Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Tamron 90mm f2.5 52BB - two issues
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 5:07 pm    Post subject: Tamron 90mm f2.5 52BB - two issues Reply with quote

OK, so both copies of the Tamron 90mm f2.5 52BB I purchased last month finally arrived and I got the opportunity to test it. Boy, these are just as sharp as they say Smile Don't know if it can be beaten at ~$100.

My cat was the first victim:

1/250, f/5.6, looks pretty neat to me Smile especially considering it was made handheld with flash bounced of wall/ceiling in a dark corridor:

1:1 of the above photo:

HOWEVER, even though both lenses arrived in pretty good shape, both have issues I'd like to resolve.

1. The first one has a slight play on the focusing ring. It would be nothing to write home about if moving the focus ring wouldn't affect the aperture iris. Even if I didn't care that, let's say: f/4.0 is really f/4.0, such behavior affects light repeatability in a series of photos.

Here is a short video to demonstrate what I'm talking about:
http://vimeo.com/69810889

And here goes a video showing what effect this issue has on light (filmed the live view screen on my 60D since it's more readable than filming VF) :
http://vimeo.com/69850256

I've been suggested that this can be a problem with the attachment of the aperture to the lens barrel but I'd be thankful for every suggestion as to what can be the cause and the solution.

2. The second copy is nice and tight but for a change the focusing ring has certain bluntness to it, especially toward both ends of the scale. It also produces this blunt sound at the same time as if there was some friction involved. To give you some imagination: it feels as if there was a grain of sand trapped in helicoids. Of course, I'm sure there is no sand inside Smile but this is how it feels.

Do you have any idea as to what may be causing this feeling? Something needs greasing or is there another problem? If it needs servicing indeed, I wouldn't like to ruin an otherwise perfectly good lens just by using it.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 5:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Tamron 90mm f2.5 52BB - two issues Reply with quote

kido wrote:

1. The first one has a slight play on the focusing ring. It would be nothing to write home about if moving the focus ring wouldn't affect the aperture iris. Even if I didn't care that, let's say: f/4.0 is really f/4.0, such behavior affects light repeatability in a series of photos.

This is a well known issue with this lens; the problem is into the too long focus "brackets"; if you take the lens apart, you will probably find that the screws that hold these two long metal brackets are untighten; just tight them; if it does not work, you will need to slightly enlarge the terminal part of the brackets with a screwdriver, there is a kind of fork, and must be enlarged a little. Difficult to explain, but easy to understand if you take the lens apart.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Tamron 90mm f2.5 52BB - two issues Reply with quote

Ultrapix wrote:
if you take the lens apart, you will probably find that the screws that hold these two long metal brackets are untighten; just tight them; if it does not work, you will need to slightly enlarge the terminal part of the brackets with a screwdriver, there is a kind of fork, and must be enlarged a little. Difficult to explain, but easy to understand if you take the lens apart.

Thanks for the advice, at least now I know what I'll have to face. As you said, I'm sure your description will make perfect sense to me once I'll be looking at the lens internals.

To make things easier, in the meantime I've found this page where someone posted pictures from the process of disassembling his Tammy:

http://www.wiratama.net/2/category/adaptall2a93b47ccbf/1.html

Could you take a look and tell me up to which point I'll have to take mine apart and which are the screws you are referring to (if you can spot these on his photos)?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This may help http://forum.mflenses.com/tamron-sp90-2-5-52b-help-t49361,highlight,%2Btamron.html

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Tamron 90mm f2.5 52BB - two issues Reply with quote

kido wrote:
Ultrapix wrote:
if you take the lens apart, you will probably find that the screws that hold these two long metal brackets are untighten; just tight them; if it does not work, you will need to slightly enlarge the terminal part of the brackets with a screwdriver, there is a kind of fork, and must be enlarged a little. Difficult to explain, but easy to understand if you take the lens apart.

Thanks for the advice, at least now I know what I'll have to face. As you said, I'm sure your description will make perfect sense to me once I'll be looking at the lens internals.

To make things easier, in the meantime I've found this page where someone posted pictures from the process of disassembling his Tammy:

Could you take a look and tell me up to which point I'll have to take mine apart and which are the screws you are referring to (if you can spot these on his photos)?

Sorry, that's a newer model, doesn't help...

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tervueren wrote:
This may help http://forum.mflenses.com/tamron-sp90-2-5-52b-help-t49361,highlight,%2Btamron.html

Yes, it helps, but pictures are showing too little Smile

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone for your input. Just to make sure we're on the same page:

- both lenses I have are 52BB, the newer version, just as the one here:

- the one being dismantled here looks like the older 52B:
http://forum.mflenses.com/tamron-sp90-2-5-52b-help-t49361,highlight,%2Btamron.html

Don't know if there is much difference in the mechanics, but I'm mentioning the above in case there is.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kido wrote:

http://forum.mflenses.com/tamron-sp90-2-5-52b-help-t49361,highlight,%2Btamron.html

Don't know if there is much difference in the mechanics, but I'm mentioning the above in case there is.

Sorry, my mistake, I though it was the first version; BTW should be the same thing... in step 6 you see two long arms; they look different from those I remember in the earlier model, but check if they have a play into their slots... so, you can start from the front Wink

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stunning photos Shocked

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a classic lens, mine just sits on the desk ready for action, I rarely leave home without it. Cool

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here we go again. . . eBay's calling me. . . Smile

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ultrapix wrote:
check if they have a play into their slots... so, you can start from the front Wink

Thanks. It seems that since I got into the used MF lenses game, it might be a good thing to get me a proper lens spanner. Somehow I don't like the idea of opening the lens with two screwdrivers in a vise Very Happy The Chinese spanners available on eBay have tempting prices but looking at its design doesn't feel me with confidence. Is skgrimes the only reasonable choice or is there something cheaper yet trustworthy on the market?

At least I know the most probable cause. Can someone come up with a suggestion as to what can be wrong with the second lens? If my description is not enough I can record the sound it makes Smile

The bluntness I mentioned is not subtle, you can really feel and hear it. Maybe something happened during the shipping, but then again the seller protected it very well and customs didn't open the package. The strange thing is that at times the bluntness is more pronounced and at times it almost disappear. Maybe all the shaking during the journey loosened some tiny part (spring, screw, broken piece of plastic?) and it got into helicoids? Don't know if it's even possible, it would have to be really tiny not to lock the whole thing.

Probably at some point I'll have to open that one too, need to make sure I'm not producing any grooves just by focusing.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SonicScot wrote:
Stunning photos Shocked

Thank you. Since these are my first attempts, every praise means a lot Smile This thing is so much fun. Didn't expect that a MF macro lens will serve me well even for action shots Very Happy Of course I'm usually front- or back-focusing a bit, but who cares? I love the final result.

Handheld, 1/250, f/2.5, flash bounced off ceiling

frenched wrote:
Here we go again. . . eBay's calling me. . . Smile

Oops... seems that prices will go up Smile

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful cat and pictures! Smile

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 'bluntness' you describe - I don't know if it is a similar problem to one I had a few days ago with a Tamron 28-135 3.5/4.5 that I bought, but it had a slight tight spot in the zoom action and I thought that I would have to strip it and repair / lube it as soon as I could. But I carried on using it. Then it jammed solid, absolutely 100% solid. So jammed that I can't even get it apart now.
I'd only bought the lens a couple of hours before and shot maybe 60 pictures, and I liked it. But sadly it is a dead lens now.

My point is, don't use the lens until it is cleaned and checked. Crying or Very sad

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lloydy wrote:
The 'bluntness' you describe

Don't know if I've chosen the right word, I was trying to describe the feeling and the sound at the same time Smile Whether I call it bluntness or dullness I'm referring to friction without significant resistance. Although the focusing looses some of its smoothness (when compared to the other lens) I don't need to force anything to make it turn.

Lloydy wrote:
But sadly it is a dead lens now. My point is, don't use the lens until it is cleaned and checked. Crying or Very sad

Oh, snap! Then I'll better do as you say. Need to get/make the lens spanner ASAP.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kido wrote:

I have the original 52B and I love mine. Fortunately it isn't a victim of the problems you describe.

I have always heard that the differences between the 52B and 52BB are entirely cosmetic. If that's the case, then the forum link you provide should still work for you.

Also, you mentioned you doubt that sand could get inside your lens. Well, I'm here to tell you, it can happen. In some circumstances. It wasn't a Tamron, it was a Vivitar Series 1 28-90. A brat kid threw sand in my face when I was taking a picture of her with that lens and a few grains of it got inside the helical, and I could feel the scratchiness whenever I focused it. I never dismantled the lens -- I just worked the focusing ring back and forth hundreds of times in the hopes of working the grit out of the threads. That worked . . . sort of. Eventually.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Beautiful cat and pictures! Smile

Thank you. Actually these are two different cats, son on the first and mother on the second photo Smile

cooltouch wrote:
I have always heard that the differences between the 52B and 52BB are entirely cosmetic. If that's the case, then the forum link you provide should still work for you.

I've heard the same thing so let's hope the available reading materials plus my manual skills will be enough to get rid of these issues.

cooltouch wrote:
Also, you mentioned you doubt that sand could get inside your lens. Well, I'm here to tell you, it can happen.

Ha!, I thought the moving elements would be sealed in some way. Apparently they are not. Well, in the end, I hope it'll be something simple like sand, dirt or lack of grease and not an issue that will require replacement of some internal parts. The seller swears by his mother the lens was OK when he was shipping it, and to tell you the truth I have no reason not to believe him. Maybe indeed someone at the post office threw/dropped the package or all the shaking on the way here loosened something inside, hence the trouble.