Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

All negs are blue, what happened?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:53 am    Post subject: All negs are blue, what happened? Reply with quote

I send 2 rolls to the developing lab. Both well expired, 2005-2007 or something like that, and both Kodak. One Gold Ultra 400 which turned out perfectly, and one Gold 200 of which all pictures are blue. They don't have a blue cast, they're just blue.... see the example.

At first i thought it might be my scanner, but the other roll is just perfect.

What could have possibly caused this? The fact that it was an expired film? I have never seen something like this. See the example, it's straight from the negative, nothing altered!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This phenomenon seems to appear now and then:
http://ludens.cl/photo/processor/processor.html

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a few posts that explain all about this on another site I am a member of called APUG... it would be easier to just pop over there and do a search... i know I read one a few weeks ago... I have never had this happen though as I do mostly B & W... but yea, hope that helps.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like it has been cross processed. Deliberate cross processing of expired colour films is unpredictable and often extraordinary. This screenshot ( a reference shot taken of a computer monitor display of the scan) of a photo was taken on expired slide film which was processed C-41. The lens was a manual focus 70-210 Micro Nikkor.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not sure how the Provia blue relates to 200CN - it is CN right?

I only heard that some Sensias turned out badly with some labs and people got better results from Eurocolor/Fuji who are said to use fresh batches and a slightly improved E6 process. But this was said to be a brown/cinnamon hue.
I didn't see much improvement in FCr100 from 1990, they stay pretty "vintage look" lilac-y; but then the other vendor may have sent them to EC anyway...

To the blue image (which actually looks fine in itself)
It is not all blue, there is red on the stone
Green seems to be lacking pretty much

However I think I can see white in the lamp pole and in the stars in the sky

It almost looks like you took Tungsten film..

So honestly I don't know what this isl did you scan that (with what software, parameters? C41 is tricky) or is that the "improved" image from the lab?
The film may have gone into weird color "undercross territory" due to age and maybe underexposure. The blacks of FCr100 turned green..

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My guess is Tungstein film too, check again box if you have it.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
My guess is Tungstein film too, check again box if you have it.

No no, absolutely not, it was Kodak Gold 200, but expired for a long time, 10 years plus i guess. The other roll of Kodak 400 was developed at the same time, nothing weird there.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you looked at the negatives, compared to the good roll? It could be a bum scan, who knows...

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like i said in the original topic: i scanned the other roll at the same time, and switched negs to be sure, the ones from the Kodak 400 were perfect, the scans from the Kodak 200 were blue.

I'd have to search for the negs, i might have thrown them away, i tried several options at that time, i don't remember what i exactly did with them after i got over my dissapointment.... it's been a few months now.....

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can recover the shots in PS, but the shot is not very good quality and that would suggest from your post info that either it was crap dev, or the film was sitting on a rock in the middle of the Sahara desert for 8 years.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Expired color film is really unpredictable. The color dyes react in a less stable and predictable manner to time and storage than do the silver halide crystals. I've had this happen with expired color film not through a lab fault but simply because the film was old and had degraded. THis is part of the fun and heartbreak in using expired film.