Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

summer trippin' with the biotar 75/1.5
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 3:42 pm    Post subject: summer trippin' with the biotar 75/1.5 Reply with quote

i've been trying to sell this particular lens because its pretty much my only non rangefinder. but i decided to pair it with my gxr m mount via a couple of adapters and use it as a portrait, tight landscape and low light lens on my recent summer road trip down south. it is a tremendous performer. most of you know i'm not a 'wide open' shooter, but you can tell the buttery bokeh on a couple of the flower shots where i was 'closer' to wide open--maybe f2 or 2.8. the rest of the time i was at 5.6 or 8. the lens is stunningly sharp, and when coupled with the lovely bokeh, is i think one of the best portrait lenses ive ever seen.

the first is from Savannah, Georgia, the middle few from Florida, and the last several starting with the 'frog and flower' are from Chattanooga, Tennessee, including a few from that city's excellent aquarium. keep in mind that the gxr is a little long in the tooth sensor-wise, so it has limited high iso, low light ability, and the aquarium shots are all well over the cameras iso 800 quality limit and were taken at f2.

i hope you enjoy!
tony

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tony this lens certainly is special and it shows, though it must be a bit big and heavy when used on a mirrorless camera.
beautiful colors as expected from the Ricoh, the rose pic is fabulous, a truly great one!
the last pic looks very decent for ISO 2500! I have been going until ISO 3200, it's noisy there but Ricoh noise looks good in B&W

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, outstanding definition! I'm a bit different from you, though. With my very fast lenses, I like to exploit the shallow depth of field and blown-out bokeh. But of course the lens has to perform equally as well when stopped down. Which yours certainly does. Not being familiar at all with the 75mm Biotar, I went over to eBay and did a search. Yikes! And I thought my Canon 85mm f/1.2 Aspherical was an expensive optic!

So are most Biotars found in Exakta mount? M42?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sell this must be kidding Smile look at those birds ?! Great series, don't do it !

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the problem is when i am gathering fund and reach 60%, the fund blew out and have to start over Very Happy
very nice. i would keep it, as long as i still can use a camera...

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i cant do it, no one seems to want it! Laughing

thanks guys! attila, i thought you would like the bird shots. they roam around where we stay in florida all the time, and you can get pretty close--5 or 6 feet. so all those are cropped.

yes andreas, it is a big lens on my tiny gxr! and i do think the gxr did well in the aquarium, but my x100 is just a low light champion that its IQ is my standard for judging low light performance...

yeah michael, theyre pretty expensive, but i dont think that IQ and speed can be had for much less. tbh, a fast lens for me is protection for low light situations, like the aquarium. i'm not creative enough to 'see' how to use the shallow DOF, and honestly, 99% of the time that 'look' just doesnt turn me on. for example that rose, which i think really shows off the bokeh, was probably shot at 2.8. i like that most of the subject is in or very close to in focus. i wouldnt have liked it nearly as much if only a couple of petals were focused. i really go for 'context', even in macro or close up. just my style...
tony

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Terrific shot in every sense.

Doesn't hurt to see it again,

Congrats, great lens and great combo with the GXR,

Cheers,

Renato

Last edited by RSalles on Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:09 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

#8 (rose) is perfect!! Congratulations!

Renato please keep the original format when quoting. This gallery has a 1024 pixels limit.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow, thank you guys!
tony

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great Tony, a keeper for sure!!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That 3rd shot of the Heron is popping out of my screen.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
#8 (rose) is perfect!! Congratulations!

Renato please keep the original format when quoting. This gallery has a 1024 pixels limit.

Orio,

1 million of excuses, as I pasted the URL from the big pic version!
I'll modify the post and put the right link right now,

Thanks,

Renato