Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Rollei 80S film - feedback/reviews?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 10:39 pm    Post subject: Rollei 80S film - feedback/reviews? Reply with quote

This film has been out for some time and I'm still waiting to try it.

Not seen any great reviews of it - maybe most of us are sticking to Ilford Pan F+ and Fuji Acros/Kodak TMax, but Rollei films (? Maco production) seem to be more innovative than the big two and the smaller third mainstream film manufacturers.

Any feedback or views on this film? What's it good for, and how does it compare to the best of the current fine grain good tone films on the market?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had once I think , easily mark as one of the best film what I did use, tonality, grain all stunning.

http://forum.mflenses.com/konica-baby-pearl-rollei-retro-80s-127-rollfilm-t41188,highlight,%2Bbaby.html

Made with an old pre-war uncoated camera, no filter.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks!

I remember you posting about it on your fabulous Konicas before Smile

What are you developing it in:?

What about the curl? It drives me crazy with those curly Maco films which roll as tight as a spring.

No matter how good the filmis, I get scratches all over trying to undo them so that the nice negatives are all wasted.

Is there a way to get rid of the curl on the Rollei 80S? or is it there because of no anti-curl layer?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a piece of heavy glass sold by our member www.scanassist.org, no matter how curly it keeps film flat. Actual favorite developer is Kodak D-76 or Microphen they are develop everything at same time stock dilution 20C 7 min., I can mix all kind of film in tank what I have from 40 yrs expired Ilford to fresh Fomapan, Orwo, Kodak etc works, tonality is nice , grain too. After each 4 rolls I extend time with 1 minutes. I did try it up to 30 rolls works, shelf life what I did try was 2 monthes.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, it's great panchromatic film with comparable low grain and high resolution. I've also tried it a few times and have still some left.
Be careful, it's has a low dynamic range and is very contrasty!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Rollei 80S film - feedback/reviews? Reply with quote

Riverseries wrote:

Any feedback or views on this film? What's it good for, and how does it compare to the best of the current fine grain good tone films on the market?

Great film for me:
http://forum.mflenses.com/rollei-retro-80s-zeiss-ikon-various-lenses-t53232,highlight,%2Brollei+%2B80s.html

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's Agfa aerial film respooled, so top quality. Needs to be developed for an extended time in a less active developer to get the best out of it in tonality terms. I only shot two rolls, wish I could find some cheap.