish tone. See the background and the "white" flowers.

2- As the biometar 80, the 120 is an hybrid (planar-sonnar) and what is it? This characteristic do: the borders in the planar pics could be sharper at F/ 2,8, 4, 5,6 and 8 than the biometar ones, and the planar's F/2,8, 4 and 5,6 centers are sharpers too. The biometar can win at f/ 11-16.

3- I think that The differences can't be watch totality in the monitor. With print, proytection slides, etc. the lenses can operate all its potentiality.

I prefer the´planar design.

Rino.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

let me simply cite my lens-buddy Marc James Small who elaborated on that lens in 1997 in a forum I was part of:
<<start>>
Prior to the Second War, Ernst Wandersleb, head of optical design at Carl Zeiss Jena, began to re-examine the six-element symmetrical Planar to see whether its flare problem could be tamed by lens coating. He assigned a young assistance, Dr Hans Sauer, to do the actual work. When the Zeiss's split in the later 1940's, Sauer went west to Oberkochen but much of his work stayed behind at Jena. Thus, both companies built the same design. As Western Courts awarded ownership of Zeiss trademarks to Oberkochen, the Jena lenses had to be marked 'Biometar' when sold in the West, while Carl Zeiss lenses sold in the East were marked as 'Opton T' or 'P' as late as 1989.

The Biometar and Planar are thus identical lenses with identical performance. Jena lacked quality metals and fine lubricants, so some Jena lenses of the period suffer from poor lensmounts, but then, Oberkochen did not enjoy as fine a supply of optical glasses until the late 1950's, so it all evened out in the end.
<<end>>

Designs ( (c) Frank Mechelhoff ):

Biometar:

Planar:

Well, but there are some tests, which speak another language ( (c) Rick Denny):

Cited from his excellent site: http://www.rickdenney.com/mother_lens_test.htm There is much more detail testing done there, certainly worth reading esp. Eastern Bloc lenses vs. Western lenses!!

Cheers,

Last edited by kds315* on Sat Aug 22, 2009 4:20 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you guys to make it clear to me!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:
let me simply cite my lens-buddy Marc James Small who elaborated on that lens in 1997 in a forum I was part of:
<<start>>
Prior to the Second War, Ernst Wandersleb, head of optical design at Carl Zeiss Jena, began to re-examine the six-element symmetrical Planar to see whether its flare problem could be tamed by lens coating. He assigned a young assistance, Dr Hans Sauer, to do the actual work. When the Zeiss's split in the later 1940's, Sauer went west to Oberkochen but much of his work stayed behind at Jena. Thus, both companies built the same design. As Western Courts awarded ownership of Zeiss trademarks to Oberkochen, the Jena lenses had to be marked 'Biometar' when sold in the West, while Carl Zeiss lenses sold in the East were marked as 'Opton T' or 'P' as late as 1989.

The Biometar and Planar are thus identical lenses with identical performance. Jena lacked quality metals and fine lubricants, so some Jena lenses of the period suffer from poor lensmounts, but then, Oberkochen did not enjoy as fine a supply of optical glasses until the late 1950's, so it all evened out in the end.
<<end>>

Designs ( (c) Frank Mechelhoff ):

Biometar:

Planar:

Well, but there are some tests, which speak another language ( (c) Rick Denny):

Cited from his excellent site: http://www.rickdenney.com/mother_lens_test.htm There is much more detail testing done there, certainly worth reading esp. Eastern Bloc lenses vs. Western lenses!!

Cheers,

HI Klauss.

Here we are talking about the hasselblad's planar, not the rollei's planar.

Your planar's scheme is the rollei's planar ones. Not hasselblad one.

Hasselblad planars and biometars are really very differents lenses. The excelence of zeiss hasselblad lenses not the same of the biometar quality. And the designs of hassy planars not the biometar ones.

Rino.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To my eye the Planar looks sharper, cooler, and has better bokeh.

--Geoff

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, even though this thread is out of the dark ages, here are some images of 120mm Biometar on Nikon.
Cheers
OH

100% crop
OUCH - very sharp:D Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

100% crop

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldhand wrote:
Yes, even though this thread is out of the dark ages, here are some images of 120mm Biometar on Nikon.
Cheers
OH

That thread really is out of the dark ages!
Thanks for sharing these very nice photos though, there weren't enough samples in the original post.
Do you use this lens very much?
Now that I have a P6 to EOS adapter I could be using a lens like that.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

uddhava wrote:
Oldhand wrote:
Cheers
OH

That thread really is out of the dark ages!
Thanks for sharing these very nice photos though, there weren't enough samples in the original post.
Do you use this lens very much?
Now that I have a P6 to EOS adapter I could be using a lens like that.

I have the 80mm as well and was going to use this one for portraits, since my son uses my 80mm all the time.
I find it a little too long for that, so have resorted to using it for short telephoto work.
It is a very fine lens, if not that popular.
OH

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

120mm was one of the best portrait lens in Eastern block on medium format with 180mm Sonnar I love them both. I still like best to use it on Pentacon Six and P645

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was hardly the dark ages! Very Happy F16sunshine and no-x were amazing, knowledgeable members and now don't post anymore.

What is actually missing out of that mother-of-all-lens-tests chart is the Vega 120. I always enjoyed my copy immensely and it compares favorably in other test Rick Denny has done. This is a pretty old one from a Kiev 6c:

Last edited by themoleman342 on Fri Nov 15, 2013 4:30 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow, that vega is indeed awesome, and as i recall, very similar to the rendering i got from the biometar 120. that biometar was simply put one of the top 2-3 lenses i ever used, i just loved it. do i recall that vega was some offshoot of zeiss? i say this be ause i remember distinctly the vega 80 being compared to the biometar 80 again yielding astoundingly similar results....

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Vega 120 must be a different design. No doubt 5 elements since the "Vega" name almost always denotes that but the profile is significantly different than the Biometar. The B120 is more than twice the length of the V120. Actually the V120 is only slightly longer than the Volna 80. The Vega 90mm, in my personal opinion, has a similar character to the Biometar 80, while the Volna 80 draws a picture with a dissimilar quality.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

themoleman342 wrote:
while the Volna 80 draws a picture with a dissimilar quality.

Yes they are very different, I've had both together some time ago, and I remember they looked quite different.
I liked the volna better than the biometar, so I sold the biometar.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Vega lenses are not all Biometars but they are all similar to the Biometar type:

Biometar 2.8/120:

Vega-9 2.1/50:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, I didn't realize the V120 was a 6-element design. Always assumed 5 since it was named a Vega. Even though I've taken a couple apart, I guess I never noted that. Thanks for the info.