Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Anyone know anything about this lens? Petri C.C auto 28mm f/
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2023 8:34 pm    Post subject: Anyone know anything about this lens? Petri C.C auto 28mm f/ Reply with quote

Hi all,

I received this lens recently (and already have it up on the Bay, as I'm not a big Petri guy), but I was hoping someone should shed some light on it.

It's a Petri C.C auto 28mm f/2.8 with an interesting woven-pattern rubber grip, m42 mount, and flared barrel.

It's a real oddball - I haven't seen any other Petri lenses in this style, either in-house or Cosina-made, and I'm only to find a handful of other examples of it documented on the web, including one here several years ago.

All the examples I can find are serial numbers formatted 1xxxxx. This one has serial 000060!

I'm thinking it's an escaped prototype for a lens that had a very short run, but have any of you seen any other lenses with other branding that have this unique look?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2023 8:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone know anything about this lens? Petri C.C auto 28m Reply with quote

BrianSVP wrote:
Hi all,

I received this lens recently (and already have it up on the Bay, as I'm not a big Petri guy), but I was hoping someone should shed some light on it.

It's a Petri C.C auto 28mm f/2.8 with an interesting woven-pattern rubber grip, m42 mount, and flared barrel.

It's a real oddball - I haven't seen any other Petri lenses in this style, either in-house or Cosina-made, and I'm only to find a handful of other examples of it documented on the web, including one here several years ago.

All the examples I can find are serial numbers formatted 1xxxxx. This one has serial 000060!

I'm thinking it's an escaped prototype for a lens that had a very short run, but have any of you seen any other lenses with other branding that have this unique look?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2023 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe that rubber grip is a custom one but not the original, just like the front cap
The serial number ring might be as well , unless proven the contrary, there many custom lenses out there

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2023 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kiddo wrote:
Maybe that rubber grip is a custom one but not the original, just like the front cap
The serial number ring might be as well , unless proven the contrary, there many custom lenses out there

+1

I guess that I had the same lens branded Elicar. It was a pretty decent lens at its time, but the glass of the front element was incredibly fragile.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2023 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm fairly certain it's a Sigma made lens, the same as their Widemax lens released in 1970, and also badged as XQ possibly (not 100% sure they're the same)

Article about it here: https://www.sigma-sein.com/en/ohsone/28mm_1/

The XQ lens diagram here: http://forum.mflenses.com/sigma-xq-lenses-t73290.html
seems slightly different.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2023 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alun Thomas wrote:
I'm fairly certain it's a Sigma made lens, the same as their Widemax lens released in 1970, and also badged as XQ possibly (not 100% sure they're the same)

+1

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2023 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't think it's a Sigma. More likely Sun Optics.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2023 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kiddo wrote:

Don't think this is right - the other examples of this lens I have been able to locate on the web have the woven pattern, too.

The custom ring idea I find highly unlikely as well. The setup costs alone for a single run would likely have cost more than the lens sold for new. And to simply change the serial number? The fake Russian lenses you see rebranded as Zeiss are a different story - they churned out thousands of those, and changing say a Jupiter into a Zeiss would increase the value a heck of a lot more. This one seems way too obscure.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2023 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ultrapix wrote:

I guess that I had the same lens branded Elicar. It was a pretty decent lens at its time, but the glass of the front element was incredibly fragile.

Are you talking about the one here? https://www.pentaxforums.com/userreviews/elicar-28mm-f28-automatic.html

Does look overall fairly similar, but the aperture ring is in the opposite direction, the focus ring doesn't have the bevel/flare, and this one doesn't have the A/M switch like that one. The Elicar looks like it has 4 securing the mount as well, whereas this one only has 3.

Perhaps cousins from the same factory, but not the same lens?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2023 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alun Thomas wrote:

This is the one I'm buying the most at the moment. The styling looks very similar, especially with the DOF scale and IR dot, but note that the dot is on the opposite side. It does have a mount attached with three screws, too.

However, AFAIK, the Sigma was only ever produced in YS mount. As far as I can tell, the Petri is a fully integrated design m42. I've seen later Sigmas from after YS was "discontnued" where there's actually a hidden YS mount on the interior if you disassemble far enough, but this one doesn't seem to be one of those.

Perhaps an adaptation of the XQ design commissioned by Petri that they axed very quickly before moving to Sun/Cosina? Even the Petris with the expected 1xxxxx serials seem exceedingly rare.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2023 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could be from anyone of literally a dozen low end manufacturers that were in operation in the early to mid 70s. Impossible to guess who made it as they were all outsourcing parts, often to very small factories making very small runs. It's just one of very many cheap, not very good bargain basement lenses that came out at the time when many once proud brands like Petri were defunct as companies and the name had been sold on to someone, it happened a lot.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2023 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
Could be from anyone of literally a dozen low end manufacturers that were in operation in the early to mid 70s. Impossible to guess who made it as they were all outsourcing parts, often to very small factories making very small runs. It's just one of very many cheap, not very good bargain basement lenses that came out at the time when many once proud brands like Petri were defunct as companies and the name had been sold on to someone, it happened a lot.

Eh, I think that's an overly harsh assessment. If this is indeed a variant of the Sigma XQ, it pre-dates the original Petri's bankruptcy by half a decade, and it was a well-regarded lens at the time - as Alun's link explains, it would have been relatively exotic for the time, as an f/2.8 aperture was considered screaming fast for a 28mm at that point.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2023 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nah, 2.8 28s weren't screaming fast at all, everyone and their mother sold one, it was only the first iteration of 28s that were f3.5.

Petri went from designing and selling excellent cameras to selling rebadged cheap stuff, so anything from their last few years simply isn't comparable to their earlier products by a long chalk.

It does look like the Sigma XQ, but that means not much as the XQ range were all over the place in quality terms with several being very poor indeed.