Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Biogon 25 - Corno alle Scale
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 2:09 pm    Post subject: Biogon 25 - Corno alle Scale Reply with quote

The "Corno alle Scale" mountain (1945 meters altitude), seen from Monteacuto (province of Bologna, Emilian Apennines)
It was very near the Gothic Line.
Biogon 2.8/25, M9, Lightroom 5

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey,
cool composition, and nice contrast,
but it seems somekind of blue-ish, maybe adjust the whitebalance.
The clouds look strangly blue Smile
But overall, nice pic!
Cheers,
Timo

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Räbenfluch wrote:
Hey,
cool composition, and nice contrast,
but it seems somekind of blue-ish, maybe adjust the whitebalance.
The clouds look strangly blue Smile
But overall, nice pic!
Cheers,
Timo

+1 The blue clouds were the first thing I noticed, but the greens in the vegetation are magic.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys! I applied a "Provia" preset to the image because the original looked too digital for my taste.
I then tweaked it down a bit but perhaps I should have toned down the blue furtherly.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
Thanks guys! I applied a "Provia" preset to the image because the original looked too digital for my taste.
I then tweaked it down a bit but perhaps I should have toned down the blue furtherly.

Great scenery! The blue clouds do look a bit strange but if this is how you saw and experienced it, so be it!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovely area and there must be a road at the bottom as I can see some houses.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gurdie wrote:
Great scenery! The blue clouds do look a bit strange but if this is how you saw and experienced it, so be it!

Thanks Gurdie

Excalibur wrote:
Lovely area and there must be a road at the bottom as I can see some houses.

Yes, there is a river and near to it a valley floor road, The valley is very steep and awkward.
This image explains better than any text, I think, the difficulty that Italy has always had in building a network of infrastructures
compared to other EU countries where there are no mountains, or where mountains are low or in a limited area.
This photo also gives an idea why it was a hell for Hannibal to move through the paeninsula with his army of elephants,
and why it took so long to allied troops of WW2 to get to northern Italy in spite of the fact that they had double the number of soldiers and many times the number of airplanes than the axis.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah Hannibal.....Well I could change the thread talking about the Romans Rolling Eyes But you have admire them (Romans) as they never gave up no matter how many times they were defeated in battle......over about 1000 years.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful shot. Things often look blue at altitude so the colour balance looks fine to me.

As to why it took so long for the Allies to conquer Italy, that is a largely tale of two men - Field Marshall Albert Kesselring and General Mark Clark. The former was a genius, the latter was incompetent.

Kesselring was Germany's defensive expert, despite being a Luftwaffe General, he had bee in the Army for decades prior to that and he organised a perfectly co-ordinated defense that made maximum use of the terrain.

Clark was an egotistical fool, he cared more about getting his name in the papers than running a effective campaign, why he was never sacked is beyond me, someone like Omar Bradley or Courtney Hodges would have done a far better job. Clark's biggest blunder (among many) was to waste the opportunity to cutoff the German forces and effectively end the campaign. After the landings at Anzio, there was a window of opportunity where nothing stood between Clark's forces and the German lines of communication. He should have driven inland immediately, heading east, severing the lines of communication and retreat for the German armies fighting to the south, that would have effectively ended the Italian campaign. However, being an egomaniac, Clark chose to head north to Rome, entering the Eternal City on 4th June 1944. Clark got what he wanted - a triumphal entry into Rome and his face splashed all over the front of the newspapers. Ironically, his fame lasted for less than 48 hours because on the 6th, the Allies landed in Normandy. By going t Rome, Clark allowed the German forces to melt away to the north and Kesselring was able to form a defensive line north of Rome that the Allies butted their heads against throughout the winter of 44. Clark's ego cost tens of thousands of men's lives and imho, he should have been court martialled.

Alexander, the Allied Supreme Commander in the Mediterranean had a terribly difficult job, balancing out the egos and nationalistic pride of his multi-national force, if he had been able to,he would have removed Clark, but US political pressure meant that wasn't possible, he did request Clark be replaced more than once, but he couldn't outright sack him.