Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Tokina RMC 28mm f2.0
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 6:57 pm    Post subject: Tokina RMC 28mm f2.0 Reply with quote

Is anybody can confirm it, lens is exists ?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know if this is legit or not but there was one on eBay recently: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-used-RMC-TORINA-Wide-angle-Lens-/170920258298?item=170920258298&ViewItem=&nma=true&si=u3%2FkEcNi%2Fi5%2BOL9qWOaXyLoAMGI%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

not sure, but I've never heard of it.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks guys! Ebay sale prove it , exists!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Many thanks guys! Ebay sale prove it , exists!

assuming seller didnt list a f2.8 lens as f2.0 in error!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a picture in that eBay ad.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All I can find :

http://www.jr-worldwi.de/photo/index.html?28mm_shootout.html

http://www.jr-worldwi.de/photo/index.html?lenses.html <-- Lens picture right there

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It does exists
that's the same lens I've got. http://forum.mflenses.com/tokina-rmc-28mm-f2-any-info-t53416.html

The filter ring is slightly bent and it need a clean but otherwise it is OK

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And here are some processed samples with Olympus E-P2 and EOS 20D resized to 1600 (click to enlarge).
I think most of them wide open.
Overally I'm not very impressed with it, but maybe that\s just because I'm spoiled by the 2.8/28 Contax G Biogon Very Happy

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's the same as my Soligor C/D 2 / 28 that I have in Minolta MD mount. I have only tried on the XD7 and I seem to remember I wasn't impressed, so it went into a box and I forgot about it. I'll give it a try on the NEX if I get a chance today.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know how to capture eyes very well! I also have this lens in Soligor brand. A fine lens.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

for some reason, the lens looks older than most rmc tokinas. Late 70's rather than early 80's?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is sharpness in this lens, I've seen it. But it's bloody hard to nail down! I took it out today in some sunshine that soon became grey cloud and flat light. I took over 100 shots with it and if I got 10% sharp I would be surprised. But I don't think there's a big fault with the lens, I think it's got a very shallow DoF for the aperture, if such a thing is technically possible?
I took some landscape shots that have great colour and look, at small size, wonderful. Start to blow them up and they are soft. not what I would expect from tripod shots with the NEX5 at ISO 800 on a sunny day. ( I would normally shoot at a maximum of ISO 400 or less but I forgot to change the setting )
I then took a series of shots of some fungus in the woods, the light was constant and again I used a good tripod and the timer.
The main thing I noticed is that keeping the focus set at one point and going the aperture range is not an option with this lens, doing that resulted in a completely useless shot at f2, and f2 is one of the attractions of this lens. I've included a shot at f2 with the lens focus readjusted which is marginally better

All these shots are from the NEX5 at ISO 800, on a tripod.

f16

f11

f8

f5.6

f4

f2.8

f2

Focus readjusted at f2

This is typical of the landscapes I got today, great colours but soft soft soft!

I know there is sharpness in the lens, I love the colours, it's a well made and attractive lens, it has half stops and it's a fast f2 aperture. But it sure as hell isn't an easy lens to get the best out of.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty good for a 'noname' lens , many thanks!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful children series, STD!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like a great portrait lens, almost a soft focus image superimposed over a sharp one.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys,
My boy is Martin 7 years old and going to school at first grade, and the baby girl is Reya- 7 months already. I miss getting a good sleep lately Smile but not complaining they are great kids.

I will see how the lens will behave after the cleaning - now it has some light fungus. Our repairman here was on a vacation in last 3 weeks and i have stocked a big pile of lenses for him already Smile.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another one of those sold on eBay. Looks exactly like the Soligor version, down to the C/D designation. I wonder if the front ring was swapped maybe? Click here to see on Ebay.de

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems not: http://www.digicamclub.de/showthread.php?t=9360
I guess Tokina didn't made different body design to sell under its own brand.