Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Carl Zeiss Jena 300/4 Sonnars vs. CZJ Prakticar 300/4
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:33 am    Post subject: Carl Zeiss Jena 300/4 Sonnars vs. CZJ Prakticar 300/4 Reply with quote

My PB->m42 conversion of the Prakticar lens is still a work in progress, but I took the len out today anyhow.

My observation is that Prakticar is slightly superior to all the other Carl Zeiss Jena 300mm lenses - very sharp, maybe a bit more contrasty, nice bokeh (with the usual reservations regarding axial-CA) and most importantly, it has less the above mentioned axial-CA and other color fringing than the earlier CZJ 300mm lenses. (I am comparing to both the Sonnar and the lighter and newer "Sonnar").

It is also a lot more comfortable to use in the field, being lighter and more compact and having the build in metal hood. I never really wanted to carry the other 300's anywhere, but this I am happy to walk around with.

The only negatives are the mount - Praktica-B makes it a bit less interesting for many people, and the six-blade aperture compared to seven-blade ones of the older lenses. At the moment my conversion is still unfinnished, so I have locked the aperture into wide open position, so for me the blade-count is not relavent at this time, if ever.

Here are a couple of quick shots:

Sorry, no squirrels were available today.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very cute also, light is so great on second one. Great job!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice shots!
I really like the OOF bokeh from each of these, though the CA really is becomes my main culprit as I really like using my TC when birding and stuff.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both are great. You must be happy having two pleased 300mm lenses.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 nice captures!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

djmike wrote:
Both are great. You must be happy having two pleased 300mm lenses.

Actually I have four 300/4 lenses from Carl Zeiss Jena Wink

I must admid that it took this Praktica to finally make me like shooting at the focal lenght Smile Too bad my shoulder bag which is otherwise perfect, is just a bit too small for this lens...

Today the light was just very bad, but here are a couple of shots with the Praktica.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

An update would be great Smile!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Prakticar 300/4 as well. It's an extremely nice lens. Had to clean aperture blades on mine, but once cleaned, it takes sharp photos even wide open with almost no purple fringing and very little CA. It's a notch better than the newer MC "Sonnar" 300/4, which already is a great lens.