Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Strange marking on a Biotar
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 5:17 pm    Post subject: Strange marking on a Biotar Reply with quote

This is the first time I see such marking on a Jena 58mm f2 Biotar:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Carl-Zeiss-Jena-C-Z-Jena-F2-58mm-Lens-from-Germany-M42-mount-/370865244912?pt=Camera_Lenses&hash=item56594a8af0

Have anyone seen similar marking before?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a strange lens, the serial number is not part of the usual CZJ sequence. I've never seen the red diamond before either.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This came up before on the forums. I defer to Attila, who believed it to be fake:

http://forum.mflenses.com/viewtopic.php?t=15507

EDIT: Looking more closely, except for the name ring, the one on the Bay looks exactly like my Biotar, down to little details like how the aperture indicator marks overlap to the front of the ring.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Genuine Zeiss with added after-marked ring. Remove it and you should see the original name ring with usually erased Zeiss and Bioatar name.

Klaus

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

exaklaus wrote:
Genuine Zeiss with added after-marked ring. Remove it and you should see the original name ring with usually erased Zeiss and Bioatar name.

Why people would do that?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Legal battle I think .
Here is my Tessar with proper 1Q label and also C.Z ...

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There were several after-market rings, used by the US-importers to avoid problems with trademark infringments.
Meyer Primoplans were named Astraplan, A-Traplan, Imoplan...
Tessar lenses were renamed as Ernst Abbe Jena, Tess-Interimar...
Biotar lenses as B, Otar...

Klaus

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a nice collection klaus, Cool

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
That's a nice collection klaus, Cool

Just a few left-overs, that have cummulated during the years... wouldn't call it a collection.

Klaus

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you still have the lenses that these extra front rings came from? They must be more common in the US and Europe.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Do you still have the lenses that these extra front rings came from? They must be more common in the US and Europe.

No, don't have this lenses. These rings came from crap lenses. But I have some complete ones.
You can find this disguised lenses only in USA. The place, you can find strange things and where strange things happen.

Klaus

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

exaklaus wrote:
Quote:

No, don't have this lenses. These rings came from crap lenses. But I have some complete ones.
You can find this disguised lenses only in USA. The place, you can find strange things and where strange things happen.

Klaus

Laughing Laughing

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hm - this is interesting

so, is this actually Biotar then ?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/carl-zeiss-jena-58mm-f2-lens-/171168018176?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEWNX%3AIT&nma=true&si=5Rv8U5f7dOebQ2jiAi92xdkx4Zk%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

thanks

tf

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course. Jena and f2 58mm = Biotar.

S = Sonnar
T= Tessar
B = Biotar or Biometar

I see ones marked B, S or T often, never seen a Flektogon marked just F though.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
Of course. Jena and f2 58mm = Biotar.

S = Sonnar
T= Tessar
B = Biotar or Biometar

I see ones marked B, S or T often, never seen a Flektogon marked just F though.

It's because the fleks were postwar designs, wholly original to CZJ - so there were no fights over the trademark.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah yeah, of course. Smile