Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Just bought a Tokina Bokina 90mm 2.5 AT-X Macro f Pentax PK
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 8:03 pm    Post subject: Just bought a Tokina Bokina 90mm 2.5 AT-X Macro f Pentax PK Reply with quote

Wont get it for two-three weeks its coming from Lithuanina, but I sure am excited waiting for it.
Ive read a lot of good things about this lens, and got it for a pretty good price ($355 shipped).
Mine will be in Pentax PK mount. Considering the Pentax A 100mm F2.8 sells for about $750
now, I think I got a good deal. Did I? Is this really one of the sharpest lenses ever made as some
people hype about it??

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the average price for a good condition Bokina. It's not the bargain of the century but in the same time you didn't pay too much for it.
Its hype is legit, this lens is very good and will give you wonderful pictures.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Billou wrote:
This is the average price for a good condition Bokina. It's not the bargain of the century but in the same time you didn't pay too much for it.
Its hype is legit, this lens is very good and will give you wonderful pictures.

I should have mentioned, the one I bought for $355 shipped is in like new, absolute mint condition. The other thing that increases its value
is that its Pentax PK mount so you can use it on a Pentax DSLR without adapters or losing auto aperture function.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now the hard part is having to decided whether I should keep my Lester Dine Kiron 105mm F2.8
macro or not. I have a sentimental attachment to that lens too and its focal length is different
enough from the bokina that it might be worth having both.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hifisapi wrote:
Now the hard part is having to decided whether I should keep my Lester Dine Kiron 105mm F2.8
macro or not. I have a sentimental attachment to that lens too and its focal length is different

keep them both
kiron natively goes to 1:1 magnification while tokina needs matching converter to do that

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WolverineX wrote:
hifisapi wrote:

keep them both
kiron natively goes to 1:1 magnification while tokina needs matching converter to do that

Oh, yeah I forgot about that, but I have a nice novoflex bellows and lenses for high mag work too.
Thanks for the reminder.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Wolverine. Keep both. I also have the Vivitar/Kiron 105/2.5 and I wouldn't part with it, despite the fact that I also own a 55/3.5 Micro-Nikkor, a 90/2.5 Tamron, a 100/4 Canon FD, and a 100/4 Penax SMC-Tak, all macro lenses. The more, the better. I'm still planning to add a Canon FD 50/3.5 Macro to the fold, mostly for old times sake (I owned own years ago), and I wouldn't mind owning a good 200mm macro, but talk about expensive! All the good ones are priced out of sight.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are going to LOVE the Bokina (technically the Bokina II, since the Vivitar Series 1 version is the original Bokina).
I got the PK/A version (mint) with the 1:1 converter and original case for $370 shipped and (like you) was glad to get it for that price. I had the Vivitar Series 1 and sold it for a lot more than that, so was glad to get the PK/A replacement. Non-Pentax shooters may not realize that sometimes the PK mounts sell for a lot more than other mounts. I also have the Pentax-F 100mm f2.8 (an aut*f*cus lens). So far, I have resisted the temptation to sell the F, but I may one day. I think aut*f*cus for macro is wacked.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheekygeek wrote:
Non-Pentax shooters may not realize that sometimes the PK mounts sell for a lot more than other mounts.

Heh. This especially applies to PK "A" lenses. Not at all to the "M" lenses, though, I have found. I'm glad my Pentaxes have no need for PK-A.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

edited

Last edited by bernhardas on Mon Apr 18, 2016 6:00 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

edited

Last edited by bernhardas on Mon Apr 18, 2016 6:01 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:
cheekygeek wrote:
Non-Pentax shooters may not realize that sometimes the PK mounts sell for a lot more than other mounts.

Heh. This especially applies to PK "A" lenses. Not at all to the "M" lenses, though, I have found. I'm glad my Pentaxes have no need for PK-A.

I don't mind K or M lenses on Pentax DSLRS. Ive gotten used to the green button metering I guess. I believe the reason Pentax K and Nikon AI mounts of third party lenses sell for more than other manual focus mounts is that both Pentax and Nikon still make DSLR cameras that are fully compatible with these manual focus lenses. All the other old manual focus mounts have to be adapted or used on mirrorless camera without full capability of the lens.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bernhardas wrote:
The lens has a super high resolution it out resolves 24 aps and 36 fx sensors.
My guess is, that it will also be very competent on the next generation sensors.
There are not many lenses that deliver the same in that price segment.

It is however prone to flare. The nasty grey thick veiling flare.
I always use a hood. When turning towards the light there is a very distinct angle where it goes from clear to full flare within a couple of degrees.

This is somewhat bad news. I am spoiled by my vast array of Pentax SMC lenses which are very resistant to veiling flare. Oh well, I don't mind getting and using hoods, so I guess I will be OK for most of my usage. What confuses me a little on this is my experience or understanding is that veiling flare is flare from highlights in the image and cant be reduced with a hood. Hoods only reduce flare causes by highlights outside the field of view, no?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot to mention, one of the reasons I decided to buy this lens is I have four other
Tokina AT-X zooms and the build quality on those is very nice so I kinda assumed
the prime would be just as nice. Whats the consensous on the build quality, ( focus
and aperture ring smoothness, etc) of this Bokina II?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheekygeek wrote:
You are going to LOVE the Bokina (technically the Bokina II, since the Vivitar Series 1 version is the original Bokina).
I got the PK/A version (mint) with the 1:1 converter and original case for $370 shipped and (like you) was glad to get it for that price. I had the Vivitar Series 1 and sold it for a lot more than that, so was glad to get the PK/A replacement. Non-Pentax shooters may not realize that sometimes the PK mounts sell for a lot more than other mounts. I also have the Pentax-F 100mm f2.8 (an aut*f*cus lens). So far, I have resisted the temptation to sell the F, but I may one day. I think aut*f*cus for macro is wacked.

I briefly owned both the F50/2.8 macro and the F100/2.8 macro but sold them both quickly as I didn't like AF for macro and they both
had poor manual focus "feel". This is nothing new for me as I tend to like manual focus for all situations, not just macro.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hifisapi wrote:
Whats the consensous on the build quality, ( focus and aperture ring smoothness, etc) of this Bokina II?

real quality metal feel of the lens with smooth focusing, nothing plastic about it, not like today's af lenses

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheekygeek wrote:
(technically the Bokina II, since the Vivitar Series 1 version is the original Bokina).

The Vivitar was introduced before the Tokina but that does not make the Vivitar the original "Bokina". The Tokina got its nickname Bokina because of its wonderful bokeh and the name Tokina. Bokeh+Tokina=Bokina. It rhymes. There is no such thing as a Bokina II.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

edited

Last edited by bernhardas on Mon Apr 18, 2016 6:00 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hifisapi wrote:
cooltouch wrote:
cheekygeek wrote:

I don't mind K or M lenses on Pentax DSLRS. Ive gotten used to the green button metering I guess. I believe the reason Pentax K and Nikon AI mounts of third party lenses sell for more than other manual focus mounts is that both Pentax and Nikon still make DSLR cameras that are fully compatible with these manual focus lenses. All the other old manual focus mounts have to be adapted or used on mirrorless camera without full capability of the lens.

I think there's a bit more to it than that. Add in M42 as well, and we all know what's happened to M42 prices over the past few years. All three of these mounts, plus a few others, such as Contax, Leica R, Oly and even Pre-AI Nikkors, can fit Canon EOS with adapters and achieve infinity focus without glass corrective elements.

As a Canon DSLR user with adapters for Nikon, Pentax K and M42, I enjoy the flexibility.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:
hifisapi wrote:
cooltouch wrote:
cheekygeek wrote:

I think there's a bit more to it than that. Add in M42 as well, and we all know what's happened to M42 prices over the past few years. All three of these mounts, plus a few others, such as Contax, Leica R, Oly and even Pre-AI Nikkors, can fit Canon EOS with adapters and achieve infinity focus without glass corrective elements.

As a Canon DSLR user with adapters for Nikon, Pentax K and M42, I enjoy the flexibility.
yes, but when you use lenses on dslrs with adapters you lose the automatic aperture function, not so with Nikon and Pentax on their corresponding dslrs and hence stong popularity.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pontus wrote:
cheekygeek wrote:
(technically the Bokina II, since the Vivitar Series 1 version is the original Bokina).

The Vivitar was introduced before the Tokina but that does not make the Vivitar the original "Bokina". The Tokina got its nickname Bokina because of its wonderful bokeh and the name Tokina. Bokeh+Tokina=Bokina. It rhymes. There is no such thing as a Bokina II.

+1

The Vivitar should be called pre-Bokina, or proto-Bokina.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bernhardas wrote:
It is however prone to flare. The nasty grey thick veiling flare.
I always use a hood. When turning towards the light there is a very distinct angle where it goes from clear to full flare within a couple of degrees.

You have the Tokina 90 - or the Vivitar 90?
I read that the Vivitar is more prone to flare, because of its older coatings - but not sure about this statement.

I own the Vivitar 90, got it with 1:1 extension/converter tube in OM mount for ~110 Euro.
I love the fact that on my Vivitar only one f-stop has jigsaw form, not several stops like in the Tokina 90 version.

Excellent build quality, and high image quality.
But my first tests with Kiron 105 as competitor with ~ same entrance pupil does not seem like the Tokina really gives better Bokeh.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe the term Bokina was coined before Tokina had made their own version. The Tokina made Vivitar was called the Bokina, then the Tokina made Tokina was called Bokina. Differences are minor; more modern coatings on Tokina, but nicer diaphragm blades on Vivitar. I don't have the Tokina branded one, but have read it isn't quite as solid and smooth as the Vivitar. Again, I cannot verify that but can say my Vivitar is excellent in all regards. Flare has not been an issue for me even though I do not use a hood. I have posted pictures recently in the Digital Gallery.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:46 am    Post subject: shootout of bokinaII vs Smc Pentax-A 100/2.8 macro Reply with quote

Has anyone ever done a shootout between the BokinaII and the SMC-Pentax-A 100mm F2.8 Macro which is supposedly
a legendary lens for pentax ( those sell around $750-$1000 now used ). I wouldn't be surprised if the Pentax doesn't have
superior coatings and flare resistance due to its SMC, but are its optics as good as the BokinaII, that is the big question......

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodrim wrote:
I believe the term Bokina was coined before Tokina had made their own version. The Tokina made Vivitar was called the Bokina, then the Tokina made Tokina was called Bokina.

This is not true.

This thread at dpreview was the origin of the Bokina nickname.