Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

How many variations of the CZJ 2.8/50 Tessar are there?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:53 am    Post subject: How many variations of the CZJ 2.8/50 Tessar are there? Reply with quote

Does anybody have a collection of the all the different barrel styles for this lens?

I also know that the lens was recalculated in the mid 1950s, was this the only time? Or was it improved again later?

I'd be very interested in knowing, if anybody has the answers, thanks in advance!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would hate to think how many variations are out there for this lens...but an interesting question.Do you have any Tessars yourself?

I only have the Aluminum one with the serial 53***** I will post a photo of it soon

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only have a 3.5/50 currently, but I have a 2.8/50 on the way from ebay.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I've had just about all the barrel styles apart from the last PB mount one, which is very rare.

Little difference in my experience, later ones have better coatings.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have 2 version and like you i wanna know how many version dies it have and wichone in best???

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kian wrote:
I have 2 version and like you i wanna know how many version dies it have and wichone in best???

Welcome to the forum Kian

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bet they will perform the same or very close to it. Same lens, just the right hand one is older.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PB Mount Tessar should be better as it is multi-coated?
Click here to see on Ebay

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's only the second one of those I've seen for sale, I already had it in my watch list. It has fungus and the grip is missing, but it is a rare lens.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pre-war brass nickel, post war alu, small and big, leatherette, star war (bakelite grip) zebra, latest MC I know these types.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila, do you know what serial number that the pre war Tessar would start at?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Production started in 1936 with first Exakta SLR.

http://forum.mflenses.com/carl-zeiss-jena-lenses-issue-date-by-serial-number-t6865.html

http://www.mflenses.com/gallery/v/german/zeiss/tessar/?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The tessar design is pretty old now, surely there are many iterations in the design

I have 2 copies of the zebra tessar in m42, both have stiff focus. I took one apart to service it, can't get the bugger back together.... sigh...

I need to weigh up whether it's worth me spending 50 bucks to have my local shop service and reassemble for me.

Conundrum.

-Ben

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is cheaper than what it would cost me. Smile

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

enliten wrote:
The tessar design is pretty old now, surely there are many iterations in the design

Yes but the 2.8/50 specifically first appeared in the 1930s.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do these count?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

surely Smile made for what ? Can you show pictures from sides, rear , front as well?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Used this one last week.
I thought I'd post a photo here as you don't often see them with this focus grip in M42 - at least I haven't seen many.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apart from the sunken mount member tao shown, there are also Tessar mount on Werra camera and much more......

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is rare finish in any focal length I call them 'star war finish' probably I don't have congrats!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xpres,that has the same rear end as the Pancolar 2/50...thanks for posting.Similar styling to this Tessar (image off of *bay) but with different front grip